Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Trying to tunnel a 2" PVC pipe underground - hit a road block

I am thinking of adding a sink to the kitchen island - I don't have to do
it, I have a kitchen sink by the wall, but thought I would add a sink if it
can be done relatively easy when everything is gutted in the kitchen.

I have already cut a 9' long 4" wide trench for the electrical conduit that
will run below grade to the nearby wall. I have hot and cold water supply
on that wall that I could easily run to the island. All I am lacking is a
drain line.

The nearest drain line is now exposed in a bathroom behind that wall. Not
directly behind, because there is a hallway in between. The main drain is
there, slab is already cut open, I can tie in there and no need to cut any
more slab.

So I tried to use the water jet approach, down here in Miami the soil is
very sandy. I got a 2" PVC pipe and hooked up a garden hose and glued that
to it's tail, glued a cap on the front and drilled a few small holes. turned
on the water and the pipe went in slowly. The bathroom tremch gets flooded
easily from the jetting water so I waited for it to drain and tried again.
However about 8' in I am stuck and it won't go further. It seems to have
hit something. I don't know if it may be a grade beam, some large rocks or
something else. I have no idea.

I then cut the pipe and ease out the 2" PVC pipe, and inserted just a 1/2"
metal EMT pipe into the cavity. 8' in the same result, but I have no idea
what that is. I think if I know what it is, I have a fighting chance to
solve the problem. If it's a grade beam I will just give up. If it's
something else I might try to pass the PVC pipe using a different angle to
avoid that obstruction.

I know plumbers have this mini camera lens they attach to the tip of a
flexible hose they pass down pipe to see what is going on, I called a
plumbing locator service company and they quoted me $1000 for a camera
location and told me more than likely it will not work because I don't have
a pipe to feed the camera.

Can you think of a economical way to determine what is the obstruction?
It's only 8' from the trench and I have a straight shot.

Thanks in advance,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
[...]

My, you are determined. g

Look on eBay for IR cameras.
Like: Item # 320302138280
Less than 2" diameter and has
LED illumination built in.
And waterproof. Use it for security
outdoors after the tunnel is finished...

Hundreds more, that's just an example.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
[...]

You might have some luck if you take a hole saw and epoxy it to a length of
pipe. You can then chuck the pipe into a drill and see if you can cut
through the obstruction. Even if the saw doesn't cut, you should get an
idea of what is blocking the way.

--
Roger Shoaf

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2009-01-20, MiamiCuse wrote:

I know plumbers have this mini camera lens they attach to the tip of a
flexible hose they pass down pipe to see what is going on, I called a
plumbing locator service company and they quoted me $1000 for a camera
location and told me more than likely it will not work because I don't have
a pipe to feed the camera.

Try a few more places. Here in the Bay Area they are common enough
that you can get your sewer lateral scoped for $50-$75. As for the
lack of a pipe, you can just reinsert your 2" pipe to carry the scope.
You could also try to find a rental place that carries the scope.

Cheers, Wayne

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On 2009-01-20, MiamiCuse wrote:

I know plumbers have this mini camera lens they attach to the tip of a
flexible hose they pass down pipe to see what is going on, I called a
plumbing locator service company and they quoted me $1000 for a camera
location and told me more than likely it will not work because I don't have
a pipe to feed the camera.

Try a few more places. *Here in the Bay Area they are common enough
that you can get your sewer lateral scoped for $50-$75. *As for the
lack of a pipe, you can just reinsert your 2" pipe to carry the scope.
You could also try to find a rental place that carries the scope.

Cheers, Wayne

Ridgid sells a scope for about $250, a friend has one and was just
speaking very highly of it.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Jan 20, 3:22*am, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
[...]

Think about it and you might not need a camera. You have a poured
slab so you know that it is generally compacted stone unless someone
PUT something else there. So figure out what someone would put
there. You can be pretty sure it isn't a small Buick or anything like
that.

You said there's a hallway between you and the drain. Often there's a
slump in the concrete there to support the additional weight. That
could stick down 6 or 8 inches.

Otherwise, it's a pipe or something -- anyway it's something that you
can't move.

Your only choices will be to drill through concrete or go under
plumbing. You might have to go deeper.

Pat.
Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 03:22:02 -0500, MiamiCuse wrote:

[...]

Let it dry out and use a shop vac to tunnel. I have put plastic conduit
under a driveway in Pinellas County this way. Put in fence posts also. Use
a tarp to empty shop vac on. Use short strokes with shop vac to keep from
clogging.

Posted to alt.home.repair

However about 8' in I am stuck and it won't go further. It seems to have
hit something. I don't know if it may be a grade beam, some large rocks
or something else. I have no idea.

When you measure 8' do you end up under a wall? I would probably open up
the floor and deal with whatever.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
[...]

I don't want to cut through whatever in case it may be something like a 4"
PVC drain line.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pat" wrote in message
[...]

I cannot go deeper because the main sewer elevation passing through the spot
I am tunneling governs the minimum elevation on the downstream side of this
pipe. The only vairable I can play with is to not shoot in that angle and
hope that another angle will avoid that obstruction.

I do not believe there are any drain lines in that area, I have located all
the drain lines and they do not go near that area. The only pipe that may
be there is two 1/2" copper lines that do go underground, but as to where
they travel I have no clue I only know the manifold on both ends of them.
However if what I hit are copper lines, then inserting a much thinner 1/2"
EMT pipe should have avoided the pipes as I tried to finess it through.

If it is indeed a hunch in the concrete then I am out of luck. My only hope
is that it is some sort of debris or rock and if I adjust my angle by 15
degrees I will go pass it.

I sort of have a feeling I would run into this before I started.

Drill a hole in concrete block wall for a 1/2" PVC pipe MiamiCuse Home Repair 7 November 15th 08 02:48 PM
What's the best way to punch a 2" hole for a drain pipe through a cinder block wall? Robert Green Home Repair 36 June 14th 08 06:44 PM
Underground gas pipe Smarty Home Repair 7 November 2nd 06 04:58 PM
underground gas pipe tonyb UK diy 4 November 4th 05 07:21 PM
Need help with underground pipe leak. Noel Home Repair 1 January 9th 05 03:57 PM