Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Surviving the Depression TIPS WANTED

Jimw wrote:

Now that we're in the second great depression,

Nothing like it in fact.

we all need to find ways to cope and survive.

Most dont.

I've noticed there are quite a few tips for cooking with basic
foods during a depression, online, but not much more. For
example, how does one survive without electricity,

I just went to bed when it was dark when I had no electricity.

and I dont mean using candles or a kerosene lamp for lighting.

You can use solar. But you wont be without electricity, so
there is no point in worrying about how to survive without it.

And what about heat?

Burn whatever is appropriate, natural gas, wood, the neighour's kids.

In a rural area people burn wood, but in a
city the wood costs more than natural gas.

Then burn natural gas.

Or just put up with the cold. Not a shred of rocket science whatever required.

Of course these things are for people who still have homes.

If you are stupid enough to lose yours, move to somewhere warmer where you dont need heat.

Many have already lost their homes

A tiny subset of those who havent.

and many many more will soon lose them.

A tiny subset of those who wont.

The rescue shelters are already filled and soon they
may not be able to afford to keep their doors open.

Then camp in your car, stupid.

For some, a tent might provide shelter, but it depends on location and temperature.

Nope, perfectly possible to 'live' in one anywhere in the US.

How do you heat a tent?

With a fire.

Sure there are propane heaters, but who can afford propane.

Burn wood, stupid.

The Indians would build a wood fire inside a teepee, but dont
try this in a modern nylon tents because it will burn or melt,

You have the fire outside the tent, stupid.

and there again comes the cost of firewood in a city.

So get out of the city, stupid.

On top of that, as long as law enforcement still exists, (and
they will likely shut down when they no longer get paid),

That didnt happen during the great depression.

it's illegal to camp in most city parks.

So get out of the city, stupid.

Cars are another place to live, even if they dont run, but how does one heat them,

Dont bother. Get used to the cold, stupid.

and in hot weather they are nearly unbearably hot?

Not if you park it under a tree, stupid.

This thread is intended to discuss this most needed topic.
Soon many if not most of us will be living in the streets,

Pure fantasy. That didnt happen during the great depression either.

and NOW is the time to make plans and learn how to survive.

Nope.

Don't think it can't happen to you.

I know it cant. And I know it didnt happen to many during the great depression either.

Whether you're rich or poor, you soon could become moneyless and homeless.

Nope, not a chance. My house is fully paid off and my money is in cash.

This likely will occur in the next few months if not sooner.

Pure pig ignorant fantasy.

And last but not least, lets not forget entertainment.

You can try dancing nude in front of the fire.

While survival is at the top of the list, we must all keep our mood and spirits up,
or what's the point of surviving. What can we do to fill our time and socialize?

Sit around the fire and rave on to anyone else around that fire is the traditional approach.

Remember, we wont have money to shop, or drink in bars, or go to restaurants.

Wrong, as always.

Actually most stores, bars and restaurants will perish anyhow.

That didnt happen during the great depression either.

The cities and rural towns will be filled with empty
abandoned stores and other business places.

That didnt happen during the great depression either.

And if it does, the traditional approach is for bums like you to squat in them.

There wont be any tv, radio or computers either.

Only in your pathetic little drug crazed fantasyland.

Even if you have battery powered equipment, batteries cost money,
and tv, radio stations as well as the internet will be shut down.

Only in your pathetic little drug crazed fantasyland.

Please add tips and suggestions for coping and survival to this thread.

By far the best approach for fools like you is to buy some rope
while you still have some money and hang yourself with it.