DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Glue on wood during glue-up!!! (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/140591-glue-wood-during-glue-up.html)

[email protected] January 17th 06 02:54 AM

Glue on wood during glue-up!!!

I'm beginning glue-up of some bookshelves prior to finishing. I am
concerned that I will get wood glue on portions of the wood that should
show, and that they will therefore not take stain.

What precautions can I take against having this happen? What can I do
when it does happen? Obviously, I'll be ready with a rag to wipe off
any glue that does drip onto my surfaces, what else can be done? If I
don't notice a drip right away, is there anything to be done besides
sanding it off? And does that even work, or will the glue have seeped
into the wood too far? (By the way, I'm using red oak here.)

Thanks,

Scott

David January 17th 06 03:09 AM

Glue on wood during glue-up!!!

wrote:
I'm beginning glue-up of some bookshelves prior to finishing. I am
concerned that I will get wood glue on portions of the wood that should
show, and that they will therefore not take stain.

What precautions can I take against having this happen? What can I do
when it does happen? Obviously, I'll be ready with a rag to wipe off
any glue that does drip onto my surfaces, what else can be done? If I
don't notice a drip right away, is there anything to be done besides
sanding it off? And does that even work, or will the glue have seeped
into the wood too far? (By the way, I'm using red oak here.)

Thanks,

Scott

put blue tape next to all joints and be sure to securely press the edge
of the tape down, adjacent to the glued joint. That beats starving the
joint for glue because one is afraid of having too much squeeze out.
wiping down excess glue with a wet rag doesn't work all that well.
you'll still get glue in the pores, interfering with finishing.

Dave

FriscoSoxFan January 17th 06 03:19 AM

Glue on wood during glue-up!!!

Definitely use the blue tape as mentioned....

However, a couple of weeks ago I tried the new Elmer's stainable wood
glue. According to the package, it uses sawdust or real wood as one of
the ingredients to help absorb stain. I was building a whole bunch of
"pot drawers" to go inside our kitchen base cabinets. Since these would
not be visible and be filled with pots, I wasn't too concerned with
100% perfect finishing, so I skipped the tape and just sponged off
excess with a damp rag during glue-up. The stain finish came out
amazingly better than when I used to use just yellow glue. This was on
red oak ply.

Leif Thorvaldson January 17th 06 06:42 AM

Glue on wood during glue-up!!!

On 16 Jan 2006 18:54:36 -0800, wrote:

I'm beginning glue-up of some bookshelves prior to finishing. I am
concerned that I will get wood glue on portions of the wood that should
show, and that they will therefore not take stain.

What precautions can I take against having this happen? What can I do
when it does happen? Obviously, I'll be ready with a rag to wipe off
any glue that does drip onto my surfaces, what else can be done? If I
don't notice a drip right away, is there anything to be done besides
sanding it off? And does that even work, or will the glue have seeped
into the wood too far? (By the way, I'm using red oak here.)

Thanks,

Scott

What's this blue tape you are talking about??

Leif

David January 17th 06 06:46 AM

Glue on wood during glue-up!!!

Leif Thorvaldson wrote:

On 16 Jan 2006 18:54:36 -0800, wrote:

I'm beginning glue-up of some bookshelves prior to finishing. I am
concerned that I will get wood glue on portions of the wood that should
show, and that they will therefore not take stain.

What precautions can I take against having this happen? What can I do
when it does happen? Obviously, I'll be ready with a rag to wipe off
any glue that does drip onto my surfaces, what else can be done? If I
don't notice a drip right away, is there anything to be done besides
sanding it off? And does that even work, or will the glue have seeped
into the wood too far? (By the way, I'm using red oak here.)

Thanks,

Scott

What's this blue tape you are talking about??

Leif

3M's Painter's Tape

Dave

dadiOH January 17th 06 11:49 AM

Glue on wood during glue-up!!!

wrote:
I'm beginning glue-up of some bookshelves prior to finishing. I am
concerned that I will get wood glue on portions of the wood that
should show, and that they will therefore not take stain.

What precautions can I take against having this happen?

Stain/finish areas that won't be glued before gluing
_________________

What can I do
when it does happen? Obviously, I'll be ready with a rag to wipe off
any glue that does drip onto my surfaces, what else can be done? If I
don't notice a drip right away, is there anything to be done besides
sanding it off?

If it's dripping you are using too much glue. If you are worrying about
minor squeeze out at the joint - small droplets - let it dry and
cut/scrape off with a chisel.

Alternatively, you could scrape it off while wet...I sometimes use a
beveled piece of hardwood shaped like a chisel blade to do so; I then
use a damp paper towel over my scraper and scrape again; finally, a dry
paper towel over the scraper. But this is only it I was sloppy and got
*lots* of squeeze out; I prefer letting it dry and cutting/scraping it
off.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it at
http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

LP January 17th 06 09:11 PM

Glue on wood during glue-up!!!

On 16 Jan 2006 18:54:36 -0800, wrote:

I'm beginning glue-up of some bookshelves prior to finishing. I am
concerned that I will get wood glue on portions of the wood that should
show, and that they will therefore not take stain.

What precautions can I take against having this happen? What can I do
when it does happen? Obviously, I'll be ready with a rag to wipe off
any glue that does drip onto my surfaces, what else can be done? If I
don't notice a drip right away, is there anything to be done besides
sanding it off? And does that even work, or will the glue have seeped
into the wood too far? (By the way, I'm using red oak here.)

Thanks,

Scott

I typically use aniline dye so just prior to glue up I color all the
areas in/near the joints where glue might smear.
Once the glue is dry any squeeze out can be scraped/sanded off and the
wood is still colored underneath. Then you can do your final sanding
and stain the whole piece and any glue near the joints will all but
disappear.

With the dye this only takes a few minutes of prep prior to glue up,
but if you're using oil-based stains you'll have to wait out its
normal drying time before gluing. And no, it wont interfere with your
glue joint.

[email protected] January 18th 06 03:07 AM

Glue on wood during glue-up!!!

Okay.... Why use aniline dye? Why not just touch the areas around the
joint with the stain I'm planning on using anyway? Does the aniline
give some advantage here?

LP January 18th 06 07:10 AM

Glue on wood during glue-up!!!

On 17 Jan 2006 19:07:20 -0800, wrote:

Okay.... Why use aniline dye? Why not just touch the areas around the
joint with the stain I'm planning on using anyway? Does the aniline
give some advantage here?

Sorry I guess I wasnt too clear on that point. I mentioned aniline
because its what I use almost exclusively and thats the method I
outlined. If you plan to use some other type stain on your project
then by all means use it to touch up the joints prior to glue up.

Once your glue dries and you do a little sanding on the joints they
look pretty nasty but forge ahead and once you get your stain/topcoat
on it will look just fine.

Brooks Moses January 18th 06 07:35 AM

Glue on wood during glue-up!!!

Leif Thorvaldson wrote:
On 16 Jan 2006 18:54:36 -0800, wrote:
What precautions can I take against having this happen? What can I do
when it does happen? Obviously, I'll be ready with a rag to wipe off
any glue that does drip onto my surfaces, what else can be done? If I
don't notice a drip right away, is there anything to be done besides
sanding it off? And does that even work, or will the glue have seeped
into the wood too far? (By the way, I'm using red oak here.)

What's this blue tape you are talking about??

It's a high-quality masking tape that's designed to not leave adhesive
residue behind even if it's left on for a day or two.

- Brooks

Eric Berning January 24th 06 12:39 AM

Glue on wood during glue-up!!!

wrote:
I'm beginning glue-up of some bookshelves prior to finishing. I am
concerned that I will get wood glue on portions of the wood that should
show, and that they will therefore not take stain.

What precautions can I take against having this happen? What can I do
when it does happen? Obviously, I'll be ready with a rag to wipe off
any glue that does drip onto my surfaces, what else can be done? If I
don't notice a drip right away, is there anything to be done besides
sanding it off? And does that even work, or will the glue have seeped
into the wood too far? (By the way, I'm using red oak here.)

Thanks,

Scott

Just noticed a new product in the recent Wood. Called De-Glue Goo.
They seemed to like it. Never tried it myself.
Eric

Ivan January 24th 06 04:56 AM

Glue on wood during glue-up!!!

"Eric Berning" wrote in message
I'm beginning glue-up of some bookshelves prior to finishing. I am
concerned that I will get wood glue on portions of the wood that should
show, and that they will therefore not take stain.

What precautions can I take against having this happen? What can I do
when it does happen? Obviously, I'll be ready with a rag to wipe off
any glue that does drip onto my surfaces, what else can be done? If I
don't notice a drip right away, is there anything to be done besides
sanding it off? And does that even work, or will the glue have seeped
into the wood too far? (By the way, I'm using red oak here.)

Thanks,

Scott

Mask where you don't want glue with painters tape.