Posted to alt.home.repair

Default bad plumbing in the valley

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009...kitec-lawsuit/

Posted to alt.home.repair

"nefletch" wrote in message
scommunications...
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009...kitec-lawsuit/

Ouch!

I know most this group doesn't like link drops but this is worth the read.

Just goes to show you should always wait for the third rollout of a new
product before you buy.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

"nefletch" wrote in message
scommunications...
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009...kitec-lawsuit/

Wow, that sucks. I wonder how many other houses around the country are
like that.

Quote from the article:

That's because when Kitec brand manufacturer IPEX released the system in
1995, plumbers hailed the plastic tubes as a significant upgrade to copper
because they were more flexible and durable, said George Anderson, owner of
the plumbing company MasterServ of Nevada.

The polyethylene pipes contained a thin layer of aluminum that held its
shape as plumbers twisted and bent it. Plastic pipes without the aluminum
require more anchoring because they spring back to a straight line.

The pipes aren't failing though. It's the brass fittings that connect the
pipes to copper fixtures on valves, water heaters and softeners.

The problem is a chemical reaction known as dezincification, which
accelerates corrosion in brass fittings when they are exposed to oxygen and
moisture. Brass is an alloy primarily composed of copper and zinc. When
dezincification occurs, zinc leaches out of the fittings, leaving a blockage
of zinc oxide that leads to leaks, restricted water flow and breaks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"nefletch" wrote in message
scommunications...
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009...s-involved-kit
ec-lawsuit/

[...]

Oh, terrific. Is this a condemnation of all PEX plumbing? Is PEX the
same as IPEX?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
Oh, terrific. Is this a condemnation of all PEX plumbing? Is PEX the
same as IPEX?

No, PEX is fine. It is just a certain connector that was used by one brand.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
Oh, terrific. Is this a condemnation of all PEX plumbing? Is PEX the
same as IPEX?

No, PEX is fine. It is just a certain connector that was used by one brand.

So how can I identify the bad stuff? The house we just bought has some
sort of plastic plumbing but it was an REO so no way to find out from
the previous owner what they used.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"nefletch" wrote in message
[...]

Offhand, I would think it is a galvanic corrosion problem due to the
dissimilar metals, brass and aluminum. I would imagine PEX without the
aluminum lining is fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:

Oh, terrific. Is this a condemnation of all PEX plumbing? Is PEX the
same as IPEX?

No. If you read carefully, you'll note that they state it's one manufacturer you
lined the PEX with aluminum. This allowed plumbers to route the pipe without the
clips you normally use with standard PEX.

Plumbing Code - Can I tie my bathroom exaust fan into the main plumbing vent to the outside. johnnymo Home Repair 29 December 9th 18 02:08 AM
Lee valley Lowell Holmes Woodworking 15 September 5th 08 05:12 PM
Lee Valley Phil Hansen Woodworking 18 September 6th 06 06:51 PM
Lee Valley Joe Woodworking 26 April 12th 06 04:50 AM
Lee Valley does it again! James \Cubby\ Culbertson Woodworking 26 December 10th 04 03:20 AM