wolfb

Default Envirotex installation, tips wanted

I'm planning to mix up about 1.5 gallons of Envirotex and flood my bar top
with it. This is polymer will not be allowed to run over the sides in that
I aiming at a 3/16 inch coat over the marble top. I have an edge all around
so my plan is to flood up a sheet of the polymer to make the finished bar
top surface. I have heard that you need a torch to remove the bubbles that
might accumulate in the mixture. Do any of you have any tips that might
apply. Has anyone ever attempted such a project?
Thanks.
Wolf-==-

Roger Shoaf

Why would you be coating marble with Envirotex?

The info on bubble removal is he
http://www.eti-usa.com/consum/envtex/envinstr.htm

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

"wolfb" wrote in message
I'm planning to mix up about 1.5 gallons of Envirotex and flood my bar top
with it. This is polymer will not be allowed to run over the sides in

that
I aiming at a 3/16 inch coat over the marble top. I have an edge all

around
so my plan is to flood up a sheet of the polymer to make the finished bar
top surface. I have heard that you need a torch to remove the bubbles

that
might accumulate in the mixture. Do any of you have any tips that might
apply. Has anyone ever attempted such a project?
Thanks.
Wolf-==-

I have used epoxy but not the product you are using. Bubbles appear
when the area you work in gets warmer as the day goes on. Several ways
to elimate the problem. Easiest way is to heat the top with a heat gun,
apply epoxy. If any bubbles do appear ,apply heat gunto bubbles and
they will pop.You have to stay with it as more bubbles may appear.Most
of the time bubbles will appear if you start out in the morning and the
temperature rises as the day goes on.A hair dryer will work instead of
heat gun.
mike

Robatoy

In article ,
"wolfb" wrote:

I'm planning to mix up about 1.5 gallons of Envirotex and flood my bar top
with it. This is polymer will not be allowed to run over the sides in that
I aiming at a 3/16 inch coat over the marble top. I have an edge all around
so my plan is to flood up a sheet of the polymer to make the finished bar
top surface. I have heard that you need a torch to remove the bubbles that
might accumulate in the mixture. Do any of you have any tips that might
apply. Has anyone ever attempted such a project?
Thanks.
Wolf-==-

Most of your bubbles will come from the inherent chemical reaction AND
from the marble itself. I would suggest at least one thin coat to seal
the marble first. You can scuff and repair any nasties at that stage.
Then lay on as much epoxy as you want (lol..less than 1/4 due to heat)
Use a heat gun to coax out any bubbles.

Sealing marble (if that is your main objective so it won't stain) can be
done without all that drastic coating. There are some serious sealants
on the market which apply like water and protect for up to 15 years.
All your granite countertop suppliers will sell that stuff. (Some of the
better quality, teflon based, grout sealers will work just fine.)

I just worry that the epoxy will discolour over time, thassal.

0¿0

Rob

-----------

"Et tu, Spongebob?"
Robatoy

In article ,
"wolfb" wrote:

Has anyone ever attempted such a project?

I forgot to add this: (painfully obvious, DAMHIKT)
make sure that top is flat (like a within 1/32" or better) and level.
LEVEL. That should have been obvious to me too.
Otherwise it will all float to one of the bar and drip over the side and
fall on the floor and make a mess, right THROUGH a dropsheet.

Or so I'm told.

Oh come on guys..that was a LONG time ago! And I didn't get any of it on
my Led Zep poster OR my black light, okay? And how did *I* know that the
remaining mixture would start to smoke and stink and warp the gallon
metal paint can? Huh? Huh? THEN I find out that WEST (Gougeon Bros,
Bayfield MI) isn't really made for bartops, but to glue together
ICEBOATS! I should have known, I got it from an uncle who was a master
shipwright woodworking genius. (BTW, and there may be a lesson in this
for some of us, all he had was a MOTHER of a bandsaw and a MOTHER of a
jointer, the rest were handtools. He married one of my dad's sisters, so
none of his DNA is in Robatoy. My uncle KNEW the ratios.

I have said too much already.

0¿0

Rob---who likes to laugh at his own fukkups.

--------------

"Et tu, Spongebob?"

Xane T.

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 23:11:27 -0600, "wolfb"
wrote:

I'm planning to mix up about 1.5 gallons of Envirotex and flood my bar top
with it. This is polymer will not be allowed to run over the sides in that
I aiming at a 3/16 inch coat over the marble top. I have an edge all around
so my plan is to flood up a sheet of the polymer to make the finished bar
top surface. I have heard that you need a torch to remove the bubbles that
might accumulate in the mixture. Do any of you have any tips that might
apply. Has anyone ever attempted such a project?
Thanks.
Wolf-==-

Here's a post I made recently on how to do Envirotex properly (and
without the blowtorch). Addendum, the reason alcohol is not mentioned
in the instructions is probably because if you thin it with more than
10% alcohol, it weakens the epoxy (becomes like crumbly rubber). This
is next to impossible to do if you're just spraying the surface.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...2?dmode=source
wolfb

Thanks for the link, and thanks for all who replied. I have worked with
Envirotex in the past, but it was a very small project. To answer your
question..I'm concerned about the staining a marble surface is prone to. I
pieced together this bar top from parts that came from a demoplition project
of old bathroom stalls. This marble is laid like tile, althought there are
two pieces that are about 1'x6' and the rest filled in with others I cut
down to make my 3'x7.5' top. Being from a demo project of bathroom stalls
that were built in the 20's these pieces are of varing thickness. Although
I tried as best I could to make them all the same height by shimming or what
ever, there are areas that vary in height by almost 1/16". Some of this
happened after I put on and secured the elbow rest. Here is your proverbial
"All your mistakes magnify themselves in the finish". The top, as it
turned out, is pretty much level...lickily. After reading all the comments,
I may re-think the envirotex install. It will save me $150 and I my want to
look into some marble sealer. I guess I can live with the a bit of
uneveness. I have posted some links to this project previously and if
anyone is interested, email me and I will send them to you. Have a happy
project, and thanks!!!
Wolf-==-
"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message
Why would you be coating marble with Envirotex?

The info on bubble removal is he
http://www.eti-usa.com/consum/envtex/envinstr.htm

Roger Shoaf

"wolfb" wrote in message

I may re-think the envirotex install. It will save me $150 and I my want

look into some marble sealer. I guess I can live with the a bit of
uneveness. I have posted some links to this project previously and if
anyone is interested, email me and I will send them to you. Have a happy
project, and thanks!!!

Another thing you might do is talk to the guy that makes tomb stones. He
might be able to grind the high spots down and leave you with a nice
polished marble surface.