Posted to alt.home.repair
E Z Peaces E Z Peaces is offline

Default What are the Fire Risks of Burning a CD?

The Daring Dufas wrote:
lid wrote:
I bought a CD burner and I am planning to burn a CD in a few weeks,
after I read all the manuals, figure out all the wiring, and other
preparatory stuff. I'm worried about fire risks. Should I move the
computer outdoors in case it does burst into flames? How quickly do
these fires spread? Is there any smoke or sparks prior to ignition,
allowing enough time to get an extinguisher?

I have a CD on my desk here that I popped in the Microwave.
It would make a good background for a clock. I wouldn't
worry too much about a modern CD burner since new rules
require the units to now regulate the laser power instead
of the full ten megawatts on and off like the older burners.

TDD

What he should worry about is an email marked "Olympic Torch." If you
open it, it will unfold a torch that will set fire to your hard drive.
I got an email warning me.