Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_10_] SteveB[_10_] is offline

Default OT TV sound volume for commercials

"Sanity" wrote in message

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 16:28:59 -0500, metspitzer
wrote:
The sound difference was noticeable on my old set. I now have a new
TV with Stereo sound. The change in volume is much greater. The
difference is head splitting sometimes.

If there is, in fact, a law against the volume level for commercials,
I guess we have one more law on the book that no one enforces.

Believe it or not, the volume on commercials isn't that much louder. The
nasty part is that it is heavily compressed -- the range between the
quietest
and loudest volumes is reduced so that it is all at maximum volume.

Best thing you can do is get a DVR and be done with them. Baring that,
have
the remote handy and hit the mute for the most ****ing obnoxious
commercials.

And now we have commercials blasting us in 5.1 sound including subwoofer
effects. barf

Years ago they had a circuit in radios and TVs (AGC or AVC) that sampled
the volume of the incoming signals and levelled them off. I have not seen
one TV mfgr. advertise this in their sets and don't think they include it
anymore. However I have written my members of Congress to have the FCC
either come up with a new regulation or enforce any existing regulations
concerning volume levels between shows and commercials and from volume
differences between different channels. If you speak to Directv or the
cable company they will tell you they have no control over this. All they
control is the constant rise in prices they give their customers. How's
about everyone contacting their Congressmen and getting the ball rolling
to correct this annoying problem.

Yeah. Then they would allocate $30 million of pork for a study, and another
$30 million for the salaries of some kids of Senators to manage the program
and be the commercial police.

Steve