Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Replacement Windows?

ShirleyAnn,

Has anyone had theirs done recently???
What brand did you decide on??
Our house is 16 years old which has Rivco windows.
They are now out of business.
We have 6 windows that is foggy, steamy on the outside, 1 looks like it
has water running down it. A few look like there is fungus on the inside
of the window and they are hard to open and lock in the last year.

I recently installed new windows at my in-laws house, and ordered "Empire
Pacific" replacement windows from Lowes. We installed Empire Pacific
windows in our own house and have been very happy with them, so that's what
we chose for my in-laws as well. In this case, I was replacing old wood
double-hung windows with the old style weights and cords. After careful
measuring, I simply removed the old trim and sashes and put the new vinyl
windows in their place. After sealing the gaps, caulking, and new trim they
look and work great.

HOWEVER, if your house is only 16 years old it's unlikely you have the
traditional double-hung windows in which case a "replacement" type window
(the kind without flanges meant to replace old double-hungs) is probably
not what you're looking for. Your existing window frames probably have
flanges that are attached, sealed, and flashed under the siding and trim.
It would be a lot bigger job to replace those with new windows. But, I'm
betting any local glass shop could replace the actual panes of glass
without much difficulty at a lower cost. Call around and see what they
say...

Anthony