Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Glue on wood during glue-up!!!

I'm beginning glue-up of some bookshelves prior to finishing. I am
concerned that I will get wood glue on portions of the wood that should
show, and that they will therefore not take stain.

What precautions can I take against having this happen? What can I do
when it does happen? Obviously, I'll be ready with a rag to wipe off
any glue that does drip onto my surfaces, what else can be done? If I
don't notice a drip right away, is there anything to be done besides
sanding it off? And does that even work, or will the glue have seeped
into the wood too far? (By the way, I'm using red oak here.)

Thanks,

Scott

Posted to rec.woodworking
FriscoSoxFan

Definitely use the blue tape as mentioned....

However, a couple of weeks ago I tried the new Elmer's stainable wood
glue. According to the package, it uses sawdust or real wood as one of
the ingredients to help absorb stain. I was building a whole bunch of
"pot drawers" to go inside our kitchen base cabinets. Since these would
not be visible and be filled with pots, I wasn't too concerned with
100% perfect finishing, so I skipped the tape and just sponged off
excess with a damp rag during glue-up. The stain finish came out
amazingly better than when I used to use just yellow glue. This was on
red oak ply.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Okay.... Why use aniline dye? Why not just touch the areas around the
joint with the stain I'm planning on using anyway? Does the aniline
give some advantage here?