Posted to alt.home.repair
metspitzer metspitzer is offline

Default OT TV sound volume for commercials

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 10:25:50 -0500, "Sanity" wrote:

"LouB" wrote in message
Phisherman wrote:
On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 15:48:55 -0600, AZ Nomad
wrote:

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 16:28:59 -0500, metspitzer
wrote:
The sound difference was noticeable on my old set. I now have a new
TV with Stereo sound. The change in volume is much greater. The
difference is head splitting sometimes.
If there is, in fact, a law against the volume level for commercials,
I guess we have one more law on the book that no one enforces.
Believe it or not, the volume on commercials isn't that much louder.
The
nasty part is that it is heavily compressed -- the range between the
quietest
and loudest volumes is reduced so that it is all at maximum volume.

Best thing you can do is get a DVR and be done with them. Baring that,
have
the remote handy and hit the mute for the most ****ing obnoxious
commercials.

And now we have commercials blasting us in 5.1 sound including subwoofer
effects. barf

Remote makers can not make to Mute button too big.

Agreed!!!

Yet I have a friend who wants to hear the commercials! Nice lady but...

Lou

I could understand if they were giving us satellite or cable free. We'd have
to endure their crap to see the shows. But we pay a lot of money to them for
the privilege of being totally annoyed. I just called up Directv and
converted my 100 dollar a month deal with them to basic only. When asked
why, I told them I do not want to pay to be annoyed. They told me a
supervisor would call me. Yeah, like they're gonna do something.

They might. They will miss your 100 bucks. You may get it at a
reduced cost. I get the feeling they are ready to bend over backwards
to keep your bucks flowing in.

I don't think it will change the volume levels of the show though.

Direct TV seems to have a sweet deal right now. I just got a flyer.
It looks like you can get 6 months of programming at reduced cost. \It
says........over 100 Channels with HD/ If they do kick in the HD for
6 months and then let you cancel instead of having to subscribe for
the next 2 years, I am going to switch. (They are supposed to give me
a call back here in an hour or so. Their switch board was flooded
when I called them)

I got my new HDTV and wanted to see what HD looked like. Charter
doesn't offer many channels, but I can test drive it for a month for
10 bucks and no commitment. The slight difference, and the low number
of channels they show is not worth it to me. I can do without HD. I
would pay if all channels were HD, but it gets to be too many extra
packages you have to subscribe to get all the channels in HD.