Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacement Windows?

Has anyone had theirs done recently???

What brand did you decide on??

Our house is 16 years old which has Rivco windows. They are now out of
business.
We have 6 windows that is foggy, steamy on the outside, 1 looks like it
has water running down it. A few look like there is fungus on the inside
of the window and they are hard to open and lock in the last year.

shirleyann

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 10, 7:47*am, (Shirley ann) wrote:
Has anyone had theirs done recently???

What brand did you decide on??

Our house is 16 years old which has Rivco windows. They are now out of
business.
We have 6 windows that is foggy, steamy on the outside, 1 looks like it
has water running down it. A few look like there is fungus on the inside
of the window and they are hard to open and lock in the last year.

shirleyann

I just installed 2 new Simonton. Double hung vinyl. They looked
exactly the same as and were much thicker than the old ones that were
in my home. They seem to get a very good rating on the window forums.
Just do a search for "simonton windows quality" or replacement windows
forums". I did a lot of research before I bought them. I didn't see
any negative reviews. I saw a lot of negative reviews about the HD and
Lowes windows (Pella and cant remember the HD brand).I installed them
myself and they are in and doing their job very well. I did have to
heave one replaced though because the bottom sash was not closing
evenly. I think the frame was defective. At first they thought it was
the sash so they just sent me a new one. They did not give me any
problem at all about it and even let me keep the extra sash. Now I
have an extra sash in case one breaks or something. They seem to be
very good quality for about $250 each. (not installed). Hope this
helps. Good luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Mar 10, 7:47*am, (Shirley ann) wrote:
Has anyone had theirs done recently???

What brand did you decide on??

Our house is 16 years old which has Rivco windows. They are now out of
business.
We have 6 windows that is foggy, steamy on the outside, 1 looks like it
has water running down it. A few look like there is fungus on the inside
of the window and they are hard to open and lock in the last year.

shirleyann

Why don't you just take the glass out and have it replace? It's
pretty simple (generally) and a lot cheaper than replacing the whole
window.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Shirley ann wrote:
Has anyone had theirs done recently???

What brand did you decide on??

Our house is 16 years old which has Rivco windows. They are now out of
business.
We have 6 windows that is foggy, steamy on the outside, 1 looks like it
has water running down it. A few look like there is fungus on the inside
of the window and they are hard to open and lock in the last year.

shirleyann

Pretty much most modern windows have easily removable sashes. Pull them
out and take them to you local glass place (not big box) who can repair
them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ShirleyAnn,

Has anyone had theirs done recently???
What brand did you decide on??
Our house is 16 years old which has Rivco windows.
They are now out of business.
We have 6 windows that is foggy, steamy on the outside, 1 looks like it
has water running down it. A few look like there is fungus on the inside
of the window and they are hard to open and lock in the last year.

I recently installed new windows at my in-laws house, and ordered "Empire
Pacific" replacement windows from Lowes. We installed Empire Pacific
windows in our own house and have been very happy with them, so that's what
we chose for my in-laws as well. In this case, I was replacing old wood
double-hung windows with the old style weights and cords. After careful
measuring, I simply removed the old trim and sashes and put the new vinyl
windows in their place. After sealing the gaps, caulking, and new trim they
look and work great.

HOWEVER, if your house is only 16 years old it's unlikely you have the
traditional double-hung windows in which case a "replacement" type window
(the kind without flanges meant to replace old double-hungs) is probably
not what you're looking for. Your existing window frames probably have
flanges that are attached, sealed, and flashed under the siding and trim.
It would be a lot bigger job to replace those with new windows. But, I'm
betting any local glass shop could replace the actual panes of glass
without much difficulty at a lower cost. Call around and see what they
say...

Anthony

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 05:40:42 -0700 (PDT), chrisc
wrote:

On Mar 10, 7:47Â*am, (Shirley ann) wrote:
[...]

HD up here uses (or used to, anyway, Bonneville windows. The higher
priced Bonneville is a decent window, but HD, of course, only handled
the "bargain" line which was FAR inferior
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 06:50:28 -0700 (PDT), Pat
wrote:

On Mar 10, 7:47Â*am, (Shirley ann) wrote:
Has anyone had theirs done recently???

What brand did you decide on??

Our house is 16 years old which has Rivco windows. They are now out of
business.
We have 6 windows that is foggy, steamy on the outside, 1 looks like it
has water running down it. A few look like there is fungus on the inside
of the window and they are hard to open and lock in the last year.

shirleyann

Why don't you just take the glass out and have it replace? It's
pretty simple (generally) and a lot cheaper than replacing the whole
window.

I'll second that. If you have good vinyl windows, new thermal units
are easy to install and a LOT less money.
Just make sure you get GOOD units. With "thermal break" spacers and at
least 2 types, preferably 3, of sealer used in manufacture. The cheap
units use the same urethane sealer for all 3 jobs.
Argon Low E squared units are the most efficient double glazed units -
and you can even get "self cleaning" glass.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 10:00:10 -0400, George
wrote:

Shirley ann wrote:
Has anyone had theirs done recently???

What brand did you decide on??

Our house is 16 years old which has Rivco windows. They are now out of
business.
We have 6 windows that is foggy, steamy on the outside, 1 looks like it
has water running down it. A few look like there is fungus on the inside
of the window and they are hard to open and lock in the last year.

shirleyann

Pretty much most modern windows have easily removable sashes. Pull them
out and take them to you local glass place (not big box) who can repair
them.

Don't even remove the sash. Just have the glass guy come out and
measure what is required. He will then order the units and replace
them in situ.
Posted to alt.home.repair

We had our 11 windows (original aluminum, single-pane glass) replaced with
double-hung vinyl windows by WorldofWindowsandSiding.com - they had the most
competitive price, a lifetime, transferrable warranty, and they gave us a
list of references. They measured, collected 1\2 the cost, and when their
guys came out to replace the windows, their work was done well and the
windows looked great - inside and out. The did a great cleanup job, too.

My expectations were exceeded.

wrote in message
news
On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 07:47:08 -0400, (Shirley
ann) wrote:

Has anyone had theirs done recently???

What brand did you decide on??

Our house is 16 years old which has Rivco windows. They are now out of
business.
We have 6 windows that is foggy, steamy on the outside, 1 looks like it
has water running down it. A few look like there is fungus on the inside
of the window and they are hard to open and lock in the last year.

shirleyann

Eurovinyl or Rehau

Posted to alt.home.repair

ann) wrote:

Has anyone had theirs done recently???

What brand did you decide on??

Our house is 16 years old which has Rivco windows. They are now out of
business.
We have 6 windows that is foggy, steamy on the outside, 1 looks like it
has water running down it. A few look like there is fungus on the inside
of the window and they are hard to open and lock in the last year.

shirleyann

Eurovinyl or Rehau

Single-pane aluminum is about the only thing I would consider vinyl an
upgrade from....
--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

ann) wrote:

Has anyone had theirs done recently???

What brand did you decide on??

Our house is 16 years old which has Rivco windows. They are now out of
business.
We have 6 windows that is foggy, steamy on the outside, 1 looks like it
has water running down it. A few look like there is fungus on the inside
of the window and they are hard to open and lock in the last year.

shirleyann
Eurovinyl or Rehau

Single-pane aluminum is about the only thing I would consider vinyl an
upgrade from....

Vinyl is an upgrade from MOST window technologies, in one way or
another. IF you buy GOOD vinyl. It does not warp, rot, split or peel.
It does not rust and is impervious to termite damage. It does not
conduct heat, and never needs to be painted.

That beats wood, aluminum, and steel. What other materials are out
there?
Sure beats sashless.

If you go the "walmart" route and buy the cheapest crap you can get
your hands on, made of unknown recycled vinyl instead of virgin
material just to save a buck, then you are correct.
Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

I realize the OP is talking about relatively new vinyl windows in a
16-yo house that have failed, but I just want to make the point that
for those of us who have wood windows still in good shape (only
needing some reglazing at most), pairing those with triple-track
storms is 1) a lot cheaper than replacing with cheap vinyl or aluminum
windows and 2) actually more energy efficient than said cheap new
windows from a heat conservation and a no-new-landfill-waste
standpoint. Any time someone suggests I replace my wood windows,
circa 1930, I tell them there is NO payback, period, because the new
stuff can't beat the old stuff. Also, I'm hearing from many many
people lots of complaints about drafts with new windows, not exactly
encouragement for me to throw money at them if my old ones work ok.
And they look great, fitting the house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Whatever . . wrote:
We had our 11 windows (original aluminum, single-pane glass) replaced with
double-hung vinyl windows by WorldofWindowsandSiding.com - they had the most
competitive price, a lifetime, transferrable warranty, and they gave us a
list of references. Â*They measured, collected 1\2 the cost, and when their
guys came out to replace the windows, their work was done well and the
windows looked great - inside and out. Â*The did a great cleanup job, too.

ann) wrote:

Has anyone had theirs done recently???

What brand did you decide on??

Our house is 16 years old which has Rivco windows. They are now out of
business.
We have 6 windows that is foggy, steamy on the outside, 1 looks like it
has water running down it. A few look like there is fungus on the inside
of the window and they are hard to open and lock in the last year.

shirleyann
Eurovinyl or Rehau

Single-pane aluminum is about the only thing I would consider vinyl an
upgrade from....

Â*Vinyl is an upgrade from MOST window technologies, in one way or
another. IF you buy GOOD vinyl. It does not warp, rot, split or peel.
It does not rust and is impervious to termite damage. It does not
conduct heat, and never needs to be painted.

That beats wood, aluminum, and steel. What other materials are out
there?
Sure beats sashless.

If you go the "walmart" route and buy the cheapest crap you can get
your hands on, made of unknown recycled vinyl instead of virgin
material just to save a buck, then you are correct.- Hide quoted text -

Have had pvc 2 pane sealed unit low e have been great All Weather
brand here in Canada .

And "All Weather" is only middle of the road. There are lots better.
(ANd all-weather are pretty decent windowa when all is said and done)
Posted to alt.home.repair

AnthonyG_MA had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ws-363458-.htm
:

Just wondering if you've made any decision as to the replacement windows?
I have the same Rivco windows and am experiencing the same exact problem!
My Gambrel is just under 15 years old, and the 2 dormers show signs of
condensation on the inside, between the 2 panes of glass. The exterior
sills have started to rot on these 2 windows as well. I am considering
replacements, but am overwhelmed by all the choices and decisions
involved!

-------------------------------------
Shirley ann wrote:

Has anyone had theirs done recently???

What brand did you decide on??

Our house is 16 years old which has Rivco windows. They are now out of
business.
We have 6 windows that is foggy, steamy on the outside, 1 looks like it
has water running down it. A few look like there is fungus on the
inside
of the window and they are hard to open and lock in the last year.

shirleyann

Posted to alt.home.repair

thebluesparty had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ws-363458-.htm
:
I bought replacement windows (just the sealed replacement glass) for my
house in ME evidently just before Rivco went out of business. We were in
FL, and I had them put in storage. I've now decided to not just have the
glass replaced, so I'm stuck with (i.e., have nowhere to return / echange)
26 24X24 and 2 24X16 brand new windows. Anyone need this size or have any
suggestions?

Shirley ann wrote:

Has anyone had theirs done recently???

What brand did you decide on??

Our house is 16 years old which has Rivco windows. They are now out of
business.
We have 6 windows that is foggy, steamy on the outside, 1 looks like it
has water running down it. A few look like there is fungus on the
inside
of the window and they are hard to open and lock in the last year.

shirleyann

-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.the****offcompany.com/mai...ws-363458-.htm
:
I bought replacement windows (just the sealed replacement glass) for my
house in ME evidently just before Rivco went out of business. We were in
FL, and I had them put in storage. I've now decided to not just have the
glass replaced, so I'm stuck with (i.e., have nowhere to return / echange)
26 24X24 and 2 24X16 brand new windows. Anyone need this size or have any
suggestions?

Yeah, I have a suggestion. Tell the SUCK-O company to stop spamming
usenet with their phony bull****.

Replacement Windows Peter[_9_] UK diy 8 July 10th 08 08:58 PM
Replacement Windows David Glass Home Repair 0 May 9th 07 09:06 PM
Replacement Windows Steve Hawkins Home Repair 6 March 12th 07 02:29 PM
Replacement Windows Carl Home Repair 33 June 17th 06 02:10 AM
Replacement windows Dick Adams Home Repair 2 June 5th 06 08:54 PM