Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.internet.wireless
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default How to Increase Your Wi-Fi Signal

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Grumble. That was my idea, first. See:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/antennas/Salad-Dish/index.html
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.internet.wireless/browse_frm/thread/61088cfb1efa861/

I only mentioned it because he suggested to use it to make his ethernet
wire coiled around a cell phone antenna work better. It was IMHO a better
idea to use an actual transciever instead of a passive antenna that
works via leakage.

The salad bowl is optically reflective, so installing a point light
source at the focus will display the approximate radiation pattern on
the wall. At best, I get an annular ring with about a 15 degree
spread, which is far from perfect, but functional. Sorry, but I have
to give back by pile of borrowed test equipment before I could make a
gain measurement.

It's a moot point for me, I'm limited to 100mw EIRP for WiFI
and terrestrial ham links.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/