Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ceiling spk mounts-will this work?

Hi all,

I bought a house that is prewired for surround sound in the family room.
Standard electrical boxes all mounted in the ceiling and covered with
plastic blank covers. I was thinking about buying 5 aluminum colored,
metal, blank plates and drilling each one with 3 holes. Two for the speaker
mounts and a small one to pass the wire through. Since my speakers are also
aluminum colored and so are the ceiling mounts, I was thinking this would
give the whole job a nice, neat finished look. The speakers weight less
than 1# and are 7" x 4" and I would think two screws through the plate would
be plenty strong. 2 nuts & bolts on each plate to hold the mount.
The only alternative would be to keep the blank plastic covers, drill a
small hole to pass the speaker wire and then mount the ceiling mount very
close by to all five of them. I think that would look too busy.

Any thoughts?

Posted to alt.home.repair

What you are talking will probably work, but ONLY if it is a metal box. I'd
suggest you try to bolt the speakers to the plates, with lock nuts. Since
the plates are pretty think, a screw won't have much bite. I'd then replace
the regular plate screws with something a bit longer as well. If the box is
plastic (or just a plaster ring and not even a full box) I'd mount the
speakers to the ceiling, preferably into a ceiling joist and run the wire to
the box. You can either drill the hole thru the plate (or buy ones with a
hole already in them) or buy a plate with an RCA jack and then use a short
jumper with an RCA plug from the speaker to the plate. Paint the plate the
color of the ceiling if necessary to make it less noticable.

"Joe J." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe J. wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Ideally ceiling speakers should be recessed into ceiling. If you don't
mind the looks your idea will do but MAKE sure they are very well
secured. I don't know how strong your amp. is it can vibrate the speaker
enclosure causing unpleasant acoustic problem. Only pseaker should
produce sound. Not the enclosure nor mounting plate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 28, 3:48*pm, "Joe J." wrote:
[...]

A point is if its simply out of phase, bass will be nonextant, Yes I
have pro sytems, use your Ear in tests.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 13:48:47 -0800, "Joe J."
wrote:

[...]

It would be much more fun to put the speakers in the kitchen sink
drain. Most kitchen sinks have two compartments, thus two drains.
This is ideal for stereo. Put one speaker in each drain pipe, connect
the left channel to the left speaker and the same with the right.
Enjoy natural stereo sound when the sink is empty, or listen to
underwater sound, (like swimming pools with speakers), while washing
dishes.

Or, get a quad amplifier, and put one speaker for each channel inside
the 4 stove burners. You'll get some really HOT sounds.....

**** off you spamer!

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Jan 28, 3:48 pm, "Joe J." wrote:
[...]

Maintaining phase is simple. Just watch the speaker wires(it is
poloarized by color of wire or strand on the insulation, etc) and
where it goes to which terminal(usually marked with colored dot or size
of terminal spade) on the speaker.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bubba wrote:
On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 18:11:43 -0800 (PST), ransley
wrote:

On Jan 28, 3:48 pm, "Joe J." wrote:
[...]

\
The only thing pro this quack ransley has is a degree in pro
crazyness. Ignore all his ranting.
Bubba

That needledick bug ****er hit my kill files over 9 months ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Jan 28, 3:48 pm, "Joe J." wrote:
[...]

That needledick bug ****er hit my kill files over 9 months ago.- Hide quoted text -

Am I the only one wondering what kind of surround sound system you can
get with ceiling speakers? It's it's 5.1 or 7.1 sound he's talking
about, the speakers are intended to be mounted at head hight when
you're seated. I've seen them from few feet off the floor to maybe 6
ft high in the wall, etc. But can't recall any home theater type set
up with them in the ceiling. Those are usually used for music
throught the house.

If they are going to be ceiling mounted, I'd say it comes down to how
heavy they are. I would not trust a plastic box and cover plate to
hold much.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Jan 28, 3:48 pm, "Joe J." wrote:
[...]

hold much.- Hide quoted text -

Ive never heard a ceiling mounted speaker system that sounded worth a
damn. They all sounded like a PA system playing elevator music. My
experience is that the spatial information that surround sound is
intended to create is lost or distorted. What a waste for a surround
sound system.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Jan 28, 3:48 pm, "Joe J." wrote:
[...]

Just to clear this up...the speakers aren't in the ceiling, the wiring is.
The speakers will be mounted to hang below the ceiling. It is set for a 5.1
system. L&R front and rear and a center. I did mount all of them today
using blank metal plates which I mounted the speaker mounts to. Drilled 3
holes in each plate, two for the mounts and one to bring the wiring through.
Everything seems good and solid. I can't tell you what they sound like
because I have to wall mount my LCD first in order to make room for the
system. The wall mount I purchased doesn't fit my 37" Vizio so I'm waiting
for them to ship me a replacement.
FYI, the house was also prewired for cable/satellite & telco to every room.
Unfortunately, they didn't do any Cat wiring.
Joe