Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default How to Increase Your Wi-Fi Signal

How to Increase Your Wi-Fi Signal
http://mobilephone-guide.blogspot.co...fi-signal.html

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.internet.wireless

http://mobilephone-guide.blogspot.co...se-your-wi-fi-
signal.html

Seems plausible... Comments from the WiFi folks?
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.internet.wireless

DaveC wrote:

Seems plausible... Comments from the WiFi folks?

It works because the ethernet cable is acting like an antenna for the
wifi card. You could wrap it around a hot dog, or just make a loop and
it would probably work just as well.

It might even work better without the cell phone, a high power
radio transmitter near a receiving antenna causes the receiver to "block".
My cell phone (1 watt on 900mHz and 2 watts on 1800mHz) is strong enough.

The salad bowl is a neat trick, and it would help.

Even better would be to use a USB WiFi dongle and suspend it in the middle
of a foil lined salad bowl.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.internet.wireless

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Grumble. That was my idea, first. See:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/antennas/Salad-Dish/index.html
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.internet.wireless/browse_frm/thread/61088cfb1efa861/

I only mentioned it because he suggested to use it to make his ethernet
wire coiled around a cell phone antenna work better. It was IMHO a better
idea to use an actual transciever instead of a passive antenna that
works via leakage.

The salad bowl is optically reflective, so installing a point light
source at the focus will display the approximate radiation pattern on
the wall. At best, I get an annular ring with about a 15 degree
spread, which is far from perfect, but functional. Sorry, but I have
to give back by pile of borrowed test equipment before I could make a
gain measurement.

It's a moot point for me, I'm limited to 100mw EIRP for WiFI
and terrestrial ham links.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.internet.wireless

In alt.internet.wireless DaveC wrote:
http://mobilephone-guide.blogspot.com/2007/07/how-to-increase-your-wi-fi-signal.html

Oh, my. Eric has lots of interesting tidbits on his site and youtube
page. I looked at a few of them to see if anything was going to explode,
but they all seem perfectly harmless.
http://www.youtube.com/profile_video...esolutions&p=r

I prefer http://northernmichigansolar.com/ for electrical wisdom.

I'm not sure i understand the point of sites like these.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.internet.wireless

On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 10:31:23 -0700, DaveC
wrote:

http://mobilephone-guide.blogspot.co...se-your-wi-fi-
signal.html

Seems plausible... Comments from the WiFi folks?

He is going to need to put the cell phone over to the side of the
bowl so when he puts the bowl on his head the phone will be next
to his ear (the new alien signals he is picking up may be weaker
and harder to hear).