Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Default Glue on wood during glue-up!!!

wrote:
I'm beginning glue-up of some bookshelves prior to finishing. I am
concerned that I will get wood glue on portions of the wood that should
show, and that they will therefore not take stain.

What precautions can I take against having this happen? What can I do
when it does happen? Obviously, I'll be ready with a rag to wipe off
any glue that does drip onto my surfaces, what else can be done? If I
don't notice a drip right away, is there anything to be done besides
sanding it off? And does that even work, or will the glue have seeped
into the wood too far? (By the way, I'm using red oak here.)

Thanks,

Scott

put blue tape next to all joints and be sure to securely press the edge
of the tape down, adjacent to the glued joint. That beats starving the
joint for glue because one is afraid of having too much squeeze out.
wiping down excess glue with a wet rag doesn't work all that well.
you'll still get glue in the pores, interfering with finishing.

Dave