Posted to alt.home.repair
Limp Arbor Limp Arbor is offline

Default sump pump receptacle in ceiling

On Mar 17, 10:23*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Limp Arbor" wrote in message

Unless it is in a flood area where nothing electrical can be under 8' of
the
floor. Some coastal areas require 8' ASL.

What about the furnace and/or air handler? *Are they not allowed in
the basement in flood areas?

Codes can vary by region. I do know that in some places, the street level
portion is 8' high and can have nothing mechanical or electrical mounted in
it. *The portion is essentially a big storage area because they don't care
if you "stuff" gets soaked. *Furnace is in the space above, as is everything
else.

Other coastal towns have the house on pilings so water can freely flow
below. *Think of it as a slab house, just raised up.

I have friends whose parents bought coastal houses in Tuckerton, NJ in the
1950's and 60's. *Most every house has since been raised at least 4' above
street level. *Flooding is very common there.

I have a friend in Forked River, NJ and he put a big addition on his
slab house a few years ago.

Slabs are no longer allowed. He had to have telephone poles driven
down into the sand until they hit solid dirt. Then the addition was
built on top of the poles. I think it is up about 2' with 'blowout'
doors around the crawl space. The theory is if the water comes up the
doors will allow water to flow through the crawl space.