Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What are the Fire Risks of Burning a CD?

I bought a CD burner and I am planning to burn a CD in a few weeks,
after I read all the manuals, figure out all the wiring, and other
preparatory stuff. I'm worried about fire risks. Should I move the
computer outdoors in case it does burst into flames? How quickly do
these fires spread? Is there any smoke or sparks prior to ignition,
allowing enough time to get an extinguisher?

Posted to alt.home.repair

*I'm worried about fire risks. *Should I move the
computer outdoors in case it does burst into flames?

You would be safer to deep fry a turkey in your living room than to
burn a CD in it. Unless you are facing foreclosure and want to get
out of your current mortgage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 29, 4:22*am, wrote:
I bought a CD burner and I am planning to burn a CD in a few weeks,
after I read all the manuals, figure out all the wiring, and other
preparatory stuff. *I'm worried about fire risks. *Should I move the
computer outdoors in case it does burst into flames? *How quickly do
these fires spread? *Is there any smoke or sparks prior to ignition,
allowing enough time to get an extinguisher?

Remove tongue from inside of cheek! (and preclude the yanking of limbs)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 29, 4:22*am, wrote:
I bought a CD burner and I am planning to burn a CD in a few weeks,
after I read all the manuals, figure out all the wiring, and other
preparatory stuff. *I'm worried about fire risks. *Should I move the
computer outdoors in case it does burst into flames? *How quickly do
these fires spread? *Is there any smoke or sparks prior to ignition,
allowing enough time to get an extinguisher?

Wrap the CD burner in plastic and secure it with packaging tape.

Put it in the bathtub and submerge it in water.

Now you can burn CDs all day long with no worry of fire.

When you get through the water should be warm enough to bathe in.

Please note: I have not tried this yet, it's just my theory.

Lewis.

*****

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 07:34:15 -0700 (PDT), ru4linux2
wrote:

On Mar 29, 4:22*am, wrote:
I bought a CD burner and I am planning to burn a CD in a few weeks,
after I read all the manuals, figure out all the wiring, and other
preparatory stuff. *I'm worried about fire risks. *Should I move the
computer outdoors in case it does burst into flames? *How quickly do
these fires spread? *Is there any smoke or sparks prior to ignition,
allowing enough time to get an extinguisher?

Wrap the CD burner in plastic and secure it with packaging tape.

No, no, no. Wrap the CD itself in tinfoil. That's all that is
necessary.

Put it in the bathtub and submerge it in water.

Now you can burn CDs all day long with no worry of fire.

When you get through the water should be warm enough to bathe in.

Please note: I have not tried this yet, it's just my theory.

Lewis.

*****

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 16:09:47 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

E Z Peaces wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
lid wrote:
I bought a CD burner and I am planning to burn a CD in a few weeks,
after I read all the manuals, figure out all the wiring, and other
preparatory stuff. I'm worried about fire risks. Should I move the
computer outdoors in case it does burst into flames? How quickly do
these fires spread? Is there any smoke or sparks prior to ignition,
allowing enough time to get an extinguisher?

I have a CD on my desk here that I popped in the Microwave.
It would make a good background for a clock. I wouldn't
worry too much about a modern CD burner since new rules
require the units to now regulate the laser power instead
of the full ten megawatts on and off like the older burners.

TDD
What he should worry about is an email marked "Olympic Torch." If you
open it, it will unfold a torch that will set fire to your hard drive. I
got an email warning me.

That must be something like the enema E-mail that
evacuates your hard drive and flushes all your data.

TDD

I heard that if you go to
www.flushtoilet.com all your data goes down
the ****ter !!!!

I'm still trying to determine where to buy computer toilet paper in
case this happens. Walmart dont carry it in their electronics
department, I called and asked. But go ahead and call your own local
Walmart and ask them if they sell "Computer Toilet Paper".
Especially do this on April 1 !!!!!

LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I bought a CD burner and I am planning to burn a CD in a few weeks,
after I read all the manuals, figure out all the wiring, and other
preparatory stuff. I'm worried about fire risks. Should I move the
computer outdoors in case it does burst into flames? How quickly do
these fires spread? Is there any smoke or sparks prior to ignition,
allowing enough time to get an extinguisher?

After making your CD, put it in the microwave for four seconds to make the
recording permanent. It will be there for life, never degrading.

Steve

New Wood Burning Stove = Fire Alarm Adam[_3_] UK diy 6 February 3rd 08 09:44 PM
Fire Risks of Cd Burning [email protected] Home Repair 8 June 3rd 07 10:02 PM
Can a wood burning fire be consider as a green alternative ? carloponti UK diy 43 May 18th 07 12:40 PM
Risks Cliff Metalworking 5 February 13th 06 01:24 AM
Gas fire and wood burning [email protected] Home Repair 4 January 20th 06 10:53 PM