Posted to alt.home.repair
Limp Arbor Limp Arbor is offline

Default sump pump receptacle in ceiling

On Mar 16, 10:03*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Steve Barker" wrote in message

sid wrote:
Can anybody tell me why the receptacle for my sump pump in mounted to
a floor joist ? *The cord reaches and the only the friction of the
conductors holds it there, but is there a code reason for mounting it
there. *Wouldn’t a more cosmetic place to mount it be 12-16" up from
the floor near the pump ?

Thanks

That would be too low, but nothing wrong with a wall mounting about 36 to
48" off the floor.

Unless it is in a flood area where nothing electrical can be under 8' of the
floor. *Some coastal areas require 8' ASL.

What about the furnace and/or air handler? Are they not allowed in
the basement in flood areas?