Posted to alt.home.repair

Default electricity problem

Last night our power upstairs started blinking, then went off for a few
seconds, then went off entirely. My husband has done what he can in the
fuse box but says it doesn't appear to be a fuse. Does anyone have any
suggestions or ideas of what might be wrong?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

You need to determine how many lights and outlets are out, and in what
rooms. The purpose is to figure if this is an open to part of a circuit or
is it a partial power failure coming into the building. If it only involves
a few lights and outlets, yet all the circuit breakers are on and
functioning,(needs to be determined by opening the panel and checking each
breaker with a tester) It is probably a loose connection in an outlet, or at
a junction box. Sometimes you can find the location of this type of loose
connection by banging on each dead outlet, and each live outlet in the
vicinity of the dead outlets. When you bang on an outlet, if the lights
flicker, it may be the location of the loose connection

"bubblegummom" wrote in message
ups.com...
Last night our power upstairs started blinking, then went off for a few
seconds, then went off entirely. My husband has done what he can in the
fuse box but says it doesn't appear to be a fuse. Does anyone have any
suggestions or ideas of what might be wrong?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Flickering lights can be caused by a loose wire. If you had a loose
wire in the fuse (breaker?) panel or a junction box, it may have
finally have worked itself completely open.

(I'll use "fuse" because you did - simply exchange it for breaker if
that's what you really have)

You said your husband "has done what he can" in the fuse box. If
checking the fuses is all he is confident in doing, then it might be
time to call an electrician or a knowledgeable friend.

On the other hand, if he wants to keep looking, he could trying
removing the main fuse (or shutting off the main breaker) and removing
the front panel. If he can find the wires that go to the 2nd floor, he
should start at the panel and check for any loose wires - both hot and
neutral.

If all seems well in the panel, he could start tracing the wires and
checking the connections in any junction boxes along the run. Keep in
mind that any of the outlet and/or switch boxes could be considered a
"junction box" in this exercise.

Once again, if your husband is not confident in digging deeper, please
err on the side of caution and call someone who is. Tell him to hang
around, ask questions and use it as learning opportunity.

Good luck!

bubblegummom wrote:
Last night our power upstairs started blinking, then went off for a few
seconds, then went off entirely. My husband has done what he can in the
fuse box but says it doesn't appear to be a fuse. Does anyone have any
suggestions or ideas of what might be wrong?

Posted to alt.home.repair

bubblegummom wrote:
Last night our power upstairs started blinking, then went off for a
few seconds, then went off entirely. My husband has done what he can
in the fuse box but says it doesn't appear to be a fuse. Does anyone
have any suggestions or ideas of what might be wrong?

I check with your neighbors and see if they have any problems. It could
be a problem with the power company.

How much of your home is without power? If a small part (5-20%) I would
guess it is a loose connection somewhere. Finding it and fixing it is not
impossible for the do it yourselfer, but I suspect from your question that
it may be a little dangerous for you to try. You need to find (we can't
help a lot here) where the problem is and then make sure the power is off
(no always simple) and then fix it (not always safe.)

Good Luck

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bubblegummom" wrote in message
ups.com...
Last night our power upstairs started blinking, then went off for a few
seconds, then went off entirely. My husband has done what he can in the
fuse box but says it doesn't appear to be a fuse. Does anyone have any
suggestions or ideas of what might be wrong?

Could be a loose connection in the power panel. Shut off the main
breaker/disconnect and make sure all of the screws are tight. If it is a
fuse panel (it is old, if it is) remove all of the fuses and inspect them,
clean if necessary (or replace) and screw them in firmly.

Second source of this kind of problem is a junction box loose connection.
If the junction is in a box that you have access to, bang it firmly with a
heavy but soft tool (like a rubber hammer) to determine if you can stimulate
the blinking. If yes, then take it apart (after shutting that circuit off)
and redo/clean/tighten the connections.

There is a safety issue here, so if you (or hubby) are not basically
competent, don't mess with this on your own.

Posted to alt.home.repair

One thing I think is a good idea is to make a list of every outlet and
every light in your house and what breaker they're on. After 25 years
of owning the house I'm in, I just barely got around to doing that a
few months ago (when I bought a generator). Now if I ever have those
kind of problems, it will be easier to track down.

RBM (remove this) wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23 Dec 2006 12:16:52 -0800, "bubblegummom"
wrote:

Last night our power upstairs started blinking, then went off for a few
seconds, then went off entirely. My husband has done what he can in the
fuse box but says it doesn't appear to be a fuse. Does anyone have any
suggestions or ideas of what might be wrong?

Not liking the symptoms you explained. Presence of a fused box, makes
wonder more. If you found the fuses ok in the service box, then get
yourself a qualified electrician. Many times it takes years for
faults to cause damage, you might have a broken splice, etc.

keep us up to date with your status,

tom @ www.FreeWorkAtHomeIdeas.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph Meehan wrote:
bubblegummom wrote:
Last night our power upstairs started blinking, then went off for a
few seconds, then went off entirely. My husband has done what he can
in the fuse box but says it doesn't appear to be a fuse. Does anyone
have any suggestions or ideas of what might be wrong?

I check with your neighbors and see if they have any problems. It could
be a problem with the power company.

How much of your home is without power? If a small part (5-20%) I would
guess it is a loose connection somewhere.

If it's 50%, they could have lost a phase.

Red

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM,

My husband says he doesn't think we have a partial power failure coming
into the house because our hot water heater is working well.

We don't have circuit breakers, but fuses. It seems they are all
working....and we don't seem to have any junction boxes.

Thank you for suggesting banging on the outlets. We tried it but
couldn't get any flickering.

My husband says he thinks the problem is in the fuse box, which for
some reason is on our back porch, but he can't figure out what is wrong
or what is what.

The fuse box is a mess. If getting this fixed costs a lot of money, we
can't do it, and I hate having these extension cords run up the
stairway. This is miserable, thinking of having to live like this for
an extended period of time!

Thank you for your suggestions!

Loretta

RBM (remove this) wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

We don't have a list, but I think these are basically the same things
that go out when one particular fuse blows, but the fuse isn't blown.
But I'm not positive, I'd have to ask my husband, who is sleeping right
now.

Thank you!

RBM (remove this) wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03,

My husband thinks it is something in the fuse box, but can't see what.
I guess he doesn't know how to figure what goes where and has no
schematic for the box. It is an old box and really a mess.

My husband does know quite a bit about electrical things, though not an
expert, but he has been ill and can't handle things the way he used to.

We're afraid this is a huge expensive job, which we just can't have
done.

I'll read him your e-mail again tomorrow and see if he feels he can do
more, but these days everything just seems to be overwhelming to him.

Thank you so much for your suggestions!

Loretta

bubblegummom wrote:
Last night our power upstairs started blinking, then went off for a few
seconds, then went off entirely. My husband has done what he can in the
fuse box but says it doesn't appear to be a fuse. Does anyone have any
suggestions or ideas of what might be wrong?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mr. Meehan,

The dining room and the upstairs is off. It looks like we are going to
have to learn to live this way.

Thank you for your advice!

Loretta

Joseph Meehan wrote:
bubblegummom wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mr. Schuler,

I guess we don't have junction boxes. Tried banging on all of the
outlets but nothing flickered.

Yes, it is a fuse panel, and it is old. My husband seems sure that all
the fuses are working and he thinks something else in the panel is
probably wrong.

Thank you for taking the time to help.

Loretta

Charles Schuler wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dear Tom the Great,

Why is it you're not liking the symptoms? Frankly, we don't like them
either.

What is a broken splice?

Unfortunately qualified electricians cost great big bucks.

Thank you for your input!

Loretta

wrote:

Last night our power upstairs started blinking, then went off for a few
seconds, then went off entirely. My husband has done what he can in the
fuse box but says it doesn't appear to be a fuse. Does anyone have any
suggestions or ideas of what might be wrong?

Not liking the symptoms you explained. Presence of a fused box, makes
wonder more. If you found the fuses ok in the service box, then get
yourself a qualified electrician. Many times it takes years for
faults to cause damage, you might have a broken splice, etc.

keep us up to date with your status,

tom @ www.FreeWorkAtHomeIdeas.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

there might be several reason to this, it could be
1. loose connection
2. damaged insulation
3. voltage drop
4. over-consumption (too many apparatus running)
5. a defective apparatus on the electric line

system21 u568567

Check out his game
bra href=http://gc.gamestotal.com/Galactic Conquest/a

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

There are two types of plug fuses used in houses, one has a metal screw on
it just like a light bulb, the other type, which is called fusestat or "S"
type fuse, has a ceramic screw and is thinner than the other type. This type
of fuse screws into an adapter, which in turn screws into the fuse socket on
the panel. These fuses need to be very tight in order to make contact, so if
this is what you have, have bubblegumdad try a little more elbow grease

ps.com...

RBM (remove this) wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:

have bubblegumdad try a little more elbow grease

....and a NEW fuse, regardless of the APPEARANCE of the old one.
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com,
"bubblegummom" wrote:

Unfortunately qualified electricians cost great big bucks.

Funerals cost even more.

If you are truly broke, contact your local United Way or similar agency and
explain your plight. Like lawyers, there ARE electricians that do "pro bono"
work. Heck, I can even "see" a handful doing ahem community service - and
helping in your situation would certainly qualify.

Go to the local farm store and ask if they know of anyone that might be able
to help. Many churches have electricians in their congregation.

The help you need IS out there, and may not cost nearly as much as you fear.

This is a LOUSY time of year to be without power or with crippled power,
especially with health ailments.

Offer a nice, hot meal and I'm sure someone can help for little or nothing.
Good luck and may God bless you.
--

JR

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Excellent point. Unless your are testing the "load" terminal off of the fuse
with an electrical tester, don't trust a visual inspection to determine if a
fuse is good

"Jim Redelfs" wrote in message
In article ,
"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:

have bubblegumdad try a little more elbow grease

...and a NEW fuse, regardless of the APPEARANCE of the old one.
--

JR

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 07:36:00 -0500, "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:

There are two types of plug fuses used in houses, one has a metal screw on
it just like a light bulb, the other type, which is called fusestat or "S"
type fuse, has a ceramic screw and is thinner than the other type. This type
of fuse screws into an adapter, which in turn screws into the fuse socket on
the panel. These fuses need to be very tight in order to make contact, so if
this is what you have, have bubblegumdad try a little more elbow grease

I know someone with a fuse box. It has 3 30A fuses with Edison base
(like a light bulb) and 3 20A fuses of the other kind (I think they're
called 'restriction base'). The 20A fuses use that kind of base to
keep you from screwing the wrong kind in.

RBM (remove this) wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Yep, that's a fusestat, you screw a fusestat base into the socket, 15 or 20
amp, then only that size fuse will fit. The base is permanent, although
there is a too to remove them. Problem with fusestats is they have to be
tightened beyond what you would normally expect, or they don't make contact

wrote:

There are two types of plug fuses used in houses, one has a metal screw on
it just like a light bulb, the other type, which is called fusestat or "S"
type fuse, has a ceramic screw and is thinner than the other type. This
type
of fuse screws into an adapter, which in turn screws into the fuse socket
on
the panel. These fuses need to be very tight in order to make contact, so
if
this is what you have, have bubblegumdad try a little more elbow grease

I know someone with a fuse box. It has 3 30A fuses with Edison base
(like a light bulb) and 3 20A fuses of the other kind (I think they're
called 'restriction base'). The 20A fuses use that kind of base to
keep you from screwing the wrong kind in.

oups.com...

RBM (remove this) wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

bubblegummom wrote:
Red,

What does that mean, "lost a phase?"

When the power comes into your home, you get three wires plus a ground
wire.

Those three are two hots and a neutral.

Half your 120V outlets are on one of the hots and the others are on the
other. All the 240V devices work from both hots and do not need a neutral.
(Some uses need both 120V and 240V so they get four wires (two hots a
neutral and a ground). The two hots are call legs or phases.

That is why it is likely that if half your devices are out, that it
would likely be one phase out. That could be in your home or a problem with
the supply. If only a smaller percentage like 10-20% are out, then it is
likely a problem with your homes wiring.

Loretta

wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
bubblegummom wrote:
Last night our power upstairs started blinking, then went off for a
few seconds, then went off entirely. My husband has done what he
can in the fuse box but says it doesn't appear to be a fuse. Does
anyone have any suggestions or ideas of what might be wrong?

I check with your neighbors and see if they have any problems.
It could be a problem with the power company.

How much of your home is without power? If a small part
(5-20%) I would guess it is a loose connection somewhere.

If it's 50%, they could have lost a phase.

Red

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

bubblegummom wrote:
Mr. Meehan,

The dining room and the upstairs is off. It looks like we are going to
have to learn to live this way.

That certainly sounds like a single line is out. I am going to suggest
professional help. There are just too many possibilities to try and
instruct anyone without good knowledge of the subject to start with, to
safely take on the project. However it is usually a very quick and easy
project for the professional. I do recommend you have it checked as opposed
to ignoring it. It is a possible safety hazard if left alone, although most
of the time it would be safe.

Thank you for your advice!

Loretta

Joseph Meehan wrote:
bubblegummom wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

bubblegummom wrote:
Last night our power upstairs started blinking, then went off for a few
seconds, then went off entirely. My husband has done what he can in the
fuse box but says it doesn't appear to be a fuse. Does anyone have any
suggestions or ideas of what might be wrong?

If you are by any chance a dependent of a serving member of the Armed
forces of the United States contact your nearest Home Depot, Veterans of
the Foreign Wars (VFW), or American Legion Post. If you also live
within two hundred miles of Washington, DC then reply back to me with
the only words in the title being "service support."
--
Tom Horne

Well we aren't no thin blue heroes and yet we aren't no blackguards to.
We're just working men and woman most remarkable like you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23 Dec 2006 19:27:42 -0800, wrote:

One thing I think is a good idea is to make a list of every outlet and
every light in your house and what breaker they're on. After 25 years
of owning the house I'm in, I just barely got around to doing that a
few months ago (when I bought a generator). Now if I ever have those
kind of problems, it will be easier to track down.

Hear, hear!

It took me nearly that long ownership to label every breaker in the f
box, but now it's a lot easier to figure out what blew. Also to warn
visitors not to plug a space heater, hair dryer, etc. into the same
circuit as computer and room lights.

RBM (remove this) wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

In two posts you've mentioned the fuse box is a "mess". What exactly do you mean (rusty,
falling apart, front panel removed and wires sticking out, etc)?