Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Trying to tunnel a 2" PVC pipe underground - hit a road block

I am thinking of adding a sink to the kitchen island - I don't have to do
it, I have a kitchen sink by the wall, but thought I would add a sink if it
can be done relatively easy when everything is gutted in the kitchen.

I have already cut a 9' long 4" wide trench for the electrical conduit that
will run below grade to the nearby wall. I have hot and cold water supply
on that wall that I could easily run to the island. All I am lacking is a
drain line.

The nearest drain line is now exposed in a bathroom behind that wall. Not
directly behind, because there is a hallway in between. The main drain is
there, slab is already cut open, I can tie in there and no need to cut any
more slab.

So I tried to use the water jet approach, down here in Miami the soil is
very sandy. I got a 2" PVC pipe and hooked up a garden hose and glued that
to it's tail, glued a cap on the front and drilled a few small holes. turned
on the water and the pipe went in slowly. The bathroom tremch gets flooded
easily from the jetting water so I waited for it to drain and tried again.
However about 8' in I am stuck and it won't go further. It seems to have
hit something. I don't know if it may be a grade beam, some large rocks or
something else. I have no idea.

I then cut the pipe and ease out the 2" PVC pipe, and inserted just a 1/2"
metal EMT pipe into the cavity. 8' in the same result, but I have no idea
what that is. I think if I know what it is, I have a fighting chance to
solve the problem. If it's a grade beam I will just give up. If it's
something else I might try to pass the PVC pipe using a different angle to
avoid that obstruction.

I know plumbers have this mini camera lens they attach to the tip of a
flexible hose they pass down pipe to see what is going on, I called a
plumbing locator service company and they quoted me $1000 for a camera
location and told me more than likely it will not work because I don't have
a pipe to feed the camera.

Can you think of a economical way to determine what is the obstruction?
It's only 8' from the trench and I have a straight shot.

Thanks in advance,

MC

Drill a hole in concrete block wall for a 1/2" PVC pipe MiamiCuse Home Repair 7 November 15th 08 02:48 PM
What's the best way to punch a 2" hole for a drain pipe through a cinder block wall? Robert Green Home Repair 36 June 14th 08 06:44 PM
Underground gas pipe Smarty Home Repair 7 November 2nd 06 04:58 PM
underground gas pipe tonyb UK diy 4 November 4th 05 07:21 PM
Need help with underground pipe leak. Noel Home Repair 1 January 9th 05 03:57 PM