Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

Default Surviving the Depression TIPS WANTED

Now that we're in the second great depression, we all need to find
ways to cope and survive. I've noticed there are quite a few tips for
cooking with basic foods during a depression, online, but not much
more. For example, how does one survive without electricity, and I
dont mean using candles or a kerosene lamp for lighting. And what
about heat? In a rural area people burn wood, but in a city the wood
costs more than natural gas. Of course these things are for people
who still have homes. Many have already lost their homes and many
many more will soon lose them. The rescue shelters are already filled
and soon they may not be able to afford to keep their doors open. For
some, a tent might provide shelter, but it depends on location and
temperature. How do you heat a tent? Sure there are propane heaters,
but who can afford propane. The Indians would build a wood fire
inside a teepee, but dont try this in a modern nylon tents because it
will burn or melt, and there again comes the cost of firewood in a
city. On top of that, as long as law enforcement still exists, (and
they will likely shut down when they no longer get paid), it's illegal
to camp in most city parks. Cars are another place to live, even if
they dont run, but how does one heat them, and in hot weather they are
nearly unbearably hot?

This thread is intended to discuss this most needed topic. Soon many
if not most of us will be living in the streets, and NOW is the time
to make plans and learn how to survive. Don't think it can't happen
to you. Whether you're rich or poor, you soon could become moneyless
and homeless. This likely will occur in the next few months if not
sooner.

And last but not least, lets not forget entertainment. While survival
is at the top of the list, we must all keep our mood and spirits up,
or what's the point of surviving. What can we do to fill our time and
socialize? Remember, we wont have money to shop, or drink in bars, or
go to restaurants. Actually most stores, bars and restaurants will
perish anyhow. The cities and rural towns will be filled with empty
abandoned stores and other business places. There wont be any tv,
radio or computers either. Even if you have battery powered
equipment, batteries cost money, and tv, radio stations as well as the
internet will be shut down.

Please add tips and suggestions for coping and survival to this
thread.

Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

On Mar 28, 6:09�pm, Jimw wrote:
[...]

FEMA isbuilding camps nationwide for the displaced.

ideally you have a camp in the country with a wood burner, fresh water
source and some stockpiled food

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.survival/topics

Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

"Jimw" wrote in message
[...]

Grandparents lost two farms during the depression. My mother says they
sometimes resorted to eating bread with lard smeared on it. Of course, most
of us won't be butchering our own hogs or baking our own bread this time
around. Grandfather borrowed $300 from a neighbor to build a new barn.
Right after he finished, the neighbor died and his sons called the note.
Sent a load of hogs to Chicago to try to raise the money to satisfy the note
and the truck driver came back requesting more money as the sale of the hogs
didn't cover the cost of shipping them to Chicago. The neighbor's sons
ended up with the farms.

Tom G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jimw" wrote in message
Now that we're in the second great depression, we all need to find
ways to cope and survive.

cross posting removed.

The current economic downturn does not even yet begin to compare to the
great depression.

Learn to cook not open boxes or get it from the freezer.

Learn to do your own repairs. This group is a great place for help with
that.

Learn to spend less than you make, I bet there is a newsgroup for that.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jimw wrote:
[...]

Socialize? Shop? Bars? TV? Internet? Most living on the streets? Are
you joshing?
When the electricity is off and there is no heat, bundle up with coats,
wool blankets, whatever adds insulation. BTDT. Water shut off? Wait
until dark and snitch some from a spigot. Now, if the dreary scenario
you expect arrives, folks would have to be housed in Army tents or
whatever it takes.

My father dropped out of high school during the depression. His father
worked for the city but wasn't paid. Still went to work. Don't know
how long that lasted.

A sack of flour makes a lot of noodles, bread, bisquits, etc. Some lard
with flour makes gravy. Beats the heck out of starving, and it is
amazing how good anything will taste when it is all you have.

Social life - talk, play cards, plant a garden, help the less fortunate.
There will ALWAYS be those less fortunate than you. In a lot of ways,
I think it would be good for us - not wishing for it by any means. Less
money for booze, drugs and shopping - stay home with the kids and help
'em with homework......

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

"Jimw" wrote in message

Please add tips

cross-posting removed due to troll.

Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

Jimw wrote:

Now that we're in the second great depression,

Nothing like it in fact.

we all need to find ways to cope and survive.

Most dont.

I've noticed there are quite a few tips for cooking with basic
foods during a depression, online, but not much more. For
example, how does one survive without electricity,

I just went to bed when it was dark when I had no electricity.

and I dont mean using candles or a kerosene lamp for lighting.

You can use solar. But you wont be without electricity, so
there is no point in worrying about how to survive without it.

And what about heat?

Burn whatever is appropriate, natural gas, wood, the neighour's kids.

In a rural area people burn wood, but in a
city the wood costs more than natural gas.

Then burn natural gas.

Or just put up with the cold. Not a shred of rocket science whatever required.

Of course these things are for people who still have homes.

If you are stupid enough to lose yours, move to somewhere warmer where you dont need heat.

Many have already lost their homes

A tiny subset of those who havent.

and many many more will soon lose them.

A tiny subset of those who wont.

The rescue shelters are already filled and soon they
may not be able to afford to keep their doors open.

Then camp in your car, stupid.

For some, a tent might provide shelter, but it depends on location and temperature.

Nope, perfectly possible to 'live' in one anywhere in the US.

How do you heat a tent?

With a fire.

Sure there are propane heaters, but who can afford propane.

Burn wood, stupid.

The Indians would build a wood fire inside a teepee, but dont
try this in a modern nylon tents because it will burn or melt,

You have the fire outside the tent, stupid.

and there again comes the cost of firewood in a city.

So get out of the city, stupid.

On top of that, as long as law enforcement still exists, (and
they will likely shut down when they no longer get paid),

That didnt happen during the great depression.

it's illegal to camp in most city parks.

So get out of the city, stupid.

Cars are another place to live, even if they dont run, but how does one heat them,

Dont bother. Get used to the cold, stupid.

and in hot weather they are nearly unbearably hot?

Not if you park it under a tree, stupid.

This thread is intended to discuss this most needed topic.
Soon many if not most of us will be living in the streets,

Pure fantasy. That didnt happen during the great depression either.

and NOW is the time to make plans and learn how to survive.

Nope.

Don't think it can't happen to you.

I know it cant. And I know it didnt happen to many during the great depression either.

Whether you're rich or poor, you soon could become moneyless and homeless.

Nope, not a chance. My house is fully paid off and my money is in cash.

This likely will occur in the next few months if not sooner.

Pure pig ignorant fantasy.

And last but not least, lets not forget entertainment.

You can try dancing nude in front of the fire.

While survival is at the top of the list, we must all keep our mood and spirits up,
or what's the point of surviving. What can we do to fill our time and socialize?

Sit around the fire and rave on to anyone else around that fire is the traditional approach.

Remember, we wont have money to shop, or drink in bars, or go to restaurants.

Wrong, as always.

Actually most stores, bars and restaurants will perish anyhow.

That didnt happen during the great depression either.

The cities and rural towns will be filled with empty
abandoned stores and other business places.

That didnt happen during the great depression either.

And if it does, the traditional approach is for bums like you to squat in them.

There wont be any tv, radio or computers either.

Only in your pathetic little drug crazed fantasyland.

Even if you have battery powered equipment, batteries cost money,
and tv, radio stations as well as the internet will be shut down.

Only in your pathetic little drug crazed fantasyland.

Please add tips and suggestions for coping and survival to this thread.

By far the best approach for fools like you is to buy some rope
while you still have some money and hang yourself with it.

Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

"Rod Speed" wrote...

Many have already lost their homes

A tiny subset of those who havent.

Nope. "those who havent" [sic] do NOT include ANY who "have already lost their
homes" in ANY subset!

and many many more will soon lose them.

A tiny subset of those who wont.

Nope. "those who wont" [sic] do NOT include ANY who "will lose them soon" in
ANY subset!

Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

"Jimw" wrote in message

Please add tips and suggestions for coping and survival to this
thread.

I no longer use prostitutes but masturbate instead. Save about $100 a week.
I'm hoping not to go blind and figure I'll stop when I need glasses.

Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

Jimw wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Boy Scout motto, "Be prepared" Not prepared? You sound like a pessimist.
You are full of negative energy.

Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 28, 5:09*pm, Jimw wrote:

snip

The Big Crash happened in 1929. Things didn't get grim for a couple of
years later. You'll know when that time comes because when you look in
your wallet there is no money. All your friends also have no money.
None of their friends do, either. Every paid for house will have
multiple entire families living there. Every thing you need must be
bought with cash, and you don't have any. The local governments will
have boxes of basic rations for the most desperate. The food will be
flour, cooking oil, molasses or sorghum, corn meal, some dried fruit,
none needing refrigeration. That's the good part.
It can get worse. I know, I lived through it.

Joe
Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

Some terminal ****wit claiming to be
JR Weiss wrote just the usual mindless
nit pick thats all it can ever manage

Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
Jimw wrote

The Big Crash happened in 1929. Things didn't get grim for
a couple of years later. You'll know when that time comes
because when you look in your wallet there is no money. All
your friends also have no money. None of their friends do, either.

Nothing like that happened during the great depression.

Even with 25% unemployed, thats still 75% employed, stupid.

Every paid for house will have multiple entire families living there.

Nothing like that happened during the great depression.

Every thing you need must be bought with cash, and you don't have any.

Nothing like that happened during the great depression.

The local governments will have boxes of basic rations for the most
desperate. The food will be flour, cooking oil, molasses or sorghum,
corn meal, some dried fruit, none needing refrigeration. That's the
good part. It can get worse. I know, I lived through it.

Like hell you did.

Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 28, 11:24*pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:

snip

plonk

Joe

Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
On Mar 28, 11:24 pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:

snip

plonk

Joe

Fat lot of good that will do you, ****wit.

Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

In article ,
Joe wrote:
On Mar 28, 11:24*pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:

snip

plonk

Joe

What took you so long? I killfiled him long ago.

--
Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543 1353
Canines:Val, Red, Shasta & Casey (RIP), Red & Zero, Siberians Owner:Chinook-L
Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

On Mar 28, 10:47*pm, Joe wrote:
On Mar 28, 5:09*pm, Jimw wrote:

snip

The Big Crash happened in 1929. Things didn't get grim for a couple of
years later. You'll know when that time comes because when you look in
your wallet there is no money. All your friends also have no money.
None of their friends do, either. Every paid for house will have
multiple entire families living there. Every thing you need must be
bought with cash, and you don't have any. The local governments will
have boxes of basic rations for the most desperate. The food will be
flour, cooking oil, molasses or sorghum, corn meal, some dried fruit,
none needing refrigeration. That's the good part.
It can get worse. I know, I lived through it.

Joe

So how does one pay the taxes on that house with no money?

TMT
Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 20:47:53 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Jimw wrote:
[...]

No, I'm a realist. Anyone with common sense can see that the
government is failing and can not stop this with borrowed money that
has no backing. In all honesty, I think that anyone who survives this
will have little left to live for. I almost wonder if "being
prepared" means commiting suicide now. Maybe this is a better
solution than the inevitable starvation and pain we will all soon
experience. At least now, a deceased person can still be guaranteed a
burial paid for by the government. Soon bodies will litter the
streets until they rot, sort of like during huirricane katrina. It's
a sad but true fact, but we will soon suffer greatly.

Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

"Jimw" wrote in message
No, I'm a realist. Anyone with common sense can see that the
government is failing and can not stop this with borrowed money that
has no backing. In all honesty, I think that anyone who survives this
will have little left to live for. I almost wonder if "being
prepared" means commiting suicide now. Maybe this is a better
solution than the inevitable starvation and pain we will all soon
experience. At least now, a deceased person can still be guaranteed a
burial paid for by the government. Soon bodies will litter the
streets until they rot, sort of like during huirricane katrina. It's
a sad but true fact, but we will soon suffer greatly.

Sounds as if you need some professional help. Ask the doctor about
depression; the medical type, not fiscal.

Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

clipped

No, I'm a realist. Anyone with common sense can see that the
government is failing and can not stop this with borrowed money that
has no backing. In all honesty, I think that anyone who survives this
will have little left to live for. I almost wonder if "being
prepared" means commiting suicide now. Maybe this is a better
solution than the inevitable starvation and pain we will all soon
experience. At least now, a deceased person can still be guaranteed a
burial paid for by the government. Soon bodies will litter the
streets until they rot, sort of like during huirricane katrina. It's
a sad but true fact, but we will soon suffer greatly.

If your posts are sincere, they sound as if you are in need of help.
Being out of work, out of money, homeless are not reasons to commit
suicide. If that is truly your thinking, please get to the doctor and
get help. For all the difficulty of the "great depression", folks
survived by helping each other.

Real estate sales seem to be loosening up. We have three units in our
condo which have been for sale for a long, long time. In the past few
weeks, there have been many more showings, so it looks like folks are
shopping.

Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

wrote:

Jimw wrote:
[...]

The same stupid claim was made during the great depression.

I almost wonder if "being prepared" means commiting suicide now.

You're always welcome to do that.

Maybe this is a better solution than the inevitable
starvation and pain we will all soon experience.

The same stupid claim was made during the great depression.

At least now, a deceased person can still be guaranteed a
burial paid for by the government. Soon bodies will litter the
streets until they rot, sort of like during huirricane katrina.

Just another of your pathetic little drug crazed fantasys.

It's a sad but true fact,

Just you claiming its a fact doesnt make it a fact.

but we will soon suffer greatly.

The same stupid claim was made during the great depression.

Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

wrote:

Jimw wrote:
[...]

It sounds like you're worried about what happens to your body after
you die. I'm pretty sure when that comes, you won't care.

Soon bodies will litter the
streets until they rot, sort of like during huirricane katrina. *It's
a sad but true fact, but we will soon suffer greatly

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jimw wrote:

Now that we're in the second great depression, ....

If you still have a job, it's a recession.

Need a place to sleep?
- Become a squatter. Look for abandoned homes.

Need money?
- Run for election in 2010 and start soliciting campaign
contributions now.

- Stand at intersections with a cup and a sign that reads;
"Need Money for Beer".

Need food?
- Shack up with a woman who has a job?

Need fire wood?
- Go to your county landfill. Mine has a section for
discarded lumber and uprooted trees.

Need enertainment?
- Go to the public library. It's heated in the winter and
cooled in the summer. Plus you could learn some job skills.

Really desparate?
- Get thrown in jail. You get fed and housed.

If all else fails,
- Find a job - Economists target October as the end of the
recession.

Dick
Posted to alt.home.repair

i wouldn't exactly call this the great depression, last time I checked
there aren't any bread lines going. Hell we are not even at the
bottom of the real estate market yet. There is a huge wave still to
come with all those Alt A paper Option Arm loans. Those are going to
be resetting between 2009-2011. If you think our current state of
affairs are bad, wait another year.
Posted from the Free Home Improvement Forum at http://www.spicyhome.com