Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe J. Joe J. is offline

Default Ceiling spk mounts-will this work?

"JIMMIE" wrote in message
On Jan 29, 8:24 am, wrote:
On Jan 29, 8:56 am, Steve Barker TB
wrote:

Bubba wrote:
On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 18:11:43 -0800 (PST), ransley
wrote:

On Jan 28, 3:48 pm, "Joe J." wrote:
Hi all,

I bought a house that is prewired for surround sound in the family
room.
Standard electrical boxes all mounted in the ceiling and covered
with
plastic blank covers. I was thinking about buying 5 aluminum
colored,
metal, blank plates and drilling each one with 3 holes. Two for the
speaker
mounts and a small one to pass the wire through. Since my speakers
are also
aluminum colored and so are the ceiling mounts, I was thinking this
would
give the whole job a nice, neat finished look. The speakers weight
less
than 1# and are 7" x 4" and I would think two screws through the
plate would
be plenty strong. 2 nuts & bolts on each plate to hold the mount.
The only alternative would be to keep the blank plastic covers,
drill a
small hole to pass the speaker wire and then mount the ceiling mount
very
close by to all five of them. I think that would look too busy.

Any thoughts?
A point is if its simply out of phase, bass will be nonextant, Yes I
have pro sytems, use your Ear in tests.
\
The only thing pro this quack ransley has is a degree in pro
crazyness. Ignore all his ranting.
Bubba

That needledick bug ****er hit my kill files over 9 months ago.- Hide
quoted text -

Am I the only one wondering what kind of surround sound system you can
get with ceiling speakers? It's it's 5.1 or 7.1 sound he's talking
about, the speakers are intended to be mounted at head hight when
you're seated. I've seen them from few feet off the floor to maybe 6
ft high in the wall, etc. But can't recall any home theater type set
up with them in the ceiling. Those are usually used for music
throught the house.

If they are going to be ceiling mounted, I'd say it comes down to how
heavy they are. I would not trust a plastic box and cover plate to
hold much.- Hide quoted text -

Ive never heard a ceiling mounted speaker system that sounded worth a
damn. They all sounded like a PA system playing elevator music. My
experience is that the spatial information that surround sound is
intended to create is lost or distorted. What a waste for a surround
sound system.

Jimmie

Just to clear this up...the speakers aren't in the ceiling, the wiring is.
The speakers will be mounted to hang below the ceiling. It is set for a 5.1
system. L&R front and rear and a center. I did mount all of them today
using blank metal plates which I mounted the speaker mounts to. Drilled 3
holes in each plate, two for the mounts and one to bring the wiring through.
Everything seems good and solid. I can't tell you what they sound like
because I have to wall mount my LCD first in order to make room for the
system. The wall mount I purchased doesn't fit my 37" Vizio so I'm waiting
for them to ship me a replacement.
FYI, the house was also prewired for cable/satellite & telco to every room.
Unfortunately, they didn't do any Cat wiring.
Joe