Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark[_26_] Mark[_26_] is offline

Default Removing a Broken Doorknob

sawall to cut the striker

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Mar 27, 11:48 pm, aemeijers wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Mar 27, 4:08 pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Very often, in cases like these. Something is broken, in the
latch. Which results in breaking the knob. So, all the screw
drivers and all the horses and all the kings men won't
result in pulling the latch.

Separate the door from jamb with big screwdrivers, pull the
door off from the hinge side, that kind of thing, might be
needed.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

Look in the goddamn hole where the doorknob was like
people have been
telling you to. You will see the latch mechanism. It is
child's play
to figure out how it works, then use a suitable
flat-bladed
screwdriver to either twist or pull whatever makes the
latch release.
Yeah, I was about to resort to profanity myself. If this
guy is still
stuck, he shouldn't be allowed to own a screwdriver.
Yup, but I'm sure some bleeding heart will come back and
admonish me
for being "mean."

"all the screw drivers and all the horses and all the kings men
won't result in pulling the latch."

I'll bet that even with a jammed or broken mechanism, there's quite a
few of us in this group that, with the proper application of a just
few tools, could get this door open.

I'm thinking that with the internal mechanism exposed, judicious use
of a reciprocating saw might just get the job done.

Snort. I thought stuff like this is why Craftsman includes the oversize
extra-long flat-blade in all their screwdriver sets. (I've never seen
any slotted screw heads big enough to need one of those puppies.) Enough
sideways or rotational torque applied to just the right spot freed up
any jammed striker assembly I ever had to deal with. I suppose one
could get jammed so solid you would have to cut it off, but I would find
it very surprising. At least in residential use, almost all of them are
made of such flimsy metal, that prying the end of the tube part open
would make the internal parts come loose.

--
aem sends...

Of course you realize that I was exaggerating to make a point.

I was simply shooting down the claim that a door latch could be so
stuck that "all the screw drivers and all the horses and all the kings
men won't result in pulling" it.