Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electricity problem

Hi, I have a question about a problem I have encountered. All the
receptacles in 2 of my upper bedrooms stopped working, after I checked the
breaker had tripped in the main fuse box. It worked a few times after I
turned the fuse back on but now tonight I cannot get the fuse to work (keeps
tripping). When I checked my ensuite the Ground Fault Protector (maybe
called something else) is not working, when I press "test" the "reset"
button does not come out so that I can in fact reset it. Would this cause
all the outlets on that circuit not to work or just the outlet by the sink?
If it is all of the outlets is this Ground Fault Protector easy to change?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 10, 8:52�pm, "Realist" wrote:
Hi, I have a question about a problem I have encountered. All the
receptacles in 2 of my upper bedrooms stopped working, after I checked the
breaker had tripped in the main fuse box. It worked a few times after I
turned the fuse back on but now tonight I cannot get the fuse to work (keeps
tripping). When I checked my ensuite the Ground Fault Protector (maybe
called something else) is not working, when I press "test" the "reset"
button does not come out so that I can in fact reset it. Would this cause
all the outlets on that circuit not to work or just the outlet by the sink?
If it is all of the outlets is this Ground Fault Protector easy to change?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

If the GFI is on the dead circuit the one with the tripped breaker you
will NOT be able to reset it.

Go around check EVERY OUTLET in your home and unplug everything thats
plugged into a dead outlet, then try restetting breaker

something plugged in like a lamp is likely shorted
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Realist" wrote in message
Hi, I have a question about a problem I have encountered. All the
receptacles in 2 of my upper bedrooms stopped working, after I checked the
breaker had tripped in the main fuse box. It worked a few times after I
turned the fuse back on but now tonight I cannot get the fuse to work
(keeps tripping). When I checked my ensuite the Ground Fault Protector
(maybe called something else) is not working, when I press "test" the
"reset" button does not come out so that I can in fact reset it. Would
this cause all the outlets on that circuit not to work or just the outlet
by the sink? If it is all of the outlets is this Ground Fault Protector
easy to change?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

It sounds like two separate issues. If a circuit breaker trips when you
reset it, there is a short circuit on that line. It could be in the wiring
or it could be something plugged into an outlet on the circuit. I would
first try turning off any lights on that circuit, and unplugging anything in
the outlets, then try resetting the breaker. The GFCI breaker must be pushed
to the full off position before trying to reset it. If it trips when reset,
there is either a ground fault or short circuit on that line. If it just
won't switch on , it may be a defective breaker

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you!!!

This all happened after I moved my TV from one outlet to another, I mounted
it on my wall. Before the move I had 2 satellite receivers, 1 DVD player a
security system, a Laptop as well as the TV into one outlet, this one is
empty now. Nothing new has been added, the only change is that the TV has
been moved and it is going into an outlet that we have not used before and
we use a small extension cord to connect it. The breaker worked for about 10
minutes later tonight and I tried the GFI test, it did not work while the
power was going to the outlets.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 22:48:43 -0500, "RBM" wrote:

"Realist" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

You didn't put a screw into a wire when you mounted the TV on the
wall, did you?
That would cause the problem you are having and would explain why it
is happening NOW, and not before moving the TV

Posted to alt.home.repair

I can't say for sure if that happened or not. I thought about that. There as
an outlet below the mounted TV and three feet to the left so I assumed the
wiring would have been along that height. The outlets worked for a day or so
after the first trip, would they work if I in fact screwed into a wire?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Forgot to mention that the mount is 5 inches from the ceiling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Realist wrote:
Forgot to mention that the mount is 5 inches from the ceiling.

Andy comments:

Usually the wiring is run thru the attic to the room, where it
goes DOWN the side of a stud. Then, it is often carried to the
other room outlets at the outlet height, around 15 inches or so from
the floor. Windows and doors mean going back up a stud....

So, you "might" have hit the wire rwhere it runs up or down a
stud.
Statistically, it is very rare,.... but it is possible.

Good luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Realist" wrote in message
I can't say for sure if that happened or not. I thought about that. There
as an outlet below the mounted TV and three feet to the left so I assumed
the wiring would have been along that height. The outlets worked for a day
or so after the first trip, would they work if I in fact screwed into a
wire?
That depends upon what you hit inside the cable. You may have just grazed
two of the conductors, so it could trip intermittently

Posted to alt.home.repair

I unplugged everything from all outlets on this circuit and turned the
breaker on this morning. It has been 2 1/2 hours now and it has not tripped.
Would it trip anyway if I were screwed into a wire? We'll see, if it happens
again I'll call an electrician.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

I just went into the attic and had a look, there are no wires going into the
ceiling on that stud, but that GFI in the washroom still does not work. The
outlet in that same washroom worked while the breaker was off though, must
be on another breaker.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 9:01�am, "Realist" wrote:
I unplugged everything from all outlets on this circuit and turned the
breaker on this morning. It has been 2 1/2 hours now and it has not tripped.
Would it trip anyway if I were screwed into a wire? We'll see, if it happens
again I'll call an electrician.

Thanks

take each item you unplugged and plug into a different circuit.

sounds like you ran your new mount into a wire in wall.

bad things happen
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Realist" wrote in message
I unplugged everything from all outlets on this circuit and turned the
breaker on this morning. It has been 2 1/2 hours now and it has not
tripped. Would it trip anyway if I were screwed into a wire? We'll see, if
it happens again I'll call an electrician.

Thanks

If the breaker trips with things plugged in, and doesn't trip with things
NOT plugged in, the problem is obviously with one of the things you had
plugged in and not the wiring or the TV mount.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 11:51�am, "RBM" wrote:
"Realist" wrote in message

I unplugged everything from all outlets on this circuit and turned the
breaker on this morning. It has been 2 1/2 hours now and it has not
tripped. Would it trip anyway if I were screwed into a wire? We'll see, if
it happens again I'll call an electrician.

Thanks

If the breaker trips with things plugged in, and doesn't trip with things
NOT plugged in, the problem is obviously with one of the things you had
plugged in and not the wiring or the TV mount.

PROBABLY! A low level short might only trip when any other load is
added.

I would feel the wall where the new mount is screwed in for warmth.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 08:02:07 -0330, "Realist"
wrote:

I can't say for sure if that happened or not. I thought about that. There as
an outlet below the mounted TV and three feet to the left so I assumed the
wiring would have been along that height. The outlets worked for a day or so
after the first trip, would they work if I in fact screwed into a wire?

They could. Depends on how badly you nipped the wire. I'd back out the
screws and see what happens (one at a time) and if one is causing the
problem I'd open the wall and repair it. The patch will be behind the
TV so if it doesn't match 100% it will be fine untill the room needs
repainting again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 07:27:29 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Jan 11, 9:01?am, "Realist" wrote:
I unplugged everything from all outlets on this circuit and turned the
breaker on this morning. It has been 2 1/2 hours now and it has not tripped.
Would it trip anyway if I were screwed into a wire? We'll see, if it happens
again I'll call an electrician.

Thanks

take each item you unplugged and plug into a different circuit.

sounds like you ran your new mount into a wire in wall.

bad things happen

Plug in the TV first and see what happens. The TV is grounded (in all
likelihood) so if you nipped the wire plugging in the TV COULD trip
either the GFI or the breaker.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I cut a hole in the wall to see if I in fact hit a wire when mounting the TV
and I didn't hit one. Now I am really stumped. On a bright note now I will
put an outlet where I cut the hole. LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Realist" wrote:

I cut a hole in the wall to see if I in fact hit a wire when mounting the TV
and I didn't hit one. Now I am really stumped. On a bright note now I will
put an outlet where I cut the hole. LOL

What the hell are you stumped about? It's been 'splained to you in
simple terms: something that you did have plugged into one of the
outlets on the circuit has a short, or is drawing excess current for
some reason. It would take you two minutes to isolate the faulty device.