Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

Default Surviving the Depression TIPS WANTED

On Mar 31, 12:43*am, Jimw wrote:
On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 20:47:53 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Jimw wrote:
Now that we're in the second great depression, we all need to find
ways to cope and survive. *I've noticed there are quite a few tips for
cooking with basic foods during a depression, online, but not much
more. *For example, how does one survive without electricity, and I
dont mean using candles or a kerosene lamp for lighting. *And what
about heat? *In a rural area people burn wood, but in a city the wood
costs more than natural gas. *Of course these things are for people
who still have homes. *Many have already lost their homes and many
many more will soon lose them. *The rescue shelters are already filled
and soon they may not be able to afford to keep their doors open. *For
some, a tent might provide shelter, but it depends on location and
temperature. *How do you heat a tent? *Sure there are propane heaters,
but who can afford propane. *The Indians would build a wood fire
inside a teepee, but dont try this in a modern nylon tents because it
will burn or melt, and there again comes the cost of firewood in a
city. *On top of that, as long as law enforcement still exists, (and
they will likely shut down when they no longer get paid), it's illegal
to camp in most city parks. *Cars are another place to live, even if
they dont run, but how does one heat them, and in hot weather they are
nearly unbearably hot? *

This thread is intended to discuss this most needed topic. *Soon many
if not most of us will be living in the streets, and NOW is the time
to make plans and learn how to survive. *Don't think it can't happen
to you. *Whether you're rich or poor, you soon could become moneyless
and homeless. *This likely will occur in the next few months if not
sooner.

And last but not least, lets not forget entertainment. *While survival
is at the top of the list, we must all keep our mood and spirits up,
or what's the point of surviving. *What can we do to fill our time and
socialize? *Remember, we wont have money to shop, or drink in bars, or
go to restaurants. *Actually most stores, bars and restaurants will
perish anyhow. *The cities and rural towns will be filled with empty
abandoned stores and other business places. *There wont be any tv,
radio or computers either. *Even if you have battery powered
equipment, batteries cost money, and tv, radio stations as well as the
internet will be shut down.

Please add tips and suggestions for coping and survival to this
thread.

Hi,
Boy Scout motto, "Be prepared" Not prepared? You sound like a pessimist.
You are full of negative energy.

No, I'm a realist. *Anyone with common sense can see that the
government is failing and can not stop this with borrowed money that
has no backing. *In all honesty, I think that anyone who survives this
will have little left to live for. *I almost wonder if "being
prepared" means commiting suicide now. *Maybe this is a better
solution than the inevitable starvation and pain we will all soon
experience. *At least now, a deceased person can still be guaranteed a
burial paid for by the government. *

It sounds like you're worried about what happens to your body after
you die. I'm pretty sure when that comes, you won't care.

Soon bodies will litter the
streets until they rot, sort of like during huirricane katrina. *It's
a sad but true fact, but we will soon suffer greatly