Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default electricity problem

bubblegummom wrote:
Red,

What does that mean, "lost a phase?"

When the power comes into your home, you get three wires plus a ground
wire.

Those three are two hots and a neutral.

Half your 120V outlets are on one of the hots and the others are on the
other. All the 240V devices work from both hots and do not need a neutral.
(Some uses need both 120V and 240V so they get four wires (two hots a
neutral and a ground). The two hots are call legs or phases.

That is why it is likely that if half your devices are out, that it
would likely be one phase out. That could be in your home or a problem with
the supply. If only a smaller percentage like 10-20% are out, then it is
likely a problem with your homes wiring.

Loretta

wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
bubblegummom wrote:
Last night our power upstairs started blinking, then went off for a
few seconds, then went off entirely. My husband has done what he
can in the fuse box but says it doesn't appear to be a fuse. Does
anyone have any suggestions or ideas of what might be wrong?

I check with your neighbors and see if they have any problems.
It could be a problem with the power company.

How much of your home is without power? If a small part
(5-20%) I would guess it is a loose connection somewhere.

If it's 50%, they could have lost a phase.

Red

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit