Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing a Broken Doorknob

Replacing a doorknob that was missing half of the door knob (1 of the
two sides). the door is closed, and the strike blot is engaged. by
twisting the one knob, it cant move or catch the latch properly, and
by taking it off completely with the trim, leaves me with a bolt that
is stuck. since the door is closed and cannot open, i cannot remove
the two screws to undo the blot lock, i can only access it from inside
the hole...how do i get this bolt out from the inside, or enough to
get it to retract so i can open the door?
Posted to alt.home.repair

The knob handles you removed engaged the strike somehow. Some go
through the strike, some grab some ears on the end of the strike.
Once the knobs are gone it should be fairly easy to engage
whatever to pull the strike back. Push the door closed as much as
possible, really pressure it, to get the bind off the strike. I
cannot think of anything that will really stop a strike bolt from
moving, but they can be wedged in the strike hole.

I think I noticed that the door you're struggling with swings
toward you. If the above doesn't work, you should be able to get
a knife edge between the door and jamb to lever the strike back
into the door. Again, push on the door. This is hard on the
knife and you can break the knife blade - use caution. Try the
knife blade trick on some other door to practice so you know what
I'm talking about. A sawzal or hacksaw blade can be used the cut
the tip of strike off. You can gently pry the between the jamb
and door and spread the gap until you can force the door open.

If the door opens away from you, you can remove the door stop on
the strike side of the door and insert a screwdriver, crowbar, or
similar to lever the strike.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

wrote in message
Replacing a doorknob that was missing half of the door knob (1
of the
two sides). the door is closed, and the strike blot is engaged.
by
twisting the one knob, it cant move or catch the latch properly,
and
by taking it off completely with the trim, leaves me with a bolt
that
is stuck. since the door is closed and cannot open, i cannot
remove
the two screws to undo the blot lock, i can only access it from
inside
the hole...how do i get this bolt out from the inside, or enough
get it to retract so i can open the door?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think you either need another writer (you're not making
much sense, here). Or, post some pictures on a free hosting
web site, and we'll try and figure out what you muchly said
words with.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
Replacing a doorknob that was missing half of the door knob
(1 of the
two sides). the door is closed, and the strike blot is
engaged. by
twisting the one knob, it cant move or catch the latch
properly, and
by taking it off completely with the trim, leaves me with a
bolt that
is stuck. since the door is closed and cannot open, i cannot
remove
the two screws to undo the blot lock, i can only access it
from inside
the hole...how do i get this bolt out from the inside, or
enough to
get it to retract so i can open the door?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Replacing a doorknob that was missing half of the door knob (1 of the
two sides). the door is closed, and the strike blot is engaged. by
twisting the one knob, it cant move or catch the latch properly, and
by taking it off completely with the trim, leaves me with a bolt that
is stuck. since the door is closed and cannot open, i cannot remove
the two screws to undo the blot lock, i can only access it from inside
the hole...how do i get this bolt out from the inside, or enough to
get it to retract so i can open the door?

If you have access to the hinges, remove hinge pin and remove door. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 10:36*pm, "WW" wrote:
wrote in message

Replacing a doorknob that was missing half of the door knob (1 of the
two sides). the door is closed, and the strike blot is engaged. by
twisting the one knob, it cant move or catch the latch properly, and
by taking it off completely with the trim, leaves me with a bolt that
is stuck. since the door is closed and cannot open, i cannot remove
the two screws to undo the blot lock, i can only access it from inside
the hole...how do i get this bolt out from the inside, or enough to
get it to retract so i can open the door?

If you have access to the hinges, remove hinge pin and remove door. WW

no access to hinges and you cant jimmy the door with a putty knife
becuase of a lip on the front door jamb. i think my only hoe is to try
and reattach the half of a doorknob and twist it open, i dont know
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 27, 7:47*am, "
no access to hinges and you cant jimmy the door with a putty knife
becuase of a lip on the front door jamb. i think my only hoe is to try
and reattach the half of a doorknob and twist it open, i dont know

Look in the goddamn hole where the doorknob was like people have been
telling you to. You will see the latch mechanism. It is child's play
to figure out how it works, then use a suitable flat-bladed
screwdriver to either twist or pull whatever makes the latch release.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Look in the goddamn hole where the doorknob was like people have been
telling you to. You will see the latch mechanism. It is child's play
to figure out how it works, then use a suitable flat-bladed
screwdriver to either twist or pull whatever makes the latch release.

Yeah, I was about to resort to profanity myself. If this guy is still
stuck, he shouldn't be allowed to own a screwdriver.

Yup, but I'm sure some bleeding heart will come back and admonish me
for being "mean."
Posted to alt.home.repair

Very often, in cases like these. Something is broken, in the
latch. Which results in breaking the knob. So, all the screw
drivers and all the horses and all the kings men won't
result in pulling the latch.

Separate the door from jamb with big screwdrivers, pull the
door off from the hinge side, that kind of thing, might be
needed.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
Look in the goddamn hole where the doorknob was like
people have been
telling you to. You will see the latch mechanism. It is
child's play
to figure out how it works, then use a suitable
flat-bladed
screwdriver to either twist or pull whatever makes the
latch release.

Yeah, I was about to resort to profanity myself. If this
guy is still
stuck, he shouldn't be allowed to own a screwdriver.

Yup, but I'm sure some bleeding heart will come back and
admonish me
for being "mean."

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Mar 27, 7:47*am, "
wrote:
On Mar 25, 10:36*pm, "WW" wrote:

wrote in message

Replacing a doorknob that was missing half of the door knob (1 of the
two sides). the door is closed, and the strike blot is engaged. by
twisting the one knob, it cant move or catch the latch properly, and
by taking it off completely with the trim, leaves me with a bolt that
is stuck. since the door is closed and cannot open, i cannot remove
the two screws to undo the blot lock, i can only access it from inside
the hole...how do i get this bolt out from the inside, or enough to
get it to retract so i can open the door?

If you have access to the hinges, remove hinge pin and remove door. WW

no access to hinges and you cant jimmy the door with a putty knife
becuase of a lip on the front door jamb. i think my only hoe is to try
and reattach the half of a doorknob and twist it open, i dont know

first, is there a hole in the doorknob? try to get in there with an
icepick or small screwdriver or something. If that doesn't work...

try to jimmy it again with a large (maybe 3"x5") sheet of flexible
plastic. I used to use the plastic that protected those "pull in case
of fire" placards that used to be above fire alarm pull stations but
that's because that's what I had access to. If you can get something
vaguely stiff but thin and able to be bent around the edge of the
door, you may still be able to jimmy it.

Failing that, you may have to remove the lip piece of the jamb.
should just be nailed on and then you'll be able to jimmy the latch
easily.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Replacing a doorknob that was missing half of the door knob (1 of the two
sides). the door is closed, and the strike blot is engaged. by twisting
the one knob, it cant move or catch the latch properly, and by taking it
off completely with the trim, leaves me with a bolt that
is stuck. since the door is closed and cannot open, i cannot remove the
two screws to undo the blot lock, i can only access it from inside the
hole...how do i get this bolt out from the inside, or enough to get it
to retract so i can open the door?

There is a thread on 23 Mar 09, 1:52 AM, that sounds a lot like your
problem. Just thought that you could read through that for additonal hints
on fixes.
Good Luck!

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

wrote in message

Look in the goddamn hole where the doorknob was like
people have been
telling you to. You will see the latch mechanism. It is
child's play
to figure out how it works, then use a suitable
flat-bladed
screwdriver to either twist or pull whatever makes the
latch release.

Yeah, I was about to resort to profanity myself. If this
guy is still
stuck, he shouldn't be allowed to own a screwdriver.

Yup, but I'm sure some bleeding heart will come back and
admonish me
for being "mean."

"all the screw drivers and all the horses and all the kings men
won't result in pulling the latch."

I'll bet that even with a jammed or broken mechanism, there's quite a
few of us in this group that, with the proper application of a just
few tools, could get this door open.

I'm thinking that with the internal mechanism exposed, judicious use
of a reciprocating saw might just get the job done.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

[...]

Snort. I thought stuff like this is why Craftsman includes the oversize
extra-long flat-blade in all their screwdriver sets. (I've never seen
any slotted screw heads big enough to need one of those puppies.) Enough
sideways or rotational torque applied to just the right spot freed up
any jammed striker assembly I ever had to deal with. I suppose one
could get jammed so solid you would have to cut it off, but I would find
it very surprising. At least in residential use, almost all of them are
made of such flimsy metal, that prying the end of the tube part open
would make the internal parts come loose.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

[...]

Of course you realize that I was exaggerating to make a point.

I was simply shooting down the claim that a door latch could be so
stuck that "all the screw drivers and all the horses and all the kings
men won't result in pulling" it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 20:34:21 -0700 (PDT), against all advice,
something compelled DerbyDad03 , to say:

I'm thinking that with the internal mechanism exposed, judicious use
of a reciprocating saw might just get the job done.

At this point I'd just stand back and kick the damm thing in.

--

Real men don't text.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Daniels wrote:
On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 20:34:21 -0700 (PDT), against all advice,
something compelled DerbyDad03 , to say:

I'm thinking that with the internal mechanism exposed, judicious use
of a reciprocating saw might just get the job done.

At this point I'd just stand back and kick the damm thing in.

But then you have the door open and no need to use a power tool.
Especially one as cool as a sawzall.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 28, 5:48*am, Nate Nagel wrote:
Steve Daniels wrote:
On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 20:34:21 -0700 (PDT), against all advice,
something compelled DerbyDad03 , to say:

* * I'm thinking that with the internal mechanism exposed, judicious use
* * of a reciprocating saw might just get the job done.

At this point I'd just stand back and kick the damm thing in.

But then you have the door open and no need to use a power tool.
Especially one as cool as a sawzall.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

thanks for all your help dicks. clearly i had tried using a flathead,
but as it turns out, the mechanism was broken. by using two paitrs of
magnetic pliers i was able to jimmy it out enough. it was an old ass
lock and a two man job. thanks for all your support and outrage
Posted to alt.home.repair

Our pleasure. Return any time.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

thanks for all your help dicks. clearly i had tried using a
flathead,
but as it turns out, the mechanism was broken. by using two
paitrs of
magnetic pliers i was able to jimmy it out enough. it was an
old ass
lock and a two man job. thanks for all your support and
outrage

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Daniels wrote:
On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 20:34:21 -0700 (PDT), against all advice,
something compelled DerbyDad03 , to say:

* * I'm thinking that with the internal mechanism exposed, judicious use
* * of a reciprocating saw might just get the job done.

At this point I'd just stand back and kick the damm thing in.

But then you have the door open and no need to use a power tool.
Especially one as cool as a sawzall.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

thanks for all your help dicks. clearly i had tried using a flathead,
but as it turns out, the mechanism was broken. by using two paitrs of
magnetic pliers i was able to jimmy it out enough. it was an old ass
lock and a two man job. thanks for all your support and outrage

"thanks for all your help dicks"

I reviewed the thread and couldn't find one poster named "dick", never
mind multiple "dicks". To whom were you passing along your thanks?

"clearly i had tried using a flathead"

Clearly? I just checked your previous posts and saw no mention of you
trying a flathead. On the other hand, I did see the mention of a hoe:
"i think my only hoe is to try..."

Clearly, a hoe is the wrong tool for this job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Daniels wrote:
[...]

And I can't wait till he posts another "please help" question. I bet he
sees a lot of "dicks" answering.

How to get a doorknob apart David Nebenzahl Home Repair 34 July 6th 19 07:44 PM
Removing Broken Glass in Door Sam Home Repair 1 September 14th 08 09:35 PM
Removing broken energy saver bulb robgraham UK diy 35 June 22nd 07 06:50 AM
Broken doorknob Reb Home Repair 6 October 31st 05 08:14 AM
Removing broken screws and other things brush-head UK diy 6 March 13th 05 01:48 AM