Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kenmore dryer - wire keeps burning up

I have an old Kenmore dryer. Lately, one of the wires that connects to the
high temperature sensor on the side of the heating coils has been burning up
at the point of contact (the wire burns, but the connector stays OK). The
happened once a couple years ago and I replaced the sensor and the heating
element. Now it's happening again, every few days (I'll admit it - I just
reconnect the wire each time for now). I tested the sensor, and it seems to
be working OK (frying pan test for conductivity). Any suggestions about
fixing this more permanently?

Thanks,

Bruce Kimball

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Jan 15, 3:10*pm, "beekay" wrote:
I have an old Kenmore dryer. Lately, one of the wires that connects to the
high temperature sensor on the side of the heating coils has been burning up
at the point of contact (the wire burns, but the connector stays OK). The
happened once a couple years ago and I replaced the sensor and the heating
element. Now it's happening again, every few days (I'll admit it - I just
reconnect the wire each time for now). I tested the sensor, and it seems to
be working OK (frying pan test for conductivity). Any suggestions about
fixing this more permanently?

Indicates the connection is high resistance -- clean/replace and make
sure crimp(s) are also clean and tight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

replace the sensor and the wires and crimp terminals to that sensor,

The machines I service for a living use heating elements and draw
high current.

once a wire or connector looks toasted it needs REPLACED
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Jan 15, 3:50*pm, dpb wrote:
On Jan 15, 3:10*pm, "beekay" wrote:

I have an old Kenmore dryer. Lately, one of the wires that connects to the
high temperature sensor on the side of the heating coils has been burning up
at the point of contact (the wire burns, but the connector stays OK). The
happened once a couple years ago and I replaced the sensor and the heating
element. Now it's happening again, every few days (I'll admit it - I just
reconnect the wire each time for now). I tested the sensor, and it seems to
be working OK (frying pan test for conductivity). Any suggestions about
fixing this more permanently?

Indicates the connection is high resistance -- clean/replace and make
sure crimp(s) are also clean and tight.

OBTW, be sure any replacement wire is high-temperature rated appliance
wire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"beekay" wrote in message
netamerica...
I have an old Kenmore dryer. Lately, one of the wires that connects to the
high temperature sensor on the side of the heating coils has been burning
up at the point of contact (the wire burns, but the connector stays OK).
The happened once a couple years ago and I replaced the sensor and the
heating element. Now it's happening again, every few days (I'll admit it -
I just reconnect the wire each time for now). I tested the sensor, and it
seems to be working OK (frying pan test for conductivity). Any suggestions
about fixing this more permanently?

Thanks,

Bruce Kimball

When wire overheats, the metal becomes annealed and looses it's conductive
properties. To prevent it from repeating, cut the wire back to a point of
clean metal, then reconnect it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Everybody, thanks! Looks like I need to do a better job repairing/replacing
the wire.

"beekay" wrote in message
netamerica...
I have an old Kenmore dryer. Lately, one of the wires that connects to the
high temperature sensor on the side of the heating coils has been burning
up at the point of contact (the wire burns, but the connector stays OK).
The happened once a couple years ago and I replaced the sensor and the
heating element. Now it's happening again, every few days (I'll admit it -
I just reconnect the wire each time for now). I tested the sensor, and it
seems to be working OK (frying pan test for conductivity). Any suggestions
about fixing this more permanently?

Thanks,

Bruce Kimball

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Jan 15, 4:39*pm, "RBM" wrote:
When wire overheats, the metal becomes annealed and looses it's conductive
properties. To prevent it from repeating, cut the wire back to a point of
clean metal, then reconnect it.

I wouldn't expect any significant annealing to occur until
temperatures are 400-500 K (800 F or so), which wouldn't expect to
have been reached although suppose it might be possible.

There is about a 1-2%/ deg-C decrease in conductivity w/ temperature,
while the wire is heated, but that is reversible.

I'd expect it the problem more likely to be surface oxidation or loose
connections rather than actual metallurgical effects.

Never hurts to replace, however...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message
On Jan 15, 4:39 pm, "RBM" wrote:
When wire overheats, the metal becomes annealed and looses it's conductive
properties. To prevent it from repeating, cut the wire back to a point of
clean metal, then reconnect it.

I wouldn't expect any significant annealing to occur until
temperatures are 400-500 K (800 F or so), which wouldn't expect to
have been reached although suppose it might be possible.

There is about a 1-2%/ deg-C decrease in conductivity w/ temperature,
while the wire is heated, but that is reversible.

I'd expect it the problem more likely to be surface oxidation or loose
connections rather than actual metallurgical effects.

Never hurts to replace, however...

--
From my experience working on commercial cooking equipment, poor connections
cause the overheating and annealing

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Jan 15, 9:21*pm, "RBM" wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message

I wouldn't expect any significant annealing to occur until
temperatures are 400-500 K (800 F or so), which wouldn't expect to
have been reached although suppose it might be possible.

There is about a 1-2%/ deg-C decrease in conductivity w/ temperature,
while the wire is heated, but that is reversible.

I'd expect it the problem more likely to be surface oxidation or loose
connections rather than actual metallurgical effects.

Never hurts to replace, however...

--
From my experience working on commercial cooking equipment, poor connections
cause the overheating and annealing

I don't disagree at all about the poor connections; but I tend to
think annealing isn't likely that much of an issue owing to the
temperatures required.

I came back to correct my earlier posting in that 400-500K is actually
1200-1400F (knew that didn't seem right; dawned on me I only converted
from C not K). I would think if these temperatures were reached the
results would be fires not just overheating a connection.

Wire Burning Tom Dougall Woodturning 18 June 16th 07 03:35 AM
3-wire to 4-wire conversion for range and dryer outlets Percival P. Cassidy Home Repair 21 June 7th 07 01:00 PM
Electric Oven Wire keeps burning out! cfidad Home Repair 6 May 17th 06 12:11 AM
dryer burning clothes Melissa Home Repair 8 December 21st 04 02:56 AM
Dryer burning up? maxinemovies Home Repair 2 October 29th 04 10:35 PM