Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Kenmore dryer - wire keeps burning up

On Jan 15, 9:21*pm, "RBM" wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message

I wouldn't expect any significant annealing to occur until
temperatures are 400-500 K (800 F or so), which wouldn't expect to
have been reached although suppose it might be possible.

There is about a 1-2%/ deg-C decrease in conductivity w/ temperature,
while the wire is heated, but that is reversible.

I'd expect it the problem more likely to be surface oxidation or loose
connections rather than actual metallurgical effects.

Never hurts to replace, however...

--
From my experience working on commercial cooking equipment, poor connections
cause the overheating and annealing

I don't disagree at all about the poor connections; but I tend to
think annealing isn't likely that much of an issue owing to the
temperatures required.

I came back to correct my earlier posting in that 400-500K is actually
1200-1400F (knew that didn't seem right; dawned on me I only converted
from C not K). I would think if these temperatures were reached the
results would be fires not just overheating a connection.