Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default Removing a Broken Doorknob

The knob handles you removed engaged the strike somehow. Some go
through the strike, some grab some ears on the end of the strike.
Once the knobs are gone it should be fairly easy to engage
whatever to pull the strike back. Push the door closed as much as
possible, really pressure it, to get the bind off the strike. I
cannot think of anything that will really stop a strike bolt from
moving, but they can be wedged in the strike hole.

I think I noticed that the door you're struggling with swings
toward you. If the above doesn't work, you should be able to get
a knife edge between the door and jamb to lever the strike back
into the door. Again, push on the door. This is hard on the
knife and you can break the knife blade - use caution. Try the
knife blade trick on some other door to practice so you know what
I'm talking about. A sawzal or hacksaw blade can be used the cut
the tip of strike off. You can gently pry the between the jamb
and door and spread the gap until you can force the door open.

If the door opens away from you, you can remove the door stop on
the strike side of the door and insert a screwdriver, crowbar, or
similar to lever the strike.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

wrote in message
Replacing a doorknob that was missing half of the door knob (1
of the
two sides). the door is closed, and the strike blot is engaged.
by
twisting the one knob, it cant move or catch the latch properly,
and
by taking it off completely with the trim, leaves me with a bolt
that
is stuck. since the door is closed and cannot open, i cannot
remove
the two screws to undo the blot lock, i can only access it from
inside
the hole...how do i get this bolt out from the inside, or enough
get it to retract so i can open the door?