Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Placement of Bath Exhaust Fan

I want to replace the cheapo builder's exhaust fan with a higher cfm
model. The bathroom is 12 x 12 feet. The toilet is in the NW corner
and the shower is in the SE corner. The outer wall is the north side.
The current fan is over the toilet. My primary purpose is to exhaust
the humid air from the shower. Would it be alright to put the new fan
in the middle of the room.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 5, 8:03*am, Edge wrote:
I want to replace the cheapo builder's exhaust fan with a higher cfm
model. The bathroom is 12 x 12 feet. The toilet is in the NW corner
and the shower is in the SE corner. The outer wall is the north side.
The current fan is over the toilet. My primary purpose is to exhaust
the humid air from the shower. Would it be alright to put the new fan
in the middle of the room.

That's where most of the ones I've seen are located. Sounds like a
good compromise.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Edge wrote:
I want to replace the cheapo builder's exhaust fan with a higher cfm
model. The bathroom is 12 x 12 feet. The toilet is in the NW corner
and the shower is in the SE corner. The outer wall is the north side.
The current fan is over the toilet. My primary purpose is to exhaust
the humid air from the shower. Would it be alright to put the new fan
in the middle of the room.

I think the primary concerns would be wiring, ducts and venting...not
enough information. Why not just replace the fan with a better model?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 5, 8:16*am, "
wrote:
Edge wrote:
I want to replace the cheapo builder's exhaust fan with a higher cfm
model. The bathroom is 12 x 12 feet. The toilet is in the NW corner
and the shower is in the SE corner. The outer wall is the north side.
The current fan is over the toilet. My primary purpose is to exhaust
the humid air from the shower. Would it be alright to put the new fan
in the middle of the room.

I think the primary concerns would be wiring, ducts and venting...not
enough information. *Why not just replace the fan with a better model?

+1 on that, if it is a one story the task is simplified, still the
area near the edge of the roof is pretty inaccessible. I put one in
the center of our main bath, fortunately it has a dormer above it so I
could exhaust through a hole in a side wall.
It was still a few of the worst hours of my life, maybe if I was 30
and 2/3 my size it might have been easier. I also had to run multiple
wires, I picked up a nice stainless unit with light, heat and vent,
with a real glass lens at a place that salvages nice homes bulldozed
for McMansions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

There is no doubt that moving the fan to another location is going to
be more work. However since I see humid air from daily showers as more
of a problem than poop stink, wouldn't putting the fan in its existing
location, over the toilet and diagonally the furthest from the shower,
make even a high cfm fan much less effective.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 5, 10:51�am, Edge wrote:
There is no doubt that moving the fan to another location is going to
be more work. However since I see humid air from daily showers as more
of a problem than poop stink, wouldn't putting the fan in its existing
location, over the toilet and diagonally the furthest from the shower,
make even a high cfm fan much less effective.

you eed easy air in for good flow...........

like a louver in the door.

could remove the existing fan motor and blades, leave the cover in
place and install a large high CFM exhaust fan in attic with exhaust
outside

much less noise, higher air flow less work too
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:
On Mar 5, 10:51�am, Edge wrote:
There is no doubt that moving the fan to another location is going to
be more work. However since I see humid air from daily showers as more
of a problem than poop stink, wouldn't putting the fan in its existing
location, over the toilet and diagonally the furthest from the shower,
make even a high cfm fan much less effective.

you eed easy air in for good flow...........

like a louver in the door.

could remove the existing fan motor and blades, leave the cover in
place and install a large high CFM exhaust fan in attic with exhaust
outside

much less noise, higher air flow less work too

Less work? What is "high CFM"? 110? 240? At what point does it suck
the door off it's hinges? ) There is a Panasonic with built in timer
which, it seems, would solve the issue of CFM being a problem. Our fan
is ancient, but installed a timer on the wall-switch so's we didn't have
to wait on it to finish it's job.

12x bath, with 8' ceiling, has 1152 cu. ft....70 cfm changes the air in
about 16 min. With 110 cfm, it takes a little more than 10 min. How to
replace the air if that much is exhausted?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edge" wrote in message
I want to replace the cheapo builder's exhaust fan with a higher cfm
model. The bathroom is 12 x 12 feet. The toilet is in the NW corner
and the shower is in the SE corner. The outer wall is the north side.
The current fan is over the toilet. My primary purpose is to exhaust
the humid air from the shower. Would it be alright to put the new fan
in the middle of the room.

Just as important is the air intake and flow across the room. For every
cubic foot of air the fan exhausts, it has to suck that into the room. If
the fan is near the side of the room near the outside wall, it will draw
from under the door and across the room taking anything in its path. The
closer you move it to center, the less flow across the other section of the
room. Seems like a lot of extra work for possibly less performance. I'd
keep the fan on the north side.

Get a Panasonic fan. Very quiet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Edge" wrote in message
[...]

Hi,
Simply law of physics. I'd locate the fan in the conter of ceiling and
you may have to increase the size of exhaust duct. Also noise level.
I think Panasonic has good ones.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi,
Simply law of physics. I'd locate the fan in the conter of ceiling and
you may have to increase the size of exhaust duct. Also noise level.
I think Panasonic has good ones.

I like physics problems. After a shower, the top of the 12x12 room is
evenly filled with hot humid air. Where to place a hole, using 4 inch
ducting, to most efficiently evacuate that air? Similarly, consider a
12x12 tub filled with, say two feet, of water. Where to place a 4 inch
hole to drain it the quickest - in the middle or in the corner?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 05:03:17 -0800 (PST), Edge
wrote:

I want to replace the cheapo builder's exhaust fan with a higher cfm
model. The bathroom is 12 x 12 feet. The toilet is in the NW corner
and the shower is in the SE corner. The outer wall is the north side.
The current fan is over the toilet. My primary purpose is to exhaust
the humid air from the shower. Would it be alright to put the new fan
in the middle of the room.

Of course. I'd avoid putting it directly above the shower, though. My
question would be what are you going to do with the hole left behind?