Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric in North TX Eric in North TX is offline

Default Placement of Bath Exhaust Fan

On Mar 5, 8:16*am, "
wrote:
Edge wrote:
I want to replace the cheapo builder's exhaust fan with a higher cfm
model. The bathroom is 12 x 12 feet. The toilet is in the NW corner
and the shower is in the SE corner. The outer wall is the north side.
The current fan is over the toilet. My primary purpose is to exhaust
the humid air from the shower. Would it be alright to put the new fan
in the middle of the room.

I think the primary concerns would be wiring, ducts and venting...not
enough information. *Why not just replace the fan with a better model?

+1 on that, if it is a one story the task is simplified, still the
area near the edge of the roof is pretty inaccessible. I put one in
the center of our main bath, fortunately it has a dormer above it so I
could exhaust through a hole in a side wall.
It was still a few of the worst hours of my life, maybe if I was 30
and 2/3 my size it might have been easier. I also had to run multiple
wires, I picked up a nice stainless unit with light, heat and vent,
with a real glass lens at a place that salvages nice homes bulldozed
for McMansions.