Duane Bozarth

marcus wrote:

Phisherman wrote:
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:41:04 -0800, marcus wrote:

Greetings,
I am building 2 dozen mitered wooden frames out of straight, cheap white
wood. I have done this before using white glue, and could handle the
frames and drill out the corners for pins after 30 minutes of clamping
with a strap clamp. Today I am using wood glue (elmer's) and after 30
minutes of clamping the joints won't even hold the weight of the wood.
Is this typical of wood glue vs white glue?
-- clh

Allow the glue to cure overnight, preferably with the clamps in place.

THanx -- but I have 24 of these to glue. I will try titebond and glamp
for 30-40 minutes I think, then 24 hours before drilling.

I personally don't like Elmer's...I know, it should be the same as any
other but it just doesn't seem to work as well as the yellow aliphatic
glues. 30-40 minutes should be plenty if you handle them carefully,
assuming the glue is not old (is it stringy? -- if so, throw it out and
get fresh) or not too cold where you're working (if it's 50, it just
won't dry and hold even if new).

This is a good application for a small brad nailer...

There are also formulations for trim work that are somewhat thicker and
quicker setup time that would be good for such an application...