Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "This Is An Important Message Regarding Your Credit Card/Auto Warranty/..."

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...
Tony Sivori wrote:
On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 11:17:22 -0400, Abby wrote:

For the past few months I have been bugged by automated
telemarketers with spiels starting with "This is an important
message regarding your credit card" and a similar one about my
expiring auto warranty. We are on the "do not call registry" so
these shouldn't happen. I have responded a couple times to give
them hell but didn't get a human to rant to. Is there some
recourse to these jerks?

You are one of millions who has been called by a hard core telemarket
law violator. They use fake caller ID, and ignore the do not call
list.

Report them to your state's Attorney General and the Do Not Call
violation complaint site.

Here in Canada the telemarketers are downloading the "do not call" phone
number list and selling it to off-shore telemarketers who are not bothered
by the law and use it as a proven list of people who have valid phone
numbers. You can't win, they get you no matter what.

I work out of my home and so does DH. We have a second business line for
him, but I've always used the home phone for my business, since I rarely get
calls. Answering the phone, "Good morning, Business Name, how may I help
you", gets most of the telemarketers to ask, "Is this a business?" and when
I answer affirmatively, they almost always say, "Sorry, we're only calling
residences" and hang up. If they as for me by name (usually with such a
thick accent I can hardly understand them) I say, "I'm sorry, I'm not
allowed to take personal calls at work, you'll have to call me at home," and
hang up on them. They rarely call back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 8, 2:54*pm, Phisherman wrote:
On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 11:17:22 -0400, "Abby"
wrote:

Hi,

For the past few months I have been bugged by automated telemarketers with
spiels starting with "This is an important message regarding your credit card"
and a similar one about my expiring auto warranty. *We are on the "do not call
registry" so these shouldn't happen. *I have responded a couple times to give
them hell but didn't get a human to rant to. *Is there some recourse to these
jerks?

Thanks,
Gary

Using the answering machine I was screening all my calls during last
Presidential election. * I got 5-15 political calls each day,
eventually leaving the phone unplugged for 3 weeks. *I'm on the "Do
Not Call List" (since April 2008) but it is exempt from political
campaigning. *I guess I do not always have a right to a working phone
in peace.

I have been getting the same receorded meesage for past months. "This
is an important message regarding your current credit card account.
We have made several attempts to reach you. This is your final
courtesy call before we are unable to lower your credit card interest
rate. Press 1 to speak to a member services department or press 2 and
your eligibility will expire." I have pressed 1 in the past in an
attempt to get the company name or phone #. Told service
representative not to call me anymore because I'm on the do not call
list, so representative hung up on me. Another time I asked to call
them back with a phone #, rep did not give a call back #. Credit
services may be a false name. This same recorded message still keep
on calling my home phone. I have pressed 2 before with no end in
this recorded message. I need to get at least a real company name or
phone # for do not call complaint to have a chance to be effective.

Tom
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/09/09 03:06 pm wrote:

[...]

I had another such call this morning, but whether it was in fact from
the same telemarketer as the previous calls I have no idea. I selected
the option to speak to a representative, who told me her name and asked
for my phone number. I gave it to her and immediately said that I had
chosen to speak to a human being because I did not want them to call me
ever again. She replied that they would put me on the Do Not Call list.
Time will tell. I'll have to make a note of the number: (305) 836-7371,
which appears to be in Florida; is that the same number from which
others have received calls?

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Sivori wrote:
On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 16:34:17 -0400, Frank wrote:

Tony Sivori wrote:
On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 13:47:21 -0400, Frank wrote:

Sent in complaint to state AG who said they would forward to FCC.
Personally I think it's ****ing in the wind but wife wanted to do it.
For crimes of this type, the AG tends to act only when it gets enough
complaints. So every complaint helps.

It is an FCC, national law being broken and state AG's generally cannot
help although once I had a problem with AT&T and talked to magistrates
court about suing and was referred to AG who solved problem. I mentioned
elsewhere in thread where state AG sent my complaint to FCC.

My mistake, I assumed most or all states had their own telemarketing laws
and Do Not Call lists. My state (KY) does.

Things get sticky enforcing national vs state laws and I also strongly
suspect that the latest telemarketers are operating from offshore where
US law cannot be enforced.

Why do you suspect that?

I was being bugged by some vacation group. They were sending me faxes
so I called their 800 number and the gal said they were in Cancun.
There was a time I'd collect junk faxes and when I got several, I'd
forward to FCC.

I guess the state laws vary but states would not have jurisdiction
outside the state and feds would not have it outside the country.

I live in Delaware and the number my wife snagged was an unlisted Los
Vegas number that I sent to the state AG who forwarded to FCC. The
number seemed real because I called it and they had a recording that
said thanks for calling and my number was being added to their do not
call list. Otherwise you have to suspect that numbers are forged.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/08/09 11:21 am Han wrote:

Did you know that the do not call registry automatically expires after (I
believe) 3 years? You'll have to reregister for do not call. Even then,
some pests, like the PBA, are perpetual and claim exemption.

If by "PBA" you mean the Patrolmen's Benevolent Association, they would
be exempt as an allegedly charitable organization.

But did you take note of the exact wording? Did they say they were the
PBA, or that they were calling "on behalf of" the PBA?

If the latter, then I should not be surprised if it's the same racket
that I discovered in connection with the Michigan Association of Police:
the latter contracted with some fund-raising organization, which
promises to pay the MAP not a percentage of what they raise "on behalf
of" the MAP but a fixed amount. The fund-raising organization gets to
keep whatever it can squeeze out of the public above that amount.

Even if the PBA or the MAP were getting a reasonably high percentage of
the money raised, do you see any reason to subsidize your law
enforcement personnel's union dues? That is what the deal is all about,
and that is how it was announced to MAP members on a Web site I found
several years back.

At the time I looked into this, I discovered that said fund-raising
organization was under investigation by one or two states' attorneys
general.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message

I was being bugged by some vacation group. They were sending me faxes so
I called their 800 number and the gal said they were in Cancun.
There was a time I'd collect junk faxes and when I got several, I'd
forward to FCC.

Oh, I hat it when they send me a fax and use my paper. I called then and
said I wanted to take the trip. After hearing some of the details, I told
them I was afraid to fly so could I take a bus.

I also received a fax to sell me toner and ink. The idiots gave an 800 fax
number to reply with the order. My computer fax can be set to show any
number and name I want so I sent them a fax. A long fax. and another fax.
and another fax.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"h" wrote:

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...
Tony Sivori wrote:
[...]

But the autodialers don't work that way. The caller never hears your
"hello" because there is a five or more second pause from the time you
pick up the phone to the time the sales associate is connected to the
line.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
But the autodialers don't work that way. The caller never hears your
"hello" because there is a five or more second pause from the time you
pick up the phone to the time the sales associate is connected to the
line.

Yeah, I like that. No reply in two seconds and I hang up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message
I was being bugged by some vacation group. They were sending me faxes so
I called their 800 number and the gal said they were in Cancun.
There was a time I'd collect junk faxes and when I got several, I'd
forward to FCC.

Oh, I hat it when they send me a fax and use my paper. I called then and
said I wanted to take the trip. After hearing some of the details, I told
them I was afraid to fly so could I take a bus.

I also received a fax to sell me toner and ink. The idiots gave an 800 fax
number to reply with the order. My computer fax can be set to show any
number and name I want so I sent them a fax. A long fax. and another fax.
and another fax.

Oh Ed, you beast, you violated the law. Expect
a federal SWAT team any moment. Oh yea, the
Feds won't do anything about the other outlaws
so I guess you're safe.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 3/9/2009 5:38 PM (ET) Percival P. Cassidy wrote the following:
On 03/08/09 11:21 am Han wrote:

[...]

If you feel the need to donate to the local PBA, send the check directly
to the local PBA. Make it out to the (PD name)PBA, in care of the
treasurer. That way, they get 100% of the donation.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Frank" wrote in message

I was being bugged by some vacation group. They were sending me faxes so
I called their 800 number and the gal said they were in Cancun.
There was a time I'd collect junk faxes and when I got several, I'd
forward to FCC.

Oh, I hat it when they send me a fax and use my paper. I called then and
said I wanted to take the trip. After hearing some of the details, I told
them I was afraid to fly so could I take a bus.

I also received a fax to sell me toner and ink. The idiots gave an 800
fax
number to reply with the order. My computer fax can be set to show any
number and name I want so I sent them a fax. A long fax. and another
fax. and another fax.

I think paying for a WATS (800) number entitles you to a bill that includes
a list of phone numbers which have called in. Dunno whether that includes
over-riding a blocked number.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 09:42:44 -0400, Bryce
wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Frank" wrote in message

[...]

There is nothing to override, since toll-Free numbers don't use Caller
ID. They use an older service called ANI that is not affected by CID
blocking.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The government of the United States is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

Posted to alt.home.repair

There is nothing to override, since toll-Free numbers don't use Caller
ID. They use an older service called ANI that is not affected by CID
blocking.

If it's delivered to a "target number" (really just a call
forward to a regular line) and you subscribe to caller id
(name and number) you will get the number and usually the
name. The only exception is some government numbers (mental
hospitals, cia, etc) that are blocked. Since you are paying
for the call, you are entitled to receive the number, and
name if there is one in the database. Older trunk service
was limited to ani, but just about all calls now route via
ss-7.

We get thousands of calls each month on 4 lines with 800
service and only miss one of two number/name each month.
Our non 800 lines only average 60% unblocked cid, and 1/3 of
those have no name (cell and voip calls).

That's one way the web companies gather the unlisted/non-pub
numbers. Want to keep a private number. don't call any 800
number.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Abby wrote:
Hi,

For the past few months I have been bugged by automated telemarketers
with spiels starting with "This is an important message regarding your
credit card" and a similar one about my expiring auto warranty. We are
on the "do not call registry" so these shouldn't happen. I have
responded a couple times to give them hell but didn't get a human to
rant to. Is there some recourse to these jerks?

The FCC has been deluged with complaints about the auto warranty scam,
but thus far has been unable to shut them down.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "This Is An Important Message Regarding Your Credit Card/AutoW...

I called my local tv news help line.
Carl Monday made them pay. They were fined $1,000 for calling me when I
was on the do not call list.
The news reporters just love that stuff.
Give them a call it might help.
Jr

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974Tryke

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Frank" wrote in message

I was being bugged by some vacation group. They were sending me faxes so
I called their 800 number and the gal said they were in Cancun.
There was a time I'd collect junk faxes and when I got several, I'd
forward to FCC.

Oh, I hat it when they send me a fax and use my paper. I called then and
said I wanted to take the trip. After hearing some of the details, I told
them I was afraid to fly so could I take a bus.

I also received a fax to sell me toner and ink. The idiots gave an 800
fax number to reply with the order. My computer fax can be set to show
any number and name I want so I sent them a fax. A long fax. and another
fax. and another fax.

Some faxes allow you to loop two or three sheets with tape so it just keeps
on sending and sending and sending and sending and sending ...... sometimes
we just left it on leaving work on Friday.

you get the idea.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 12:53:42 -0700, SMS
wrote:

Abby wrote:
Hi,

For the past few months I have been bugged by automated telemarketers
with spiels starting with "This is an important message regarding your
credit card" and a similar one about my expiring auto warranty. We are
on the "do not call registry" so these shouldn't happen. I have
responded a couple times to give them hell but didn't get a human to
rant to. Is there some recourse to these jerks?

The FCC has been deluged with complaints about the auto warranty scam,
but thus far has been unable to shut them down.

I've gotten those calls. I suppose they don't know that my only
vehicle at the moment is over 10 years old.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The government of the United States is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/2009 7:17 AM Abby spake thus:

For the past few months I have been bugged by automated telemarketers with
spiels starting with "This is an important message regarding your credit card"
and a similar one about my expiring auto warranty. We are on the "do not call
registry" so these shouldn't happen. I have responded a couple times to give
them hell but didn't get a human to rant to. Is there some recourse to these
jerks?

OK, I'd like to help shut these mother****ers down. Here's my idea: the
next time they call, I get all enthusiastic and stuff. Hey, I really
*do* need my car's warranty renewed--can you help me do it?

SO what I need is a plausible make, model and year of a car that would
need a warranty renewed. I don't know much about cars: can someone here
supply this info so I can try to snag these assholes?

mostly pears.
Made With Pears: Pretty good chance that pears will be detectable in
the product.
Contains Pears: One pear seed per multiple tons of product.

(with apologies to Dorothy L. Sayers)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message

I was being bugged by some vacation group. They were sending me faxes so
I called their 800 number and the gal said they were in Cancun.
There was a time I'd collect junk faxes and when I got several, I'd
forward to FCC.

Oh, I hat it when they send me a fax and use my paper. I called then and
said I wanted to take the trip. After hearing some of the details, I told
them I was afraid to fly so could I take a bus.

I also received a fax to sell me toner and ink. The idiots gave an 800
fax number to reply with the order. My computer fax can be set to show
any number and name I want so I sent them a fax. A long fax. and another
fax. and another fax.

You CAN take a bus to Cancun. You have to go through Mexico, but you can.

If YOU sent the fax, you're paying the phone charges. Unless it's a local
number or you have a one-price phone bill, the joke's on you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"h" wrote:

I also received a fax to sell me toner and ink. The idiots gave an 800
fax number to reply with the order. \

If YOU sent the fax, you're paying the phone charges. Unless it's a local
number or you have a one-price phone bill, the joke's on you.

It was to an 800 (toll free) number.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 11, 8:37*am, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,

*"h" wrote:

I also received a fax to sell me toner and ink. *The idiots gave an 800
fax number to reply with the order. *\

If YOU sent the fax, you're paying the phone charges. Unless it's a local
number or you have a one-price phone bill, the joke's on you.

It was to an 800 (toll free) number.

So what? There are plenty of people who pay for minutes used, not just
long distance. What if you're faxing from your Tracfone? You're still
paying for minutes. Yes, if it's a landline with a standard phone
plan, the phone call is free. Still a huge timewaster. Besides, who
keeps their fax machine on unless they're expecting a fax?
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

OK, I'd like to help shut these mother****ers down. Here's my idea:
the next time they call, I get all enthusiastic and stuff. Hey, I
really *do* need my car's warranty renewed--can you help me do it?

SO what I need is a plausible make, model and year of a car that would
need a warranty renewed. I don't know much about cars: can someone
here supply this info so I can try to snag these assholes?

They don't CARE what kind of car you have!

Best to sign up for the deluxe package with a credit card, then dispute the
charge. Your credit card company already has 18,321 identical complaints
about the outfit, so they won't have any hesitancy about honoring your
claim.

If, however, you can actually get one of their representatives to visit your
home, you could kill him and no jury would convict you...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

If, however, you can actually get one of their representatives to visit your
home, you could kill him and no jury would convict you...

just remember that they have to IN the house and they can't be shot in
the back. With those two privisos, you should be good to go.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 12:15:11 -0400, Tony Sivori
wrote:

You are one of millions who has been called by a hard core telemarket law
violator. They use fake caller ID, and ignore the do not call list.

So... Fake caller ID and how are you supposed to report them?

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 11:17:22 -0400, "Abby"
wrote:

Hi,

For the past few months I have been bugged by automated telemarketers with
spiels starting with "This is an important message regarding your credit card"
and a similar one about my expiring auto warranty. We are on the "do not call
registry" so these shouldn't happen. I have responded a couple times to give
them hell but didn't get a human to rant to. Is there some recourse to these
jerks?

Thanks,
Gary

What a bunch of pansy whiners.
Just don't anser the phone. If it's important they will leave a # and
message!!

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You are one of millions who has been called by a hard core telemarket law
violator. They use fake caller ID, and ignore the do not call list.

So... Fake caller ID and how are you supposed to report them?

An unenforceable law is little better than no law at all.

--
aem sends...