Posted to alt.home.repair
cfidad

Default Electric Oven Wire keeps burning out!

The yellow wire to the bottom heating element of my Maytag PER4310BAQ
keeps burning out. The oven stops heating up and I find the last
inch of wire charred black where it connects to the heating element.
I have replaced the heating element once with a factory replacement,
but the problem continues. I am concerned that just cutting the wire
and crimping it once again to the heating element connector will
eventually cause an unsafe condition with the exposed wire touching
other parts. My intention is to find the cause for the repeated
burning out of the same wire. Does anyone out there have the
expertise to tell me what to fix to prevent this problem from
continuing?

Thank you in advance for your input.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

I don't know this oven, but when you first replaced the element, what was
the condition of the terminal on the wire? If it had been overheated and
annealed, the same problem would have occurred

"cfidad" wrote in message
. ..
The yellow wire to the bottom heating element of my Maytag PER4310BAQ
keeps burning out. The oven stops heating up and I find the last
inch of wire charred black where it connects to the heating element.
I have replaced the heating element once with a factory replacement,
but the problem continues. I am concerned that just cutting the wire
and crimping it once again to the heating element connector will
eventually cause an unsafe condition with the exposed wire touching
other parts. My intention is to find the cause for the repeated
burning out of the same wire. Does anyone out there have the
expertise to tell me what to fix to prevent this problem from
continuing?

Thank you in advance for your input.

Posted to alt.home.repair
David Martel

Any appliance repair store will sell you the wire and connectors that
are appropriate for high temperature. Replace the wire if you are concerned.
The connectors hanging in your hardware store probably are not for hi temp
use and will cause the problem you describe.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis

According to cfidad :
The yellow wire to the bottom heating element of my Maytag PER4310BAQ
keeps burning out. The oven stops heating up and I find the last
inch of wire charred black where it connects to the heating element.
I have replaced the heating element once with a factory replacement,
but the problem continues. I am concerned that just cutting the wire
and crimping it once again to the heating element connector will
eventually cause an unsafe condition with the exposed wire touching
other parts. My intention is to find the cause for the repeated
burning out of the same wire. Does anyone out there have the
expertise to tell me what to fix to prevent this problem from
continuing?

It'll either be poor crimping technique or the wrong type of
crimp. Or both.

Heating/cooling/oxidation cycles will be hell on connections
if they're not done just perfectly. Secondly, using automotive
connectors with a heating element is bound to not work for
very long.

Probably the simplest/cheapest thing to do would be to take the
wire into to a proper appliance repair outlet and get a new wire
made up.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

cfidad wrote:

The yellow wire to the bottom heating element of my Maytag PER4310BAQ
keeps burning out. The oven stops heating up and I find the last
inch of wire charred black where it connects to the heating element.
I have replaced the heating element once with a factory replacement,
but the problem continues. I am concerned that just cutting the wire
and crimping it once again to the heating element connector will
eventually cause an unsafe condition with the exposed wire touching
other parts. My intention is to find the cause for the repeated
burning out of the same wire. Does anyone out there have the
expertise to tell me what to fix to prevent this problem from
continuing?

Thank you in advance for your input.

Hmmm,
Poor connection resulting in excess heat is the reason.
Posted to alt.home.repair
bob kater

its the connection, replace the wire and connector. I learned this 25 years
ago before the internet was so popular
. ..