Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT TV sound volume for commercials

The sound difference was noticeable on my old set. I now have a new
TV with Stereo sound. The change in volume is much greater. The
difference is head splitting sometimes.

If there is, in fact, a law against the volume level for commercials,
I guess we have one more law on the book that no one enforces.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 16:28:59 -0500, metspitzer wrote:
The sound difference was noticeable on my old set. I now have a new
TV with Stereo sound. The change in volume is much greater. The
difference is head splitting sometimes.

If there is, in fact, a law against the volume level for commercials,
I guess we have one more law on the book that no one enforces.

Believe it or not, the volume on commercials isn't that much louder. The
nasty part is that it is heavily compressed -- the range between the quietest
and loudest volumes is reduced so that it is all at maximum volume.

Best thing you can do is get a DVR and be done with them. Baring that, have
the remote handy and hit the mute for the most ****ing obnoxious
commercials.

And now we have commercials blasting us in 5.1 sound including subwoofer
effects. barf

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
The sound difference was noticeable on my old set. I now have a new
TV with Stereo sound. The change in volume is much greater. The
difference is head splitting sometimes.

If there is, in fact, a law against the volume level for commercials,
I guess we have one more law on the book that no one enforces.

Believe it or not, the volume on commercials isn't that much louder. The
nasty part is that it is heavily compressed -- the range between the
quietest
and loudest volumes is reduced so that it is all at maximum volume.

Best thing you can do is get a DVR and be done with them. Baring that,
have
the remote handy and hit the mute for the most ****ing obnoxious
commercials.

And now we have commercials blasting us in 5.1 sound including subwoofer
effects. barf

Years ago they had a circuit in radios and TVs (AGC or AVC) that sampled the
volume of the incoming signals and levelled them off. I have not seen one
TV mfgr. advertise this in their sets and don't think they include it
anymore. However I have written my members of Congress to have the FCC
either come up with a new regulation or enforce any existing regulations
concerning volume levels between shows and commercials and from volume
differences between different channels. If you speak to Directv or the
cable company they will tell you they have no control over this. All they
control is the constant rise in prices they give their customers. How's
about everyone contacting their Congressmen and getting the ball rolling to
correct this annoying problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Sanity" wrote:
How's about everyone contacting their Congressmen and getting
the ball rolling to correct this annoying problem.

Futile. The industry has already greased the wheels.

If you want to make a difference, just cancel service.
It seems the industry has a total commitment to find
every conceivable method to annoy its customers. It's
what they do!

Extinction is the best solution. So just cancel and
help end the misery sooner rather than later.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 17:13:37 -0500, "Sanity" wrote:

Years ago they had a circuit in radios and TVs (AGC or AVC) that sampled the
volume of the incoming signals and levelled them off. I have not seen one
TV mfgr. advertise this in their sets and don't think they include it
anymore. However I have written my members of Congress to have the FCC
either come up with a new regulation or enforce any existing regulations
concerning volume levels between shows and commercials and from volume
differences between different channels. If you speak to Directv or the
cable company they will tell you they have no control over this. All they
control is the constant rise in prices they give their customers. How's
about everyone contacting their Congressmen and getting the ball rolling to
correct this annoying problem.

A dollar to a flyspeck the $ behind the ad industry would totally eviscerate
such an effort. "It's All For Sale".

I won't have anything to do with 'em anymore. I'll tune 2 channels and flip
when an ad comes on. And I keep a recorded something that I'll replay
when there are ads on both channels. Been doing this for years.

They drown us with deceitful garbage images/sounds. So long as it's their
job to stick their "message" under the noses of everyone and their uncle
when 99.99% of the audience want nothing to do with their product, there's
little/no difference between the Nigerian that emails you offering
$1,000,000 and the ad exec who books a super-bowl ad that -costs-
$1,000,000.

Fight back,
Puddin'

Posted to alt.home.repair

Years ago they had a circuit in radios and TVs (AGC or AVC) that sampled the
volume of the incoming signals and levelled them off. I have not seen one
TV mfgr. advertise this in their sets and don't think they include it
anymore.

I have a recent Samsung LCD that has the (rough) equivalent, and it does
make some difference; but still, there are commercials that are
substantially 'louder' than the program. (Over the air, anyway).

The definition of 'loudness' can be tinkered with indefinitely, and some
of the explanations make technical sense; but I would never believe that
Madison Ave. would sit still if their commercials were actually QUIETER
(or apparently quieter) than the program. The fact that it's NEVER the
other way around convinces me that it's deliberate and controllable.

Therefore I think regulation is inevitable. Meanwhile, the MUTE button
gets quite a workout anymore.

However I have written my members of Congress to have the FCC
either come up with a new regulation or enforce any existing regulations
concerning volume levels between shows and commercials and from volume
differences between different channels. If you speak to Directv or the
cable company they will tell you they have no control over this. All they
control is the constant rise in prices they give their customers. How's
about everyone contacting their Congressmen and getting the ball rolling to
correct this annoying problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

The sound difference was noticeable on my old set. I now have a new
TV with Stereo sound. The change in volume is much greater. The

That discourages me from buying anything new.

difference is head splitting sometimes.

If there is, in fact, a law against the volume level for commercials,
I guess we have one more law on the book that no one enforces.

I don't think there is such a law and they insist they're not doing
it, although I'm not at all convinced.

This is not a new topic. It's been discussed for more than a decade,
maybe much more.

I hate it too. Just one reason, sometimes I want to be able to fall
asleep to the tv and the commercials wake me up. Sometimes even tne
music between segments on NPR seems enough to wake me up.

I looked and found "Volume controllers" or something like that for
sale. One was 10 or 12 dollars, one from Amazon about 26 dollars and
one around 60. Maybe all of them from Amazon. I figured I'd buy the
one in the middle. I hooked it up a couple months ago and I hear no
difference. Without a convincing endorsement, I'm not buying the 60
dollar one.

It would be easy, no more than one more button on the remote control
and maybe not even one, to enable two volume levels for televisions.
One could raise the level and press Set, and that would set the higher
value, then lower the level and press Set and that would set the lower
level, and then just press Set to go from high to low and back. I
think this would be a popular feature, but maybe the networks are
paying or would pay the manufacturers not to include it.

I'm sure all radios and tvs continued to have AVC and AGC forever,
whether they advertised it or not. It's an essential circuit, that
takes as little as one or two parts. (For Sony that would be 5 or 10
parts. ) Other than maybe the digital ones. I can see why maybe
it is not included in digital, where signal strength is not directly
related to volume, iiuc.

I still like watching a show "live" even if there is nothing live
about it. When I watch a copy that I record, I'm always going
backward to hear some word I misunderstood. I'd sort of rather watch
it live and just miss whatever I miss.

But I"m not always home and I do watch a lot that I've recorded, and
then I mostly skip the commercials. Even that has it's disadvantages.
I sort of like the commercials because I can relax, think aboutother
things during them, if the sound were not blasting. WAtching an hour
show in a half-hour can wear me out. (I even skip 30 seconds from when
the 3 Jeopardy contestants are introduced to when the categories are
shown. Alex says the same thing every day during those 30 seconds.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
I don't think there is such a law and they insist they're not doing
it, although I'm not at all convinced.

This is not a new topic. It's been discussed for more than a decade,
maybe much more.

I hate it too. Just one reason, sometimes I want to be able to fall
asleep to the tv and the commercials wake me up. Sometimes even tne
music between segments on NPR seems enough to wake me up.

I've heard various stories too, but have no idea of the truth. Sound though,
is more than just volume. By tinkering with the tone and such, they can make
the sound more noticeable. Some sows seem to have a quiet segment seconds
before the commercial and then all of a sudden you hear "Billy Mays here
with a new . . . . ."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 1:28*pm, metspitzer wrote:
The sound difference was noticeable on my old set. *I now have a new
TV with Stereo sound. *The change in volume is much greater. *The
difference is head splitting sometimes.

If there is, in fact, a law against the volume level for commercials,
I guess we have one more law on the book that no one enforces.

If you dont have a DVR (I don't)........ keep the remote handy & hit
the mute button......peaceful commercials.

Cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 15:48:55 -0600, AZ Nomad
wrote:

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 16:28:59 -0500, metspitzer wrote:
The sound difference was noticeable on my old set. I now have a new
TV with Stereo sound. The change in volume is much greater. The
difference is head splitting sometimes.

If there is, in fact, a law against the volume level for commercials,
I guess we have one more law on the book that no one enforces.

Believe it or not, the volume on commercials isn't that much louder. The
nasty part is that it is heavily compressed -- the range between the quietest
and loudest volumes is reduced so that it is all at maximum volume.

Best thing you can do is get a DVR and be done with them. Baring that, have
the remote handy and hit the mute for the most ****ing obnoxious
commercials.

And now we have commercials blasting us in 5.1 sound including subwoofer
effects. barf

Remote makers can not make to Mute button too big.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Agreed!!!

Yet I have a friend who wants to hear the commercials! Nice lady but...

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I could understand if they were giving us satellite or cable free. We'd have
to endure their crap to see the shows. But we pay a lot of money to them for
the privilege of being totally annoyed. I just called up Directv and
converted my 100 dollar a month deal with them to basic only. When asked
why, I told them I do not want to pay to be annoyed. They told me a
supervisor would call me. Yeah, like they're gonna do something.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 10:25:50 -0500, "Sanity" wrote:

wrote:
[...]

They might. They will miss your 100 bucks. You may get it at a
reduced cost. I get the feeling they are ready to bend over backwards
to keep your bucks flowing in.

I don't think it will change the volume levels of the show though.

Direct TV seems to have a sweet deal right now. I just got a flyer.
It looks like you can get 6 months of programming at reduced cost. \It
says........over 100 Channels with HD/ If they do kick in the HD for
6 months and then let you cancel instead of having to subscribe for
the next 2 years, I am going to switch. (They are supposed to give me
a call back here in an hour or so. Their switch board was flooded
when I called them)

I got my new HDTV and wanted to see what HD looked like. Charter
doesn't offer many channels, but I can test drive it for a month for
10 bucks and no commitment. The slight difference, and the low number
of channels they show is not worth it to me. I can do without HD. I
would pay if all channels were HD, but it gets to be too many extra
packages you have to subscribe to get all the channels in HD.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Yeah. Then they would allocate $30 million of pork for a study, and another
$30 million for the salaries of some kids of Senators to manage the program
and be the commercial police.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I hit them up twice last month. First I got 6 month free HD programming
and 3 months of the extra 6 channels of HD.
Then I called them and bitched about newbies getting a free HD DVR while I
had to pay 199 for mine. Took a few annoying calls but they gave me an
additional 12 months free HD (now I have 18 months free), Showtime for 6
months and a $50 credit on my bill. You just have to be greedy, persisting
and annoying to them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Actually the flyer I got was from Dish Network.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 12:48:22 -0500, "Sanity" wrote:

.. .

wrote:
[...]

I get high definition with my antenna and it has never billed me. Also
can record/play high-definiton programs with my PC tuner. Get
Showtime DVDs at Netflix, Redbox, or Hollywood video--commercial free.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 4:28�pm, metspitzer wrote:
The sound difference was noticeable on my old set. �I now have a new
TV with Stereo sound. �The change in volume is much greater. �The
difference is head splitting sometimes.

If there is, in fact, a law against the volume level for commercials,
I guess we have one more law on the book that no one enforces.

you can buy a auto commercial volume control that will equalize
things.

cable dish and direct tv just pass the content, they arent allowed by
law to change the volume.

myself? we DVR nearly everything and skip thru most commercials on
dish.
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

wrote:

[...]

I have the same problem. Watching TV with the girlie is frustrating.
I don't even hit the mute, I just stop paying attention to the TV as
soon as the commercials start, then if a funny/interesting/whatever
commercial comes on she'll start talking to me about it. I'll ask her
what she's talking about and she'll say "the commercial on TV!
Weren't you paying attention?" Um, no, I wasn't, it's a COMMERCIAL!
sheesh.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Feb 12, 4:28?pm, metspitzer wrote:
..

..you can buy a auto commercial volume control that will equalize
.things.

cable dish and direct tv just pass the content, they arent allowed by
law to change the volume.

Would you please post a site for that particular law?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 3:28*pm, metspitzer wrote:
The sound difference was noticeable on my old set. *I now have a new
TV with Stereo sound. *The change in volume is much greater. *The
difference is head splitting sometimes.

If there is, in fact, a law against the volume level for commercials,
I guess we have one more law on the book that no one enforces.

Some tvs have compressor- limiters you can turn on, my JVC does, it
helps a bit. There is a max volume advertisers are allowed and they
compress the commercials dynamic range so it is all at the max, its a
basic sound trick in recording. The regulation needs to be re written
as to percieved volume, not what is measured in db. if you use a
stereo on the tv some have their own compression circuit you can turn
on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I am in the middle of a ****ing contest with DIRECTV right now about
this exact problem.

Their stance is they do not manipulate the volume now. If we are able
to manipulate the audio levels in the future, we will provide the
public this information in a press release.

when I got that reply I asked the following question:

I just want to make sure I understand what you are telling me. You
are saying that DIRECTV is only willing to provide minimum service.
Any additional effort or expense to provide average or even
exceptional service is not part of DIRECTV's business plan. Is that
correct?

I am waiting for their answer to that one. It wouldn't hurt for
others to complain.

G.S.

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 17:13:37 -0500, "Sanity" wrote:

If you speak to Directv or the
cable company they will tell you they have no control over this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 14, 1:46�pm, Gordon Shumway wrote:
I am in the middle of a ****ing contest with DIRECTV right now about
this exact problem.

Their stance is they do not manipulate the volume now. �If we are able
to manipulate the audio levels in the future, we will provide the
public this information in a press release.

when I got that reply I asked the following question:

I just want to make sure I understand what you are telling me. �You
are saying that DIRECTV is only willing to provide minimum service.
Any additional effort or expense to provide average or even
exceptional service is not part of DIRECTV's business plan. �Is that
correct?

I am waiting for their answer to that one. �It wouldn't hurt for
others to complain.

G.S.

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 17:13:37 -0500, "Sanity" wrote:
If you speak to Directv �or the
cable company they will tell you they have no control over this.- Hide quoted text -

sorry no cite to the law that prohibits cable and satellte from
chaning the content but its beed discussed publically by charlie ergen
president of dish network and also in a personal conversation with
some dish executives when I attended the echostar 6 satelite launch as
a VIP some years ago

will check on a volume limiter
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Gordon Shumway" wrote in message

I just want to make sure I understand what you are telling me. You
are saying that DIRECTV is only willing to provide minimum service.
Any additional effort or expense to provide average or even
exceptional service is not part of DIRECTV's business plan. Is that
correct?

I am waiting for their answer to that one. It wouldn't hurt for
others to complain.

Won't help either. Some things in life do not, will not, change. It is not
just volume, but the pitch and tone that make it sound loud. That is what
the advertisers do on purpose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gordon Shumway wrote:
[...]

If you go to skyvision.com they have a device that goes on your
cable before it gets to the TV and it is supposed to keep the
volume the same all the time. I don't have one of these but have
read about it in their catalog, but it's been a while.

Skyvision is for big dish and small dish satellite.

Dan Dangerous

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 22:38:27 -0600, Dan Dangerous wrote:
Gordon Shumway wrote:
[...]

It is snake oil. There is no way that it can operate on every channel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 22:38:27 -0600, Dan Dangerous wrote:

If you go to skyvision.com they have a device that goes on your
cable before it gets to the TV and it is supposed to keep the
volume the same all the time. I don't have one of these but have
read about it in their catalog, but it's been a while.

Skyvision is for big dish and small dish satellite.

Oops... I missed that. Do you mean it goes on the audiovideo
line level outputs of the satellite receiver?
Posted to alt.home.repair

AZ Nomad wrote:
On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 22:38:27 -0600, Dan Dangerous wrote:

If you go to skyvision.com they have a device that goes on your
cable before it gets to the TV and it is supposed to keep the
volume the same all the time. I don't have one of these but have
read about it in their catalog, but it's been a while.

Skyvision is for big dish and small dish satellite.

Oops... I missed that. Do you mean it goes on the audiovideo
line level outputs of the satellite receiver?

That's how it reads to me.

Dan dangerous
Posted to alt.home.repair

metspitzer wrote:
The sound difference was noticeable on my old set. I now have a new
TV with Stereo sound. The change in volume is much greater. The
difference is head splitting sometimes.

If there is, in fact, a law against the volume level for commercials,
I guess we have one more law on the book that no one enforces.

In 1992 Magnvox introduced "Smart Sound" an automatic
sound volume control. They still manufacture CRT TV's
with it. I think there may be an updated version for
the flat panel sets.

http://tinyurl.com/btfcpw

There have been some proposals for regulation of loud
commercials.

http://www.out-law.com/page-8114

http://tinyurl.com/cdmkg9

TDD