Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Increase BTU output of gas grill

I have a Char-Broil outdoor stovetop. It is basically a self-
contained side-burner that puts out a max of 21,000 BTU when set to
high. However, it is not powerful enough to boil 7-8 gallons of
water, at least not while the temperature outside is below 50. Does
anyone know if it might be possible to increase the BTU output
somehow? I was thinking if I can adjust the regulator somehow to
allow more propane through this might do it, but I don't know if the
burner is also a restricting factor. Or maybe I could purchase a
different regulator and splice it into the hoseline in place of the
existing one? Any ideas, or if this is impossible??? Thank you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 10:20*am, wrote:
I have a Char-Broil outdoor stovetop. *It is basically a self-
contained side-burner that puts out a max of 21,000 BTU when set to
high. *However, it is not powerful enough to boil 7-8 gallons of
water, at least not while the temperature outside is below 50. *Does
anyone know if it might be possible to increase the BTU output
somehow? *I was thinking if I can adjust the regulator somehow to
allow more propane through this might do it, but I don't know if the
burner is also a restricting factor. Or maybe I could purchase a
different regulator and splice it into the hoseline in place of the
existing one? *Any ideas, or if this is impossible??? *Thank you.

Might be easier and possibly cheaper to buy a turkey fryer. The
darned things are like jet engines. That's what I used during the
Great Power Outage of '03 (and we had a "boil water" advisory
for several days after the power came back on).

Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 5:51*pm, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 14:48:27 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
om...
wrote:
I have a Char-Broil outdoor stovetop. *It is basically a self-
contained side-burner that puts out a max of 21,000 BTU when set to
high. *However, it is not powerful enough to boil 7-8 gallons of
water, at least not while the temperature outside is below 50. *Does
anyone know if it might be possible to increase the BTU output
somehow? *I was thinking if I can adjust the regulator somehow to
allow more propane through this might do it, but I don't know if the
burner is also a restricting factor. Or maybe I could purchase a
different regulator and splice it into the hoseline in place of the
existing one? *Any ideas, or if this is impossible??? *Thank you.

Boil the water inside on the range?

It's not real "outdoor cooking," but who's to know?

Anything involving boiling water is not real outdoor cooking anyway. *To get
that much water boilng fast, the turkey fryer is ideal. *Adjusting
regulators is asking for potential problems. *It is not so simple as
orifices must be changed, air/fuel ratio adjusted, etc.

Bass Pro Shop has an outdoor *fryer, for $29.00; excluding the tank.
The sale shows up now and then.- Hide quoted text -

Seems like when it's below 50, you'd want to do it in the house so
that you get the benefit of the heat inside the house, instead of
****ing it away. Aside from being able to generate enough heat to
boil 8 gallons of water, I'm kind of surprised the side burner set-up
on a CharBroil can even safely support that load.
Posted to alt.home.repair

First of all stop watching it... never boils if you do...8^)

Seriously, put a lid on the pot. the side burner should do the trick
with a 21,000 btu output even with an outside temp of 50

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 6:50*pm, (BRUCE) wrote:
First of all stop watching it... never boils if you do...8^)

Seriously, put a lid on the pot. the side burner should do the trick
with a 21,000 btu output even with an outside temp of 50

Actually I can't put the lid on. This is for making beer and I need
quite a bit of water to evaporate in the process, as well as a by-
product that makes for a funky taste if not boiled off. Thanks anyway
though. looks like I'll be shopping for the turkey fryer and putting
this on Craigslist.

Mat
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Mar 25, 6:50 pm, (BRUCE) wrote:
First of all stop watching it... never boils if you do...8^)

Seriously, put a lid on the pot. the side burner should do the trick
with a 21,000 btu output even with an outside temp of 50

Actually I can't put the lid on. This is for making beer and I need
quite a bit of water to evaporate in the process, as well as a by-
product that makes for a funky taste if not boiled off. Thanks anyway
though. looks like I'll be shopping for the turkey fryer and putting
this on Craigslist.

Mat

Every home brewer I know uses the turkey fryer.