Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] man@privacy.net[_2_] is offline

Default Slight OT...Any Fiberglass Wizards Here...?

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 11:08:30 -0500, Nate Nagel
wrote:

:Kenneth wrote:
: Howdy,
:
: I am nearing the finishing stage of a fiberglass case I
: built to hold an electric fiddle.
:
: The final finish will be a coat or two of a single component
: opaque urethane.
:
: I'm in the process of smoothing the surface with a (peanut
: butter consistency) mixture of epoxy with low density
: fairing compound, and the resulting surface is very smooth.
:
: Which brings me to my next step:
:
: For the best final finish, should I do a coat of gelcoat
: before painting? Or is there a better approach.
:
: Thanks for any tips,
:
:Might want to post this in one of the autos groups, sounds a lot like
ainting a Corvette or Avanti.
:
:nate

Boating newsgroups too. Fiberglass work is a very essential part of boat
manufacturing and maintenance. I got some terrific help there when I
repaired a table in my yard, glassing the whole top.

Dan