DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   New Wood Burning Stove = Fire Alarm (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/232327-new-wood-burning-stove-%3D-fire-alarm.html)

Adam[_3_] February 2nd 08 02:52 PM

New Wood Burning Stove = Fire Alarm

Hi All,

I've just completed installing a new small (3kW) wood burning stove in
an old chimney, including a chimney liner. Everything seemed OK, and
the fire was lit for a couple of hours yesterday (and made nasty paint
smells, but apparently that's normal.)

However, today I've had it going on full blast for an hour and a half
or so and the fire alarms in my house started going off. :( I can't
see any smoke leaking out anywhere and all the joints and seals seem
fine so I don't understand what's going on. The alarms carried on
going off until I'd opened all the doors and windows and closed down
the fire. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks a lot,
Adam

Davy February 2nd 08 02:58 PM

"Adam" wrote in message
Hi All,

I've just completed installing a new small (3kW) wood burning stove in
an old chimney, including a chimney liner. Everything seemed OK, and
the fire was lit for a couple of hours yesterday (and made nasty paint
smells, but apparently that's normal.)

However, today I've had it going on full blast for an hour and a half
or so and the fire alarms in my house started going off. :( I can't
see any smoke leaking out anywhere and all the joints and seals seem
fine so I don't understand what's going on. The alarms carried on
going off until I'd opened all the doors and windows and closed down
the fire. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks a lot,
Adam

I think there are two types of alarms; those that react to smoke and those
that react to smokeless combustion. What have you got.
Davy

soup February 2nd 08 03:58 PM

Adam wrote:

However, today I've had it going on full blast for an hour and a half
or so and the fire alarms in my house started going off.
:( I can't see any smoke leaking out anywhere and all the joints and
seals seem fine so I don't understand what's going on. The alarms
carried on going off until I'd opened all the doors and windows and
closed down the fire. Anyone have any ideas?

Are you sure they aren't "heat alarms" rather than smoke alarms ?

I remember my digs when I was at college were forever having fire
alarms. "They" had fitted smoke detectors in the living room/kitchen so
that everytime someone burned toast it was the full, everyone evacuated,
six fire engines (this the females [and some males]seemed to love as all
these hunky fiemen would be about the place) performance. This was all
solved when they removed the smoke detectors from the living
room/kitchen and installed "heat detectors.

Adam[_3_] February 2nd 08 06:48 PM

In message , Davy wrote:

"Adam" wrote in message
Hi All,

I've just completed installing a new small (3kW) wood burning stove in
an old chimney, including a chimney liner. Everything seemed OK, and
the fire was lit for a couple of hours yesterday (and made nasty paint
smells, but apparently that's normal.)

However, today I've had it going on full blast for an hour and a half
or so and the fire alarms in my house started going off. :( I can't
see any smoke leaking out anywhere and all the joints and seals seem
fine so I don't understand what's going on. The alarms carried on
going off until I'd opened all the doors and windows and closed down
the fire. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks a lot,
Adam

I think there are two types of alarms; those that react to smoke and those
that react to smokeless combustion. What have you got.

Not sure. The alarms were fitted already when we moved in. How can you
tell?

Thanks,
Adam

--
Adam Richardson
Carpe Diem

cynic February 2nd 08 07:20 PM

On 2 Feb, 14:52, Adam wrote:
Hi All,

I've just completed installing a new small (3kW) wood burning stove in
an old chimney, including a chimney liner. Everything seemed OK, and
the fire was lit for a couple of hours yesterday (and made nasty paint
smells, but apparently that's normal.)

However, today I've had it going on full blast for an hour and a half
or so and the fire alarms in my house started going off. :( I can't
see any smoke leaking out anywhere and all the joints and seals seem
fine so I don't understand what's going on. The alarms carried on
going off until I'd opened all the doors and windows and closed down
the fire. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks a lot,
Adam

You did install adequate air supply vents didn't you?

Gel February 2nd 08 10:33 PM

On 2 Feb, 14:52, Adam wrote:
Hi All,

I've just completed installing a new small (3kW) wood burning stove in
an old chimney, including a chimney liner. Everything seemed OK, and
the fire was lit for a couple of hours yesterday (and made nasty paint
smells, but apparently that's normal.)

However, today I've had it going on full blast for an hour and a half
or so and the fire alarms in my house started going off. :( I can't
see any smoke leaking out anywhere and all the joints and seals seem
fine so I don't understand what's going on. The alarms carried on
going off until I'd opened all the doors and windows and closed down
the fire. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks a lot,
Adam

You may need to consider CO alarms too.

Smoke alarm guidance he

www.smoke-alarms.co.uk

To ascertain type you have, is there some indication printed on
outside of alarm?

If not take alarm off ceiling, look at label; if Ionisation type
there'll be a radioactive warning symbol

Adam[_3_] February 3rd 08 09:44 PM

New Wood Burning Stove = Fire Alarm

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

In message , cynic wrote:

On 2 Feb, 14:52, Adam wrote:
Hi All,

I've just completed installing a new small (3kW) wood burning stove in
an old chimney, including a chimney liner. Everything seemed OK, and
the fire was lit for a couple of hours yesterday (and made nasty paint
smells, but apparently that's normal.)

However, today I've had it going on full blast for an hour and a half
or so and the fire alarms in my house started going off. :( I can't
see any smoke leaking out anywhere and all the joints and seals seem
fine so I don't understand what's going on. The alarms carried on
going off until I'd opened all the doors and windows and closed down
the fire. Anyone have any ideas?

You did install adequate air supply vents didn't you?

Hmm, well, no. The fire is only small so doesn't require a dedicated
permanent air supply and the house is old (draughty front door into the
room with the fire) but I guess it could be the reason.

Re. the fire alarms - they've got the radiation warning.

Anyway, I've had the fire on twice since I wrote the post above and
haven't had any problems. I'm beginning to think maybe the problem was
an unlucky combination of the open vents on the fire (I had the
"spinwheel" on the front open for a while at the time). In any case I'll
get one of those smoke pellets and test it out with that just to be
sure.

Cheers,
Adam
--