Posted to alt.home.repair
sid sid is offline

Default sump pump receptacle in ceiling

Can anybody tell me why the receptacle for my sump pump in mounted to
a floor joist ? The cord reaches and the only the friction of the
conductors holds it there, but is there a code reason for mounting it
there. Wouldn’t a more cosmetic place to mount it be 12-16" up from
the floor near the pump ?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

Can anybody tell me why the receptacle for my sump pump in mounted to
a floor joist ? The cord reaches and the only the friction of the
conductors holds it there, but is there a code reason for mounting it
there. Wouldn’t a more cosmetic place to mount it be 12-16" up from
the floor near the pump ?

Safer from a flood up there, and the cord doesn't have to travel across
the floor. I would at least nail a clamp over the cord, though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 16, 1:52*pm, sid wrote:
Can anybody tell me why the receptacle for my sump pump in mounted to
a floor joist ? *The cord reaches and the only the friction of the
conductors holds it there, but is there a code reason for mounting it
there. *Wouldn’t a more cosmetic place to mount it be 12-16" up from
the floor near the pump ?

Thanks

Ever try to attach an outlet box to a concrete wall and staple the
romex to the concrete that is feeding the outlet?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Limp Arbor wrote:
... Wouldn’t a more cosmetic place to mount it be 12-16" up from
the floor near the pump ?

Ever try to attach an outlet box to a concrete wall and staple the
romex to the concrete that is feeding the outlet?

That would require conduit per Code--exposed romex would not pass.

For OP, somebody else also noted the advantage of keeping the connection
high, but if it flooded that deep it would have gotten a lot of other
electrical connections long before then, anyway I'd reckon...

I'd say the ease factor was probably controlling as to the "why".

You could reorient it so the plug isn't hanging vertically or use a tie
wrap to make sure it doesn't come out as the simplest cure. Or, switch
the outlet and plug to a twistlock design for a little more upscale
solution.

A run of conduit to an outlet close by on the wall wouldn't be bad, but
unless they have cord hanging across some area that's a sifnificant
nuisance doesn't seem like any compelling reason to move it down the wall.

Posted to alt.home.repair
sid sid is offline

--

The electrical panel is just down the wall about 20', I thought that
if the receptacle was as least as high as the busses in the panel it

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

sid wrote:

The electrical panel is just down the wall about 20', I thought that
if the receptacle was as least as high as the busses in the panel it
wouldn't matter which one it reached first ?

Not at that point, no...

If it reaches that point you've more serious problems anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've not personally tried. However, it would be easy enough
nail some 1 x 4 to the ceiling beam, and run a wire down the
plank.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Limp Arbor" wrote in message

Ever try to attach an outlet box to a concrete wall and
staple the
romex to the concrete that is feeding the outlet?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've not personally tried. However, it would be easy enough
nail some 1 x 4 to the ceiling beam, and run a wire down the
plank.

Still wouldn't be code-compliant if on surface.

Posted to alt.home.repair

sid wrote:
Can anybody tell me why the receptacle for my sump pump in mounted to
a floor joist ? The cord reaches and the only the friction of the
conductors holds it there, but is there a code reason for mounting it
there. Wouldn’t a more cosmetic place to mount it be 12-16" up from
the floor near the pump ?

Thanks

That would be too low, but nothing wrong with a wall mounting about 36
to 48" off the floor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Limp Arbor wrote:
On Mar 16, 1:52 pm, sid wrote:
Can anybody tell me why the receptacle for my sump pump in mounted to
a floor joist ? The cord reaches and the only the friction of the
conductors holds it there, but is there a code reason for mounting it
there. Wouldn’t a more cosmetic place to mount it be 12-16" up from
the floor near the pump ?

Thanks

Ever try to attach an outlet box to a concrete wall and staple the
romex to the concrete that is feeding the outlet?

ever hear of tapcons and conduit?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
sid wrote:
Can anybody tell me why the receptacle for my sump pump in mounted to
a floor joist ? The cord reaches and the only the friction of the
conductors holds it there, but is there a code reason for mounting it
there. Wouldn’t a more cosmetic place to mount it be 12-16" up from
the floor near the pump ?

Thanks

That would be too low, but nothing wrong with a wall mounting about 36 to
48" off the floor.

Unless it is in a flood area where nothing electrical can be under 8' of the
floor. Some coastal areas require 8' ASL.

Posted to alt.home.repair

sid wrote:
Can anybody tell me why the receptacle for my sump pump in mounted to
a floor joist ? The cord reaches and the only the friction of the
conductors holds it there, but is there a code reason for mounting it
there. Wouldn’t a more cosmetic place to mount it be 12-16" up from
the floor near the pump ?

Thanks

Nothing wrong with that, and a lot of advantages- not in the way, no
trip hazard, etc. Yes, they probably did it that way out of laziness,
but how much does the cord weigh? If the outlet can't hold it, it needs
replacing anyway. I'm sure the electric aisle at the Borg has the little
clips that screw into the plate screw and have a fork to capture the
3-wire plug, if you are worried. (Or fake your own with a small eyebolt
run into the joist, and a ziptie around the cord 6 inches from the
plug,) I definitely would not bother changing to a different location
unless there was a real problem.

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

sid wrote:
Can anybody tell me why the receptacle for my sump pump in mounted to
a floor joist ? The cord reaches and the only the friction of the
conductors holds it there, but is there a code reason for mounting it
there. Wouldn’t a more cosmetic place to mount it be 12-16" up from
the floor near the pump ?

Thanks

That would be too low, but nothing wrong with a wall mounting about 36 to
48" off the floor.

Unless it is in a flood area where nothing electrical can be under 8' of the
floor. Some coastal areas require 8' ASL.

like one of the other replies said, if you get over 4' of water, the
electrical outlet is the least of your worries.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 10:52:09 -0700 (PDT), sid
wrote:

Can anybody tell me why the receptacle for my sump pump in mounted to
a floor joist ? The cord reaches and the only the friction of the
conductors holds it there, but is there a code reason for mounting it
there. Wouldn’t a more cosmetic place to mount it be 12-16" up from
the floor near the pump ?

That's where mine is.

Cinder block walls iirc. The first owner covered them with
insulation.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Can anybody tell me why the receptacle for my sump pump in mounted to
a floor joist ? The cord reaches and the only the friction of the
conductors holds it there, but is there a code reason for mounting it
there. Wouldn’t a more cosmetic place to mount it be 12-16" up from
the floor near the pump ?

I mean that mine is about 12 inches above the floor.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
Unless it is in a flood area where nothing electrical can be under 8' of
the floor. Some coastal areas require 8' ASL.

like one of the other replies said, if you get over 4' of water, the
electrical outlet is the least of your worries.

A fellow I worked with has had 6' of water in his basement a few times. Not
a problem. He lives next to a river and is prepared for it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

sid wrote:
Can anybody tell me why the receptacle for my sump pump in mounted to
a floor joist ? *The cord reaches and the only the friction of the
conductors holds it there, but is there a code reason for mounting it
there. *Wouldn’t a more cosmetic place to mount it be 12-16" up from
the floor near the pump ?

Thanks

That would be too low, but nothing wrong with a wall mounting about 36 to
48" off the floor.

Unless it is in a flood area where nothing electrical can be under 8' of the
floor. *Some coastal areas require 8' ASL.

What about the furnace and/or air handler? Are they not allowed in
the basement in flood areas?
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

dpb wrote:
Limp Arbor wrote:
... Wouldn’t a more cosmetic place to mount it be 12-16" up from
the floor near the pump ?

Ever try to attach an outlet box to a concrete wall and staple the
romex to the concrete that is feeding the outlet?

That would require conduit per Code--exposed romex would not pass.

Here, where the code is quite strict, allows romex to be installed on the
surface of the basement wall from the ceiling to a point 48" above the floor
where a plug or switch is normally installed. Any permanent wiring below
this is required in armored cable or conduit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Limp Arbor" wrote in message

Unless it is in a flood area where nothing electrical can be under 8' of
the
floor. Some coastal areas require 8' ASL.

What about the furnace and/or air handler? Are they not allowed in
the basement in flood areas?

Codes can vary by region. I do know that in some places, the street level
portion is 8' high and can have nothing mechanical or electrical mounted in
it. The portion is essentially a big storage area because they don't care
if you "stuff" gets soaked. Furnace is in the space above, as is everything
else.

Other coastal towns have the house on pilings so water can freely flow
below. Think of it as a slab house, just raised up.

I have friends whose parents bought coastal houses in Tuckerton, NJ in the
1950's and 60's. Most every house has since been raised at least 4' above
street level. Flooding is very common there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 17, 10:23*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Limp Arbor" wrote in message

[...]

I have a friend in Forked River, NJ and he put a big addition on his
slab house a few years ago.

Slabs are no longer allowed. He had to have telephone poles driven
down into the sand until they hit solid dirt. Then the addition was
built on top of the poles. I think it is up about 2' with 'blowout'
doors around the crawl space. The theory is if the water comes up the
doors will allow water to flow through the crawl space.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Have a customer who I kinda beat up about a 30 foot extension cord
across a room.

novel fix they put a outlet in the cieling with a twist lock plug.

I must admit I had no idea where the machine plugged in till a
maintence guy showed me.

so twist lock plug and outlet is another solution
Posted to alt.home.repair
sid sid is offline

On Mar 18, 6:03*pm, bob haller wrote:
Have a customer who I kinda beat up about a 30 foot extension cord
across a room.

novel fix they put a outlet in the cieling with a twist lock plug.

I must admit I had no idea where the machine plugged in till a
maintence guy showed me.

so twist lock plug and outlet is another solution

If I mount a box on the wall to and re-use the single receptacle
there, that leaves an open box on the ceiling. Can I mount a ceramic
pull chain fixture there and still be with in code. Would it be
terribly wrong ?

Posted to alt.home.repair
sid sid is offline

On Mar 23, 1:18*pm, bob haller wrote:
On Mar 23, 10:51 am, sid wrote:

On Mar 18, 6:03 pm, bob haller wrote:

Have a customer who I kinda beat up about a 30 foot extension cord
across a room.

novel fix they put a outlet in the cieling with a twist lock plug.

I must admit I had no idea where the machine plugged in till a
maintence guy showed me.

so twist lock plug and outlet is another solution

If I mount a box on the wall to and re-use the single receptacle
there, that leaves an open box on the ceiling. Can I mount a ceramic
pull chain fixture there and still be with in code. Would it be
terribly wrong ?

that should be fine, although you could just use a blank plate- Hide quoted text -

That corner were the sump is will be a small closet that holds almost
nothing. It would be nice to have a util light in there when you need
it.