Junior Member

Default underground gas pipe

where can I buy some yellow flexible plastic sleeving 60mm dia to run from my house to the road, so the gas board can run a new pipe through to the house? Am in the surrey area.
Rick

In my area they will not allow you to use conduit/sleeving as any gas
leak could end up with explosive gas/air mix in the pipe.
They prefer it direct buried in the soil.

When I did my gas supply ... I dug the trenches (huge saving on cost)
paid for new install, and then they dropped off a length of gas pipe on
site for me.
I put in same trench along with water & leccy (at appropraite depths)
and left it sticking up in the air at meter end. Taped ends to keep
clean .. actually temp buried road end so it didn't get damaged.
Some months later I called the gas board up and they came and conencted
supply ... interesting that they just purged gas to the air (quite a
lot of it) while having a ciggarette ! ... I did ask but told it's too
low a concentration to ignite.
They then fitted a gas cock but no seal ... just a simple screw on cap.

I had no meter at that point .... now I could have been naughty, got
hold of a meter and made my own connection and had free gas for a few
years ! I asked my CORGI man and he said there is loads of that going
on as there is no one company involved anymore.
One company digs the road for connection - another makes connection and
fits stop cock, a separte company supplies the meter.
Must be costing them a fortune !

Rick

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
In my area they will not allow you to use conduit/sleeving as any gas
leak could end up with explosive gas/air mix in the pipe.
They prefer it direct buried in the soil.........

as there is no one company involved anymore.
One company digs the road for connection - another makes connection and
fits stop cock, a separte company supplies the meter.
Must be costing them a fortune !

Rick
thanks for the tip about no sleeving , I will check (again)if it is needed. much easier if it isn't.
your right about several companies doing the work these days!
I was told to do one thing by one lot and when the second lot came around to do the work, they told me they could not fit a new meter because it had to be done differently to the way I had been told!
Rick

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 12:05:44 +0000, tonyb
wrote:

where can I buy some yellow flexible plastic sleeving 60mm dia to run
from my house to the road, so the gas board can run a new pipe through
to the house? Am in the surrey area.

Builderes merchant, they will proabaly need to order it. PollyPipe
make it. You will get the yeall gas pipe, they actually put the gas
inside.

I guess you should check if the gas board will put their pipe inside
your pipe, of if you are simple better to install a bit of their pipe.

Rick

Junior Member

thanks Rick,
I had already tried all the builders merchants within30 mile radius and no one stocked the stuff.
my Gas board will not allow you to install your own pipe but they will put pipe into an open trench, if you need to back fill then you have to put sleeving in .
thanks anyway as I have now found some.