Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Slight OT...Any Fiberglass Wizards Here...?

Howdy,

I am nearing the finishing stage of a fiberglass case I
built to hold an electric fiddle.

The final finish will be a coat or two of a single component
opaque urethane.

I'm in the process of smoothing the surface with a (peanut
butter consistency) mixture of epoxy with low density
fairing compound, and the resulting surface is very smooth.

Which brings me to my next step:

For the best final finish, should I do a coat of gelcoat
before painting? Or is there a better approach.

Thanks for any tips,
--
Kenneth

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kenneth wrote:
Howdy,

I am nearing the finishing stage of a fiberglass case I
built to hold an electric fiddle.

The final finish will be a coat or two of a single component
opaque urethane.

I'm in the process of smoothing the surface with a (peanut
butter consistency) mixture of epoxy with low density
fairing compound, and the resulting surface is very smooth.

Which brings me to my next step:

For the best final finish, should I do a coat of gelcoat
before painting? Or is there a better approach.

Thanks for any tips,

Might want to post this in one of the autos groups, sounds a lot like
painting a Corvette or Avanti.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 11:08:30 -0500, Nate Nagel
wrote:

:Kenneth wrote:
: Howdy,
:
[...]

Boating newsgroups too. Fiberglass work is a very essential part of boat
manufacturing and maintenance. I got some terrific help there when I
repaired a table in my yard, glassing the whole top.

Dan
Posted to alt.home.repair

Boating newsgroups too. Fiberglass work is a very essential part of boat
manufacturing and maintenance. I got some terrific help there when I
repaired a table in my yard, glassing the whole top.

I second the boating group recommendation.

If you call the guys at Gougeon Bro's/West Systems, they're incredibly
helpul.

-Zz
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 11:53:41 -0800, Zz Yzx
wrote:

Boating newsgroups too. Fiberglass work is a very essential part of boat
manufacturing and maintenance. I got some terrific help there when I
repaired a table in my yard, glassing the whole top.

I second the boating group recommendation.

If you call the guys at Gougeon Bro's/West Systems, they're incredibly
helpul.

-Zz

Howdy,

Of course, I'd welcome any advice I get here, but the
boating group suggestion has already paid off.

Many thanks,
--
Kenneth

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
:
:Boating newsgroups too. Fiberglass work is a very essential part of boat
:manufacturing and maintenance. I got some terrific help there when I
:repaired a table in my yard, glassing the whole top.
:
:I second the boating group recommendation.
:
:If you call the guys at Gougeon Bro's/West Systems, they're incredibly
:helpul.
:
:-Zz
:
:Howdy,
:
:Of course, I'd welcome any advice I get here, but the
:boating group suggestion has already paid off.
:
:Many thanks,

Oh, and you can also undoubtely get great fiberglass help in surfing
newsgroups and forums. FG is fundamental in repairing and manufacturing
surfboards.

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
:
[...]

Hi Dan,

I'm well along on the project with the help of the
rec.boating folks but yours is a great suggestion, and I
would not have thought of it.

Many thanks,
--
Kenneth