marcus

Default white glue vs wood glue

Greetings,
I am building 2 dozen mitered wooden frames out of straight, cheap white
wood. I have done this before using white glue, and could handle the
frames and drill out the corners for pins after 30 minutes of clamping
with a strap clamp. Today I am using wood glue (elmer's) and after 30
minutes of clamping the joints won't even hold the weight of the wood.
Is this typical of wood glue vs white glue?
-- clh

JLR

If you are talking about glues like titebond and elmer's then it is my
understanding they are both Polyvinyl acetates except that titebond has
a resin for moisture. Try a clamping time of 1 hour?

Phisherman

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:41:04 -0800, marcus wrote:

Greetings,
I am building 2 dozen mitered wooden frames out of straight, cheap white
wood. I have done this before using white glue, and could handle the
frames and drill out the corners for pins after 30 minutes of clamping
with a strap clamp. Today I am using wood glue (elmer's) and after 30
minutes of clamping the joints won't even hold the weight of the wood.
Is this typical of wood glue vs white glue?
-- clh

Allow the glue to cure overnight, preferably with the clamps in place.

marcus

Phisherman wrote:
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:41:04 -0800, marcus wrote:

Greetings,
I am building 2 dozen mitered wooden frames out of straight, cheap white
wood. I have done this before using white glue, and could handle the
frames and drill out the corners for pins after 30 minutes of clamping
with a strap clamp. Today I am using wood glue (elmer's) and after 30
minutes of clamping the joints won't even hold the weight of the wood.
Is this typical of wood glue vs white glue?
-- clh

Allow the glue to cure overnight, preferably with the clamps in place.

THanx -- but I have 24 of these to glue. I will try titebond and glamp
for 30-40 minutes I think, then 24 hours before drilling.

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 14:38:48 -0800, marcus wrote:

Phisherman wrote:
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:41:04 -0800, marcus wrote:

Greetings,
I am building 2 dozen mitered wooden frames out of straight, cheap white
wood. I have done this before using white glue, and could handle the
frames and drill out the corners for pins after 30 minutes of clamping
with a strap clamp. Today I am using wood glue (elmer's) and after 30
minutes of clamping the joints won't even hold the weight of the wood.
Is this typical of wood glue vs white glue?
-- clh

Allow the glue to cure overnight, preferably with the clamps in place.

THanx -- but I have 24 of these to glue. I will try titebond and glamp
for 30-40 minutes I think, then 24 hours before drilling.

try using masking tape for the clamps. then you can have an infinite
number of clamps....
John Carlson

I don't think it's the glue. Normally, 30 minutes would be enough,
but a miter joint is basically gluing end grain to end grain joint and
that males it a weak joint, so it probably needs longer. Try waiting
maybe an hour before taking off the clamps and then moving the joint
only gently, preferably just sliding it on a table and not picking it
up and asking it to hold weight. After 24 hours the glue is probably
as strong as it's going to get so you should be able to pick it up. I
would wait that long before trying to drill it.

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:41:04 -0800, marcus wrote:

Greetings,
I am building 2 dozen mitered wooden frames out of straight, cheap white
wood. I have done this before using white glue, and could handle the
frames and drill out the corners for pins after 30 minutes of clamping
with a strap clamp. Today I am using wood glue (elmer's) and after 30
minutes of clamping the joints won't even hold the weight of the wood.
Is this typical of wood glue vs white glue?
-- clh

-- jc
Published e-mail address is strictly for spam collection.
If e-mailing me, please use jc631 at optonline dot net
Duane Bozarth

marcus wrote:

Phisherman wrote:
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:41:04 -0800, marcus wrote:

Greetings,
I am building 2 dozen mitered wooden frames out of straight, cheap white
wood. I have done this before using white glue, and could handle the
frames and drill out the corners for pins after 30 minutes of clamping
with a strap clamp. Today I am using wood glue (elmer's) and after 30
minutes of clamping the joints won't even hold the weight of the wood.
Is this typical of wood glue vs white glue?
-- clh

Allow the glue to cure overnight, preferably with the clamps in place.

THanx -- but I have 24 of these to glue. I will try titebond and glamp
for 30-40 minutes I think, then 24 hours before drilling.

I personally don't like Elmer's...I know, it should be the same as any
other but it just doesn't seem to work as well as the yellow aliphatic
glues. 30-40 minutes should be plenty if you handle them carefully,
assuming the glue is not old (is it stringy? -- if so, throw it out and
get fresh) or not too cold where you're working (if it's 50, it just
won't dry and hold even if new).

This is a good application for a small brad nailer...

There are also formulations for trim work that are somewhat thicker and
quicker setup time that would be good for such an application...