Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default Electricity problem

"Realist" wrote in message
Hi, I have a question about a problem I have encountered. All the
receptacles in 2 of my upper bedrooms stopped working, after I checked the
breaker had tripped in the main fuse box. It worked a few times after I
turned the fuse back on but now tonight I cannot get the fuse to work
(keeps tripping). When I checked my ensuite the Ground Fault Protector
(maybe called something else) is not working, when I press "test" the
"reset" button does not come out so that I can in fact reset it. Would
this cause all the outlets on that circuit not to work or just the outlet
by the sink? If it is all of the outlets is this Ground Fault Protector
easy to change?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

It sounds like two separate issues. If a circuit breaker trips when you
reset it, there is a short circuit on that line. It could be in the wiring
or it could be something plugged into an outlet on the circuit. I would
first try turning off any lights on that circuit, and unplugging anything in
the outlets, then try resetting the breaker. The GFCI breaker must be pushed
to the full off position before trying to reset it. If it trips when reset,
there is either a ground fault or short circuit on that line. If it just
won't switch on , it may be a defective breaker