Posted to alt.home.repair

Default old wood glue

I had a plastic bottle of yellow wood glue that had sat at room
temperature 25 years. When I needed it, the level had gone down and it
was too thick and stringy to stick properly. Over a period of days, I
added water and stirred with a screwdriver.

It worked for the job I was doing. The other day I read that wood glue
goes bad after a few months. Is my old wood glue defective?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"E Z Peaces" wrote in message
I had a plastic bottle of yellow wood glue that had sat at room temperature 25
years. When I needed it, the level had gone down and it was too thick and
stringy to stick properly. Over a period of days, I added water and stirred
with a screwdriver.

It worked for the job I was doing. The other day I read that wood glue goes
bad after a few months. Is my old wood glue defective?

I just finished a gallon bottle I bought 15 or so years ago. It worked fine to
the end.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"E Z Peaces" wrote in message
I had a plastic bottle of yellow wood glue that had sat at room temperature
25 years. When I needed it, the level had gone down and it was too thick
and stringy to stick properly. Over a period of days, I added water and
stirred with a screwdriver.

It worked for the job I was doing. The other day I read that wood glue
goes bad after a few months. Is my old wood glue defective?

Most PVA glues have a shelf life of one to two years. It may break the bond
under stress over time; or it may not. For about $3, you can have peace of
mind. I'd not use it for anything I cared about.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"E Z Peaces" wrote in message
I had a plastic bottle of yellow wood glue that had sat at room temperature
25 years. When I needed it, the level had gone down and it was too thick
and stringy to stick properly. Over a period of days, I added water and
stirred with a screwdriver.

It worked for the job I was doing. The other day I read that wood glue
goes bad after a few months. Is my old wood glue defective?

Most PVA glues have a shelf life of one to two years. It may break the bond
under stress over time; or it may not. For about $3, you can have peace of
mind. I'd not use it for anything I cared about.

Problem is the plastic bottle. Over time, water will permeate out and
glue will dry out. I've recovered old glues by rehydrating but since
these glues are emulsions, they do not completely recover. Like you
advise, I'd only use for trivial things.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 16, 6:52*pm, E Z Peaces wrote:
I had a plastic bottle of yellow wood glue that had sat at room
temperature 25 years. *When I needed it, the level had gone down and it
was too thick and stringy to stick properly. *Over a period of days, I
added water and stirred with a screwdriver.

It worked for the job I was doing. *The other day I read that wood glue
goes bad after a few months. *Is my old wood glue defective?

Old Elmers Exterior glue, Ive used old elmers White and Yellow by
adding water, when Elmers wont take water its bad.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"E Z Peaces" wrote in message
I had a plastic bottle of yellow wood glue that had sat at room
temperature 25 years. When I needed it, the level had gone down and
it was too thick and stringy to stick properly. Over a period of
days, I added water and stirred with a screwdriver.

It worked for the job I was doing. The other day I read that wood
glue goes bad after a few months. Is my old wood glue defective?

Most PVA glues have a shelf life of one to two years. It may break
the bond under stress over time; or it may not. For about $3, you can
have peace of mind. I'd not use it for anything I cared about.

Problem is the plastic bottle. Over time, water will permeate out and
glue will dry out. I've recovered old glues by rehydrating but since
these glues are emulsions, they do not completely recover. Like you
advise, I'd only use for trivial things.

You've made me curious. Dow doesn't specify shelf life for polyvinyl
acetate but says it's shipped with a chemical to inhibit polymerization,
and it should be kept out of sunlight and below 86F to avoid it.

Dow says polymerization can burst containers. A page on wood adhesives
says PVA glues should not be used on joints with a lot of shear because
in time the glue allows creeping. It doesn't say the bond gets weaker.

The Elmer's page says the glue hardens by drying and the shelf life of
classroom glues is two years. A difference between a solution and an
emulsion is that you must apply energy to make an emulsion. If you can
mix in enough water to make the glue thin enough to adhere, why
shouldn't it be as good as new?

I remember reconstituting PVA glues three times. The first two times
were to replace foam surrounds on loudspeakers, using glue left over
from working on other speakers a couple of years earlier. It was a
critical application. I used reconstituted glue for eight surrounds.
As far as I could tell, it worked like new glue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"E Z Peaces" wrote in message news:gph2l.9254
I remember reconstituting PVA glues three times. The first two times were to
replace foam surrounds on loudspeakers, using glue left over from working on
other speakers a couple of years earlier. It was a critical application. I
used reconstituted glue for eight surrounds. As far as I could tell, it worked
like new glue.

I need to that soon myself (replace surrounds). Any opinions on surround
suppliers? Prices seem to vary from $1 to $20 per surround. I am wondering about
the quality from various vendors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 17, 7:38*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
"E Z Peaces" wrote in message news:gph2l.9254

I remember reconstituting PVA glues three times. *The first two times were to
replace foam surrounds on loudspeakers, using glue left over from working on
other speakers a couple of years earlier. *It was a critical application. *I
used reconstituted glue for eight surrounds. As far as I could tell, it worked
like new glue.

I need to that soon myself (replace surrounds). Any opinions on surround
suppliers? Prices seem to vary from $1 to $20 per surround. I am wondering about
the quality from various vendors.

Foam just oxidises in 10-20 years, rubber lasts maybe 40 years, so far
for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
"E Z Peaces" wrote in message news:gph2l.9254
I remember reconstituting PVA glues three times. The first two times were to
replace foam surrounds on loudspeakers, using glue left over from working on
other speakers a couple of years earlier. It was a critical application. I
used reconstituted glue for eight surrounds. As far as I could tell, it worked
like new glue.

I need to that soon myself (replace surrounds). Any opinions on surround
suppliers? Prices seem to vary from $1 to $20 per surround. I am wondering about
the quality from various vendors.

I got my last ones from matelectronics.com. It seemed risky because
they weren't completely described. I bought four sizes and they all
worked. I'd call it better foam than the ones I bought before for ten
or twenty times the price, but I'm not qualified to judge foam.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 19:52:48 -0500, E Z Peaces
wrote:

I had a plastic bottle of yellow wood glue that had sat at room
temperature 25 years. When I needed it, the level had gone down and it
was too thick and stringy to stick properly. Over a period of days, I
added water and stirred with a screwdriver.

It worked for the job I was doing. The other day I read that wood glue
goes bad after a few months. Is my old wood glue defective?

Yellow carpenters wood glue has a shelf life. Buy no more than can be
used within a year or two. Throw out your old glue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 16, 7:52*pm, E Z Peaces wrote:
I had a plastic bottle of yellow wood glue that had sat at room
temperature 25 years. *When I needed it, the level had gone down and it
was too thick and stringy to stick properly. *Over a period of days, I
added water and stirred with a screwdriver.

It worked for the job I was doing. *The other day I read that wood glue
goes bad after a few months. *Is my old wood glue defective?

I was doing a project and grabbed for my bottle of glue and it had
thickened up quite a bit even though the top was on.Wife says its at
least 5 years old. I added a little water and warmed it in the
microwave for a few seconds. Worked fine, I still bought a new bottle
of glue.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to E Z Peaces, Anna216 wrote:
I had an old Gorilla Glue sitting in my closet for the last 2.5 years. First
used it to glue a wooden chair, but since this doesn't last forever, the time
has come to reapply. The glue was thick & unmanageable, even after popping
out the tip with an ice pick. So I placed the bottle under running hot water,
and after that used an old nail file to spoon the glue out and into the chair.
Worked like a magic.

When this glue is gone, will make sure not to buy an 8oz size when half that
will do, and get a bottle of a different shape, easier to squeeze.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ue-348577-.htm