PacKat

Default Wood burning stove

I an thinking of replacing my old wood stove (a small free
standing Sierra) with a larger, more modern one, and move
the Sierra to the basement. After search the local
merchants, there is one near by that carries:
- Mission
- Olympic
- Rainier.

With specification (respectively)

Emission 2.9, 2.6, 2.0 grams/hr
Efficiency 70.3%, 70%, 71.1%
Heating capacity 700-1500, 1500-2500, 800-1800 sqft
Heat output 71000, 74300, 71800 BTU/hr
fuel capacity 1.9, 3.1, 1.8 cubic ft
Max burn time 9, 12, 9 hr

I am not sure what the emission numbers mean, CO2 emission?
Olympic seems to be the largest model (capacity and heat
output).
My living area, including the bedroom is only 1200 sqft, so
Olympic is overkill.

I am leaning towards Rainier, since it seems to be cleanest
(if I understand emission correctly), smaller but more
efficient than Mission. Since I am guessing all this, I
would like to ask the pro's before get on the phone with the
dealer.

Anyone has experience on one of these models? If you were
me, what model would you choose?
I don't know what their price are, but I am willing to pay
more for better quality.

Thanks,
pac

HerHusband

Pac,

I am thinking of replacing my old wood stove (a small free
standing Sierra) with a larger, more modern one

If it were me, I would compare stoves in the following order:

1. Clearances to combustibles. The stove quality won't make any difference
if the stove won't fit in your available space.

2. Smallest size to heat the available space. A larger stove may take
longer to heat up before it starts heating the space, and will take up more
space in the room. It will also be easy to overheat the available space
with a larger stove, though the tradeoff is longer burn times. It doesn't
make much sense to produce more heat if you have to open a window to keep
the house from getting too hot...

3. Cost. No reason to pay more than you need to. Although, based on my
experience, the chimney pipes cost almost as much as the stove itself!

4. Appearance. We wanted basic black, as it fit our "rustic" home style,
and I've heard too many reports of the brass trims falling off. In any
case, you'll be looking at the stove every day, so it should fit in with
your homes decor.

5. Emissions. Lower is better, of course, but there doesn't seem to be a
huge difference between the models I have seen, and most have to meet
government standards anyway.

We have a small Lopi Patriot woodstove and it suits our needs perfectly. We
bought it mostly for the ambiance and for backup heat during power outages.
It is only rated to heat 1200 sq/ft max, but it'll heat our 1456 sq/ft home
without any problems. And that's with 14' ceilings. Even with our little
stove, it's real easy to overheat the living areas (that nice, warm, sleepy
heat. )

Anthony
Edwin Pawlowski

"HerHusband" wrote in message

2. Smallest size to heat the available space. A larger stove may take
longer to heat up before it starts heating the space, and will take up
more
space in the room. It will also be easy to overheat the available space
with a larger stove, though the tradeoff is longer burn times. It doesn't
make much sense to produce more heat if you have to open a window to keep
the house from getting too hot...

Other factors come in here also. It is better to burn a smaller stove hot
compared to a large stove very cool. You get much less creosote that way
making it safer and less cleaning.