Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New Wood Burning Stove = Fire Alarm

Hi All,

I've just completed installing a new small (3kW) wood burning stove in
an old chimney, including a chimney liner. Everything seemed OK, and
the fire was lit for a couple of hours yesterday (and made nasty paint
smells, but apparently that's normal.)

However, today I've had it going on full blast for an hour and a half
or so and the fire alarms in my house started going off. I can't
see any smoke leaking out anywhere and all the joints and seals seem
fine so I don't understand what's going on. The alarms carried on
going off until I'd opened all the doors and windows and closed down
the fire. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks a lot,
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adam" wrote in message
Hi All,

I've just completed installing a new small (3kW) wood burning stove in
an old chimney, including a chimney liner. Everything seemed OK, and
the fire was lit for a couple of hours yesterday (and made nasty paint
smells, but apparently that's normal.)

However, today I've had it going on full blast for an hour and a half
or so and the fire alarms in my house started going off. I can't
see any smoke leaking out anywhere and all the joints and seals seem
fine so I don't understand what's going on. The alarms carried on
going off until I'd opened all the doors and windows and closed down
the fire. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks a lot,
Adam

I think there are two types of alarms; those that react to smoke and those
that react to smokeless combustion. What have you got.
Davy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam wrote:

However, today I've had it going on full blast for an hour and a half
or so and the fire alarms in my house started going off.
I can't see any smoke leaking out anywhere and all the joints and
seals seem fine so I don't understand what's going on. The alarms
carried on going off until I'd opened all the doors and windows and
closed down the fire. Anyone have any ideas?

Are you sure they aren't "heat alarms" rather than smoke alarms ?

I remember my digs when I was at college were forever having fire
alarms. "They" had fitted smoke detectors in the living room/kitchen so
that everytime someone burned toast it was the full, everyone evacuated,
six fire engines (this the females [and some males]seemed to love as all
these hunky fiemen would be about the place) performance. This was all
solved when they removed the smoke detectors from the living
room/kitchen and installed "heat detectors.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Davy wrote:

"Adam" wrote in message
Hi All,

I've just completed installing a new small (3kW) wood burning stove in
an old chimney, including a chimney liner. Everything seemed OK, and
the fire was lit for a couple of hours yesterday (and made nasty paint
smells, but apparently that's normal.)

However, today I've had it going on full blast for an hour and a half
or so and the fire alarms in my house started going off. I can't
see any smoke leaking out anywhere and all the joints and seals seem
fine so I don't understand what's going on. The alarms carried on
going off until I'd opened all the doors and windows and closed down
the fire. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks a lot,
Adam

I think there are two types of alarms; those that react to smoke and those
that react to smokeless combustion. What have you got.

Not sure. The alarms were fitted already when we moved in. How can you
tell?

Thanks,
Adam

--
Adam Richardson
Carpe Diem
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Feb, 14:52, Adam wrote:
Hi All,

I've just completed installing a new small (3kW) wood burning stove in
an old chimney, including a chimney liner. Everything seemed OK, and
the fire was lit for a couple of hours yesterday (and made nasty paint
smells, but apparently that's normal.)

However, today I've had it going on full blast for an hour and a half
or so and the fire alarms in my house started going off. I can't
see any smoke leaking out anywhere and all the joints and seals seem
fine so I don't understand what's going on. The alarms carried on
going off until I'd opened all the doors and windows and closed down
the fire. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks a lot,
Adam

You did install adequate air supply vents didn't you?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gel Gel is offline

On 2 Feb, 14:52, Adam wrote:
Hi All,

I've just completed installing a new small (3kW) wood burning stove in
an old chimney, including a chimney liner. Everything seemed OK, and
the fire was lit for a couple of hours yesterday (and made nasty paint
smells, but apparently that's normal.)

However, today I've had it going on full blast for an hour and a half
or so and the fire alarms in my house started going off. I can't
see any smoke leaking out anywhere and all the joints and seals seem
fine so I don't understand what's going on. The alarms carried on
going off until I'd opened all the doors and windows and closed down
the fire. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks a lot,
Adam

You may need to consider CO alarms too.

Smoke alarm guidance he

www.smoke-alarms.co.uk

To ascertain type you have, is there some indication printed on
outside of alarm?

If not take alarm off ceiling, look at label; if Ionisation type
there'll be a radioactive warning symbol

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

In message , cynic wrote:

On 2 Feb, 14:52, Adam wrote:
Hi All,

I've just completed installing a new small (3kW) wood burning stove in
an old chimney, including a chimney liner. Everything seemed OK, and
the fire was lit for a couple of hours yesterday (and made nasty paint
smells, but apparently that's normal.)

However, today I've had it going on full blast for an hour and a half
or so and the fire alarms in my house started going off. I can't
see any smoke leaking out anywhere and all the joints and seals seem
fine so I don't understand what's going on. The alarms carried on
going off until I'd opened all the doors and windows and closed down
the fire. Anyone have any ideas?

You did install adequate air supply vents didn't you?

Hmm, well, no. The fire is only small so doesn't require a dedicated
permanent air supply and the house is old (draughty front door into the
room with the fire) but I guess it could be the reason.

Re. the fire alarms - they've got the radiation warning.

Anyway, I've had the fire on twice since I wrote the post above and
haven't had any problems. I'm beginning to think maybe the problem was
an unlucky combination of the open vents on the fire (I had the
"spinwheel" on the front open for a while at the time). In any case I'll
get one of those smoke pellets and test it out with that just to be
sure.

Cheers,
Adam
--
Adam Richardson
Carpe Diem

Do I need to put out wood burning stove? spj_uk Home Ownership 2 October 30th 06 03:46 PM
wood burning stove John Kelly UK diy 7 October 13th 06 03:01 PM
wood burning stove [email protected] UK diy 2 April 24th 05 05:28 AM
Wood burning stove PacKat Home Repair 3 December 21st 04 02:16 PM
Wood burning stove Martin Carroll UK diy 4 October 12th 03 08:44 PM