Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default Kenmore dryer - wire keeps burning up

"dpb" wrote in message
On Jan 15, 4:39 pm, "RBM" wrote:
When wire overheats, the metal becomes annealed and looses it's conductive
properties. To prevent it from repeating, cut the wire back to a point of
clean metal, then reconnect it.

I wouldn't expect any significant annealing to occur until
temperatures are 400-500 K (800 F or so), which wouldn't expect to
have been reached although suppose it might be possible.

There is about a 1-2%/ deg-C decrease in conductivity w/ temperature,
while the wire is heated, but that is reversible.

I'd expect it the problem more likely to be surface oxidation or loose
connections rather than actual metallurgical effects.

Never hurts to replace, however...

--
From my experience working on commercial cooking equipment, poor connections
cause the overheating and annealing