Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Ceiling spk mounts-will this work?

ransley wrote:
On Jan 28, 3:48 pm, "Joe J." wrote:
Hi all,

I bought a house that is prewired for surround sound in the family room.
Standard electrical boxes all mounted in the ceiling and covered with
plastic blank covers. I was thinking about buying 5 aluminum colored,
metal, blank plates and drilling each one with 3 holes. Two for the speaker
mounts and a small one to pass the wire through. Since my speakers are also
aluminum colored and so are the ceiling mounts, I was thinking this would
give the whole job a nice, neat finished look. The speakers weight less
than 1# and are 7" x 4" and I would think two screws through the plate would
be plenty strong. 2 nuts & bolts on each plate to hold the mount.
The only alternative would be to keep the blank plastic covers, drill a
small hole to pass the speaker wire and then mount the ceiling mount very
close by to all five of them. I think that would look too busy.

Any thoughts?

A point is if its simply out of phase, bass will be nonextant, Yes I
have pro sytems, use your Ear in tests.

Hi,
Maintaining phase is simple. Just watch the speaker wires(it is
poloarized by color of wire or strand on the insulation, etc) and
where it goes to which terminal(usually marked with colored dot or size
of terminal spade) on the speaker.