Old December 21st 07, 11:21 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pull Chain for Ceiling Fan Light Doesn't Work

I little prologue: I bought a house with a remote controlled ceiling
fan (with 4 bulb light) in the living room. Problem is the lights
flicker. I think it's the remote control unit, so I took that part
out.

Okay, to the problem: There is a black, blue, white, and green wire
from the fan. I connected the black and blue to the black out of the
ceiling; the white to white; and the green to the ground. Fan comes
on and the chain operates its low-medium-high-off modes. Great! The
lights also come on but......the chain does not turn them off. I
bought a new chain switch and connected the wires coming out of it to
the respective blue and white wire groups for each bulb with the
little screw cap. Then each of those groups has a blue or white wire
that leaves those caps and travels up to connect to the fan part.

So I'm not sure why the fan chain works but not the light chain. Help?

Old December 22nd 07, 12:47 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 15:21:49 -0800 (PST), Ben22 >
wrote:

>I little prologue: I bought a house with a remote controlled ceiling
>fan (with 4 bulb light) in the living room. Problem is the lights
>flicker. I think it's the remote control unit, so I took that part
>out.
>
>Okay, to the problem: There is a black, blue, white, and green wire
>from the fan. I connected the black and blue to the black out of the
>ceiling; the white to white; and the green to the ground. Fan comes
>on and the chain operates its low-medium-high-off modes. Great! The
>lights also come on but......the chain does not turn them off. I
>bought a new chain switch and connected the wires coming out of it to
>the respective blue and white wire groups for each bulb with the
>little screw cap. Then each of those groups has a blue or white wire
>that leaves those caps and travels up to connect to the fan part.
>
>So I'm not sure why the fan chain works but not the light chain. Help?

What happens when you disconnect and cap the blue wire from the
ceiling?
Old December 22nd 07, 01:18 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 21, 5:21*pm, Ben22 > wrote:
> I little prologue: *I bought a house with a remote controlled ceiling
> fan (with 4 bulb light) in the living room. *Problem is the lights
> flicker. *I think it's the remote control unit, so I took that part
> out.
>
> Okay, to the problem: *There is a black, blue, white, and green wire
> from the fan. *I connected the black and blue to the black out of the
> ceiling; the white to white; and the green to the ground. *Fan comes
> on and the chain operates its low-medium-high-off modes. *Great! *The
> lights also come on but......the chain does not turn them off. *I
> bought a new chain switch and connected the wires coming out of it to
> the respective blue and white wire groups for each bulb with the
> little screw cap. *Then each of those groups has a blue or white wire
> that leaves those caps and travels up to connect to the fan part.
>
> So I'm not sure why the fan chain works but not the light chain. *Help?

Time to call an electrician. Sounds like you've tied the switch
directly across 120 v. The new switch is probably toast.

Old December 22nd 07, 02:15 AM posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

You have two separate pull chain switches. The switch for the light should
be connected between the blue wire and whatever colored wire(s) that goes to
the light sockets. The white wire does not connect to the switch, but
splices directly to the white wires that go to the light sockets

Old December 22nd 07, 03:26 AM posted to alt.home.repair

In article
hvacrmedic > wrote:

> Time to call an electrician. Sounds like you've tied the switch
> directly across 120 v. The new switch is probably toast.

Huh?

Old December 22nd 07, 03:30 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 21, 6:47 pm, Oren > wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 15:21:49 -0800 (PST), Ben22 >
> wrote:
>

> >I little prologue: I bought a house with a remote controlled ceiling
> >fan (with 4 bulb light) in the living room. Problem is the lights
> >flicker. I think it's the remote control unit, so I took that part
> >out.

> >Okay, to the problem: There is a black, blue, white, and green wire
> >from the fan. I connected the black and blue to the black out of the
> >ceiling; the white to white; and the green to the ground. Fan comes
> >on and the chain operates its low-medium-high-off modes. Great! The
> >lights also come on but......the chain does not turn them off. I
> >bought a new chain switch and connected the wires coming out of it to
> >the respective blue and white wire groups for each bulb with the
> >little screw cap. Then each of those groups has a blue or white wire
> >that leaves those caps and travels up to connect to the fan part.

> >So I'm not sure why the fan chain works but not the light chain. Help?

> What happens when you disconnect and cap the blue wire from the
> ceiling?

No lights at all.
Old December 22nd 07, 03:30 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 21, 8:15 pm, "RBM" <rbm2(remove > wrote:
> You have two separate pull chain switches. The switch for the light should
> be connected between the blue wire and whatever colored wire(s) that goes to
> the light sockets. The white wire does not connect to the switch, but
> splices directly to the white wires that go to the light sockets
>
> "Ben22" > wrote in message

> >I little prologue: I bought a house with a remote controlled ceiling
> > fan (with 4 bulb light) in the living room. Problem is the lights
> > flicker. I think it's the remote control unit, so I took that part
> > out.

> > Okay, to the problem: There is a black, blue, white, and green wire
> > from the fan. I connected the black and blue to the black out of the
> > ceiling; the white to white; and the green to the ground. Fan comes
> > on and the chain operates its low-medium-high-off modes. Great! The
> > lights also come on but......the chain does not turn them off. I
> > bought a new chain switch and connected the wires coming out of it to
> > the respective blue and white wire groups for each bulb with the
> > little screw cap. Then each of those groups has a blue or white wire
> > that leaves those caps and travels up to connect to the fan part.

> > So I'm not sure why the fan chain works but not the light chain. Help?

The above poster is probably right in that I friend the switch. I
will try again with this connection. Reading it, it makes sense
actually.
Old December 22nd 07, 03:53 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 19:30:04 -0800 (PST), Ben22 >
wrote:

>On Dec 21, 6:47 pm, Oren > wrote:
>> On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 15:21:49 -0800 (PST), Ben22 >
>> wrote:
>>

>> >I little prologue: I bought a house with a remote controlled ceiling
>> >fan (with 4 bulb light) in the living room. Problem is the lights
>> >flicker. I think it's the remote control unit, so I took that part
>> >out.

>> >Okay, to the problem: There is a black, blue, white, and green wire
>> >from the fan. I connected the black and blue to the black out of the
>> >ceiling; the white to white; and the green to the ground. Fan comes
>> >on and the chain operates its low-medium-high-off modes. Great! The
>> >lights also come on but......the chain does not turn them off. I
>> >bought a new chain switch and connected the wires coming out of it to
>> >the respective blue and white wire groups for each bulb with the
>> >little screw cap. Then each of those groups has a blue or white wire
>> >that leaves those caps and travels up to connect to the fan part.

>> >So I'm not sure why the fan chain works but not the light chain. Help?

>> What happens when you disconnect and cap the blue wire from the
>> ceiling?

>No lights at all.

Like you say; this, is a light problem )

How many wires in the ceiling box?

Instructions from some fans may say blue or red wire.

Switched!!?
Old December 22nd 07, 04:17 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 19:30:59 -0800 (PST), Ben22 >
wrote:

>On Dec 21, 8:15 pm, "RBM" <rbm2(remove > wrote:
>> You have two separate pull chain switches. The switch for the light should
>> be connected between the blue wire and whatever colored wire(s) that goes to
>> the light sockets. The white wire does not connect to the switch, but
>> splices directly to the white wires that go to the light sockets
>>
>> "Ben22" > wrote in message

>> >I little prologue: I bought a house with a remote controlled ceiling
>> > fan (with 4 bulb light) in the living room. Problem is the lights
>> > flicker. I think it's the remote control unit, so I took that part
>> > out.

>> > Okay, to the problem: There is a black, blue, white, and green wire
>> > from the fan. I connected the black and blue to the black out of the
>> > ceiling; the white to white; and the green to the ground. Fan comes
>> > on and the chain operates its low-medium-high-off modes. Great! The
>> > lights also come on but......the chain does not turn them off. I
>> > bought a new chain switch and connected the wires coming out of it to
>> > the respective blue and white wire groups for each bulb with the
>> > little screw cap. Then each of those groups has a blue or white wire
>> > that leaves those caps and travels up to connect to the fan part.

>> > So I'm not sure why the fan chain works but not the light chain. Help?

>The above poster is probably right in that I friend the switch. I
>will try again with this connection. Reading it, it makes sense
>actually.

If you had fried the switch you wouldn't be saying probably.
Old December 22nd 07, 05:53 AM posted to alt.home.repair

In article >,
Terry > wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 19:30:59 -0800 (PST), Ben22 >
> wrote:
>
> >On Dec 21, 8:15 pm, "RBM" <rbm2(remove > wrote:
> >> You have two separate pull chain switches. The switch for the light should
> >> be connected between the blue wire and whatever colored wire(s) that goes
> >> the light sockets. The white wire does not connect to the switch, but
> >> splices directly to the white wires that go to the light sockets

> >The above poster is probably right in that I friend the switch. I
> >will try again with this connection. Reading it, it makes sense
> >actually.

> If you had fried the switch you wouldn't be saying probably.

How the hell do you fry a switch with electricity? That's what switches
are for, for god's sake.